Los geht's - Let's get that German translation rolling

With the recent call for community translators, it's probably a matter of mere months until we can expect first results.

Let's collect material in the meantime which the translators, whoever they may be, can use as an inspiration and source for community approved ideas.

I've prepared a Google Sheets Document, currently containing currency, a bit UI and maps; each on a subsheet.
There are the original names of the items and several fields for suggested translations. If you want, add to them or make a new subsheet for Weapons, Armour, NPC dialogue, Lore items (weathered carvings, books and the like).

I'm aware that there are tools better suited for translating a project, like Transifex or Zanata to name but two, but I can't just setup a PoE translation there. This also means that if you do decide to contribute to the sheets, this work may be mostly in vain, since I think that the final translation project will be using a platform (such as Zanata or Transifex).
Especially getting the original text (from the wiki, for example) is quite a chore.

When you look at the suggestions I have written down so far, please bear in mind that I'm not really satisfied with "Sphäre" for "Orb", but "Kugel" seems too profane. "Globulus" or "Globus" might work, but one reminds of homeopathy, the other of geography, so perhaps not. :D

Anyway, here's the WIP:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kzK3OUtOQTyXe5r2faaGSbDQse6fTaUZrATOlsoXm30/edit?usp=sharing
You can insert comments. I don't want to give everyone with the link the right to edit. If you do want to contribute, PM me an email address so I can invite you to edit.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
Last edited by Mikrotherion on Mar 21, 2017, 4:20:14 AM
Last bumped on Mar 28, 2017, 2:45:06 AM
First suggestion: Using "Stein" (stone) for orb. It has no connection to a particular shape and some alchemist/fantasy reference as in "Stein der Weisen" ("Philosopher's Stone") as well as something precious ("Edelstein", "gemstone").
Last edited by Alysma on Mar 17, 2017, 9:50:32 AM
"
Alysma wrote:
First suggestion: Using "Stein" (stone) for orb. It has no connection to a particular shape and some alchemist/fantasy reference as in "Stein der Weisen" ("Philosopher's Stone") as well as something precious ("Edelstein", "gemstone").

This is a good suggestion. The literal sense of "orb" is "Kugel" but this sounds really bad.

I don't want to see a "Chaoskugel" or "Schmelzkugel". Far more worse would be the Exalted Orb, in a literal way it would be "Erhabene Kugel" or "erhöhende Kugel".

Brr, no thx.

With the term "Stein" it sounds less stupid. But not really satisfying.
"Sphäre" would kind of work too.
Imagine this:

Sphäre der Verschmelzung (Orb of Fusing)
Chaotische Sphäre (Chaos Orb)
Erhabene Sphäre (Exalted Orb)
Schimmernde Sphäre (Jewellers Orb)

Not too bad either.

And to be honest, I would more translate the skill gems into "Edelsteine" or "Steine" somehow.

I like the idea of brainstorming for the right words. Since we have so many of it in our beloved language :D

Cheers!
█▀▀▌ █▌█▀▀▀ █▀▀▌█▄░▌
█▀▀█ █▌▀▀▀█ █░░▌█▀▌▌
█▄▄▌ █▌█▄▄█ █▄▄▌█░█▌
"Sphäre"/"sphere" sounds kinda fragile to me, though. I'd always be afraid to find a precious Exalted Sphere ground to Exalted Dust in a corner of the inventory :-D.

Edit: How about Kristall (crystal) for orbs? It has sort of the same connotation/tone as "stone" - a variety of shapes, solid, magical - but leaves "stone" to be potentially used for gems.
Last edited by Alysma on Mar 17, 2017, 11:16:00 AM
That you'll need s sphere of fusing to get the dust back to its old shape. :D

Any other ideas how we can translate "orb" further more?

I mean... Kügelchen would be also possible. Thos things are small, so why not belittle this?

Chaotisches Kügelchen?

or

Alchemistisches Steinchen?

To settle this more, what are the Orbs? Those are materials or gems or "magic ingredients" or what?

I for my self see those as materials to alter Items/things with. So Stein/Kugel or Steinchen/Kügelchen would kinda fit the most.

This is tricky. I like to think about this.

edit: edit incoming

"
Alysma wrote:

Edit: How about Kristall (crystal) for orbs? It has sort of the same connotation/tone as "stone" - a variety of shapes, solid, magical - but leaves "stone" to be potentially used for gems.

Kristall, also a very valid option tho.

Farbkristall (Chromes)
Mächtiger Kristall (Exalted - better fitting word)
Umwandelnder Kristall (Transmute)

Doesn't sound too bad.
█▀▀▌ █▌█▀▀▀ █▀▀▌█▄░▌
█▀▀█ █▌▀▀▀█ █░░▌█▀▌▌
█▄▄▌ █▌█▄▄█ █▄▄▌█░█▌
Last edited by eviL_Bison on Mar 17, 2017, 11:32:15 AM
i would use different words for some of the currency items. for some is "stein" a good use, for other maybe "scherbe", "ei" or whatever but dont brutefore all orbs into one translations-sheme.
"don't worry GGG, it's ok!"
Added character dialogue for Templar and Witch, all Maps, all Skills, armour helmets, some more UI.

Regarding not using the same translation for "orb" for every item: Would make things easier. However, there is one point that speaks against it: While the more mundane items (armourer's scrap, b's whetstone, etc.) that alter the quality of gems, items, maps all have different names, the ones that have an effect on the magic properties of an item are all called Orb of X or X Orb. So I think this schematic should be kept in German as well. Perhaps.
Although, looking more closely at it, many of the orbs are surprisingly unspherical - so "Sphäre" does indeed not always fit the actual item.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
With exalted orbs "Erhabene Sphäre" has a much more fitting sound to it than "Erhabener Stein" I think.
Stein sounds pretty dull, lacks elegance. Kristall could work, even though its a stretch.

"Scherbe" is going to be used for the actual Shards. Alteration shards etc. therefor thats not really an option.
In my opinion, the Orbs should have the same name.

If u want to trade with someone, they will ask for Exalted Orb.

So he want Exalted Orb and i have Scherben, Spähren, Steine whatever. Too confusing.

Just translate the text information, not the name of the Orb.
(Mainly) agree with this. Even as they announced an automatic 'transformation' between the different languages...

There's no need to use a different word than "Orb"; maybe even no better word regarding all currencies.
For each type it should be deeply considered, if its 'neccessary' to change its name (only if really suiting better). 'Exalt', 'Chaos' 'Mirror' are best to stay, 'Alchemy', 'Jeweller' could be simply transformed to 'Alchemie'/'Juwelier' , others need more creativitiy on translating ('Chromatic' -> 'Regenbogen'?, 'Augmentation' -> 'Ergänzung'?...)

Generally, I think it should not tend into a 'too much funny' direction, especially with currencies.
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
Last edited by Mr_Cee on Mar 20, 2017, 4:51:07 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info