Unique Item Design Proposal - Feedback Appreciated

Ho boy, that necro. Honestly, I had forgotten about my sig. I'll need to share some details about the design that had changed since its original posting, but...

Before going into more detail about the proposal, and some changes that had occurred after some discussion with people who provided feedback here (in PM, so it's not visible), I should state that the decision to purchase such a pack was put on hold.

Even if it hadn't been placed on hold, and I decided to go through with it, I would have needed to do so close to when this thread was created. Recently, Chris has stated that the purchase of unique item design by supporters is on hold. This is due to the backlog that already exists.

I'll probably just end up making a Div card instead, if I decide to drop a lot of cash.

EDIT: Time to dive into the design decision changes.
Spoiler

After more discussion with Shags, and further inspection, the effective 7L was obviously too good. Even when surrendering your weapon slot.

Just throw 3 minion skills in it. That's three 5L. Sure, it was meant to give you a single 7L, but as a summoner... They're not really going to do that, are they? Frees room elsewhere that they can abuse other things.

Idea #1 was basically scrapped, after I realized my first iteration was going to either be a summoner chase item upon release and then nerfed into oblivion, or GGG wouldn't allow it past design processing.

The more realistic version was a shield (still keeping the idea of an ES base that looks like a tome, and disabling the weapon slot) that granted a stacking bonus to minions, or to spells, based upon the opposite.

It would, in effect, be the spell/shield version of the Chimera claw unique. Except both could not be used in tandem. I wanted some interaction with stacking minion damage and/or life to translate into increased spell power. Or vice versa.

Some thoughts flew around about minions applying permanent curses, as well. Or refreshing the duration of curses on enemies they hit (basically permanent curses).

I should probably edit my signature now, too.

For what it's worth, Warlord, I appreciate you taking the time to visit my thread and look at the OP. A lot changed about the shield based on feedback in this thread/through PMs by people in this thread.

I'll keep everything here in mind if I should revisit unique item design in the future.
Bring back race seasons.
Last edited by AbdulAlhazred on Dec 5, 2017, 4:53:49 AM
I understand that the idea is put on hold for now but what came to my mind when you mentioned the idea of some mod like the scourge is this:

- Modifiers that would apply to you apply to your Minions instead
- Modifiers that would apply to your Minions apply to you instead

However, it would need further evaluation as it would be quite overpowered like this (in terms of minion strength). On the other hand, it would also be fun to balance out all the downsides. For example you wouldnt get any resistances from your equipped items except they have a mod like 'Minions have +(6-10)% to all Elemental Resistances' (like 'Herd the Flock' or jewel mods). This, of course, also would be the case for life or ES from items. Hard to make up for that one. Maybe by 'Each active minion reduces damage taken by 1%'. Not sure in what way support gems to minions should work in this case (like the elemental resistances and increased minion life gems). Well it is very hypothetical anyway.
"
AbdulAlhazred wrote:
Hey guys. Let me preface this by saying I have not purchased a unique item design just yet, but am in the process of getting things together to set up a payment plan for this some time next month.

I'm not looking for feedback on how crazy or stupid I am: I realize how much money I'm dropping on pixels. I'm simply looking for feedback from players because while I do want my item to be unique, niche, and fit a very specific theme (and pay homage to a very specific story), I also want it to look attractive to players. I do not want to create an item that would never see use, and instead rot as a line of text on the poe.wiki/inside some collector's stash tab.

Basically, I would like feedback on how attractive the item would look if you played a build that could use it. It's not going to be for everyone, but try to "walk in my shoes" for a minute as a summoner, and give me your thoughts. Even if you tell me something like "this item is dogshit, try again", I want to know. Granted, I would like to know why you think it is dogshit, but if you told me, I would take that into consideration.

TL;DR: I'm a crazy asshole planning to drop cash on a unique item design. Don't tell me this: I know already. Please tell me if my ideas are good or suck. If you think they suck, please tell me why. Thanks in advance!

Moving on to the meat:

IDEA #1
Spoiler
Our first design outline is going to be a shield. The base item type is undecided, and may be left up to GGG's discretion (as I have no preference) in order for them to manipulate the item's power budget if it is too powerful in other aspects.

What I want from the shield, and things that are non-negotiable:
1. 2D art is of a book (I want 3D artwork where the worn shield is instead a held book, but I understand if technical limitations delay this, or make it impossible).
2. Item name is The Necronomicon. Item design is inspired by The Necronomicon of H.P. Lovecraft fame, written by the author "The Mad Arab" Abdul Alhazred.
3. Item has "Socketed Skill Gems in this item are supported by Minion Damage, Minion Life, Minion Speed, Minion and Totem Elemental Resistances (Level of these gems is undecided, and may be argued for/against based upon GGG's balance team).
4. Item has "Cannot use Weapons" mod. This would prohibit anything in your main hand. Or, at least, disable it after the shield was equipped (similar to how Bringer of Rain disables worn chests if you equip a chest piece first).
5. Item has "Cannot block attacks". This for both for power budget reasons in order to balance other aspects of it, the thematic of summoner sacrifice (most summoner uniques sacrifice personal power in order to provide incredible minion support), and because it's a book. Not a shield.
6. Item has Insanity mod. See Innsbury Edge for more details on that.

The goal behind this shield is to give summoners something they have long been starved for: sockets. The book (well, shield) would effectively be a 7L item. Normally Summoners are forced into only one 6L as a chest piece, with other minions lagging behind in a 4L, OR summoners being forced to give up a shield/weapon slot for a 2H weapon.

I wanted to keep this aspect of sacrifice by disabling a weapon slot, but I wanted to provide players with more "bang" for their buck by giving them a 7L item that already has every minion gem supporting their chosen skill. The idea here being that summoners can have their cake and eat it too: get a 6L zombie/spectre in your chest piece and a 7L zombie/spectre in your shield! Obviously, this is not meant for animate weapon/SRS builds. We have Cloak + Dream sword for animate weapon and +3 fire staves for SRS. Those are already BIS. I'm looking to make the old zombie/spectre meta more attractive (without gutting zombie army size like Grasp).

The story behind the item is that The Necronomicon was written by Abdul Alhazred containing all of his knowledge of the Great Old Ones and dark power. So having it in your possession would obviously boost your dark rites! This is one of the major reasons why I wanted it to have the Insanity mod.

IDEA #2
Spoiler
Our second outline is going to be a unique map. I'll preface this by saying I don't want to go into a lot of detail about it because, unlike the shield, I would want the map to keep an air of mystery to it (if I go with its idea) so that when it finally makes it into the game and the drop pool, players are left with a sense of wonder, dread, or awe. Probably dread for HC players. But let me list off some things I'd be willing to spoil:

1. At some point during players entering the map, they will be under the effects of the Insanity mod.
2. The map has no boss.
3. The item name is The Dreamer's Tomb (up for debate/discussion - may go for something else).
4. Defeating the map always produces a guaranteed Old God unique item. So far, this would be limited to Old One's Ward, Innsbury Edge, and Deep One's Hide (the unique map itself would be included in the drop pool: GET A MAP IN YOUR MAP SO YOU CAN MAP WHILE YOU MAP!).

Idea behind this map, and its story, is that the player enters the map device and is transported to R'lyeh.

i pmed you a couple of ideas.
Perm. Retired from this unforgiving land of the Exiles.
Self-impost EXILED.
I thought they don't let people make Uniques anymore, as per this amusing thread https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2027391

Recruiting for Archnemesis League/Siege of the Atlas!
Umbra Exiles:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3244875
The Official Path of Exile Guild Directory:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1192567
"
StDrakeX wrote:
I thought they don't let people make Uniques anymore, as per this amusing thread https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2027391

That's right. And I mentioned that.

"
AbdulAlhazred wrote:
Even if it hadn't been placed on hold, and I decided to go through with it, I would have needed to do so close to when this thread was created. Recently, Chris has stated that the purchase of unique item design by supporters is on hold. This is due to the backlog that already exists.

I'll probably just end up making a Div card instead, if I decide to drop a lot of cash.
Bring back race seasons.
"
starsg wrote:
i pmed you a couple of ideas.

Thanks. I'll keep those in mind if I revisit unique item design and when GGG allows the design purchase again.
Bring back race seasons.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info