Unique Item Design Proposal - Feedback Appreciated

"
Hlifhildr wrote:
Necronomicon tooltip

Insanity is a hidden modifier :P wouldn't show up on the tooltip.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
"
AbdulAlhazred wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
I really don't like your shield idea. Really don't. It basically replaces two six-links and leaves your chest for another. It would give a summoner the power to have 3 summons AND a six-link in their chest. Way too much.

Maybe there's some confusion here. It's not replacing two six-links. It's replacing one. A two-handed weapon slot.

It took me longer than I should have but I've figured out what Shagsbeard was talking about.
A 3-socket shield with 4 minion support gems can be used as two six-link items instead of one seven-link when you socket two minion gems in there.

"
Sexcalibure wrote:

You do know it's not a thread for any unique item proposals but rather discussion of AbdulAlhazred's unique item proposals?
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
Last edited by crystalwitch on Mar 17, 2017, 8:25:58 PM
Extremely interesting ideas you have there!

Have you considered the stat-stacking mechanic that is happening on items these days?
The Baron is themed around giving strength to minions, this Necronomicon of forbidden knowledge could give minions stats based on intelligence!
Something akin to:
- Minions have +1% minion speed per X intelligence
- If you have at least 666 intelligence, grants skill "Summon Forbidden One" - which could be a defined type of spectre, something summoners have been wanting since the dawn of PoE.

That would also help circumvent the 3 6-link issue because as a shield, it can only have 3 sockets. If you add "Gems in this item are supported by lvl 20 Minion Damage" to make the item a 5L if you use it for its purpose (summoning Forbidden Ones with 3 socketes support gems), socketing another minion active would create 2 4L-s, which is perfectly fine from a balance perspective.
Last edited by eemmbbeerr on Mar 17, 2017, 11:01:47 PM
"
crystalwitch wrote:
"
AbdulAlhazred wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
I really don't like your shield idea. Really don't. It basically replaces two six-links and leaves your chest for another. It would give a summoner the power to have 3 summons AND a six-link in their chest. Way too much.

Maybe there's some confusion here. It's not replacing two six-links. It's replacing one. A two-handed weapon slot.

It took me longer than I should have but I've figured out what Shagsbeard was talking about.
A 3-socket shield with 4 minion support gems can be used as two six-link items instead of one seven-link when you socket two minion gems in there.

I see that now, too. Of course, that was intentional to begin with, but I didn't understand what he meant.

However, I'd like to point out that it would not be optimal to put multiple minion gems inside The Necronomicon. You lose out on multistrike and melee splash for zombies, or spell echo and greater multiple projectiles for spectres.

In fact, I would say that Minion Speed and Minion and Totem Elemental Resistance are almost overlooked these days. They're a nice cherry on top of the cake, but they're not the "required" support gems for any minion setup. Most people will entirely skip the addition of these gems (except maybe Speed for certain builds). These two are more for an extra "oomph". Like Blind in Bringer of Rain.

But, yes. If you wanted to have a sub-optimal 5L, you could throw THREE minion gems in my shield for 3 5L minions. Part of the attraction here IS "oh my god so many sockets are freed up!" with my shield. Summoners have been starved of this too long: I want it to change.
Bring back race seasons.
Last edited by AbdulAlhazred on Mar 18, 2017, 3:13:02 AM
"
Hlifhildr wrote:

That's basically what I'm going for, yep! Inanity would be a hidden modifier, though.

I'm not certain I would ever include an oskill. I don't like the idea of a game where anyone can be anything, (want to be a duelist with arc? go for it you crazy bastard) EXCEPT when it comes to oskill items. Then it shoehorns you into situations like Whispering Ice, where you have to be located in a certain area of the tree to make it good.

Proc skills (like Ngamahu's Flame) and oskill items (like Whispering Ice) are not things I am a big fan of, and I will probably stay away from. The closest I might come to is an idea I am cooking in my head concerning curses, and minion interaction with that.
Bring back race seasons.
"
eemmbbeerr wrote:
Extremely interesting ideas you have there!

Have you considered the stat-stacking mechanic that is happening on items these days?
The Baron is themed around giving strength to minions, this Necronomicon of forbidden knowledge could give minions stats based on intelligence!
Something akin to:
- Minions have +1% minion speed per X intelligence
- If you have at least 666 intelligence, grants skill "Summon Forbidden One" - which could be a defined type of spectre, something summoners have been wanting since the dawn of PoE.

That would also help circumvent the 3 6-link issue because as a shield, it can only have 3 sockets. If you add "Gems in this item are supported by lvl 20 Minion Damage" to make the item a 5L if you use it for its purpose (summoning Forbidden Ones with 3 socketes support gems), socketing another minion active would create 2 4L-s, which is perfectly fine from a balance perspective.

If GGG have an issue with the "oh my God, you can have three 5L with this shield, it's broken!" idea, I will probably do what I detailed earlier in the thread, and tie the supports to a stat-stacking mechanic. It would intertwine with the spell damage modifier detailed earlier.

For example:
"Increases and Reductions to Spell Damage also apply to Minion Damage"
OR
"Increases and Reductions to Minion Damage also apply to Spell Damage"
(whichever is less broken by GGG standards)

And THEN:
"Your Minions gain 1% more Minion Damage per 10% increased Spell Damage you have"
"Your Minions gain 2% increased Minion Life per 10% increased Spell Damage you have"
"Your Minions gain 2% increased Elemental Resistance per 10% increased Spell Damage you have"
"Your Minions gain 1% increased Attack, Cast and Movement Speed per 10% increased Spell Damage you have"

This would be in addition to being on an ES shield with a spell damage implicit, and likely having a variable spell damage OR minion damage roll on the shield (based on the increases and reductions interaction we go with).
Bring back race seasons.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Oh, just to add re: R'lyeh, I've personally seen some of the fucked up shit the devs can do to wall textures with very little effort.

If you do take option 2, don't settle for anything less than what R'lyeh deserves.

Good to know! I definitely would want the player to feel lost in a horrific dreamscape with alien geometries that shouldn't work in normal mathematics. I feel like my unique map would be a lot of fun to design for both myself, the developers, and the artists.

There's a lot I'd love to share about my unique map here, but I'm very iffy on it. Because, as I said earlier, I want it to remain a mystery (at least, as long as there is no YouTube video of it up and Streamers haven't touched it out of fear) when it is released. If I go into a lot of detail here, the horror would be lost. Which is, obviously, a main piece of all Lovecraft fiction.

I want mappers to go in blind.
Bring back race seasons.
"
Hlifhildr wrote:

My Necromancer needs this book in her life.
Remember when I won a screenshot contest and made everyone butt-hurt? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
"
Lachdanan wrote:
okay, why not, lets swing that old hammer of hephaistos again and play a song on the hellforge once more. The screams of agony and pain from the devs trying to escape the GGG headquarter are exactly what they signed up for :)

Lets take the path of least resistance, be like water, breaking twigs crumbling stone and drowning men alive.

You want a book, books are a weapontype that use both hand slots providing marginal effects while moving and additional bonis while stationary e.g. reading from it. Masters-mods are paleblue, book-mods are purple ? That should be enough to differentiate them from quivers and shields.

Necronomicum
2hand book (4 sockets)
+10-20% spelldamage (inherent)
-----------------------------
+200 Energyshield
Socketed gems are supported by lvl X Minion Damage
Socketed gems are supported by lvl Y Minion Speed
Socketed gems are supported by lvl Z Minion Attractivity
Your Minions can apply 3 additional curses (totems are not minions)
Your skelletons apply Vulnerability X on hit
Your zombies apply Elemental weakness Y on hit
Your specters apply whats it called again on hit

I like the path of least resistance idea. And I'll probably just do a scaling mechanic as mentioned a few times previously in this thread in order to avoid the "lolomghaxbbqbroken" "free three 5L" cries as people rally around with pitchforks. The Necronomicon was a dark grimoire filled with knowledge and power. I want it to have some interactions with spells and spell damage. So the scaling mechanic (and tying that into the minion support gem modifiers) would be easier and give GGG more levers to tune.

Not entirely sure GGG would allow me to invent an entirely new item base type, but I would love that!

I like the idea of giving Minions the ability to apply additional curses. I don't like the forced curses, however. I want that to be flexible and up to the player. Maybe they want purely defensive curses like enfeeble, temporal chains, and warlord's mark.

It's an interesting idea that has a good interaction with my new idea, though. I'll detail it more in a stand-alone non-reply post.
Bring back race seasons.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info