My impression of the game.

Well if you are looking for D3 clone poe is not D3 clone. That being said, if you let yourself get into game meaning you pick build/style you like to play and try to gear it up and do some end game content you'll see how awesome this game is. And not to mention we get updates every 3 months and 1 or 2 major updates per year.

I never regret leaving D3. That game just turned super boring and repetitive. Don't forget, Blizzard is focused on WOW while GGG is focused only on PoE. And so on and so on......
I think OP didn't even get to maps, based on some of his claims in his post. It's like comparing chess to tic tac toe.
Spreading salt since 2006
I am very new and would like to offer a few thoughts.

Before started this game, I thought #3 was an issue. After I have actually played this game, I thought it is cool that some decisions do matter. To be fair, passive tree (and the class) is probably the only thing that defines a character. There are still plenty of flexibility in this game.

For #2, after I have started mapping, I reckon difficulty can be set in a more elegant way rather than a numeric slider. Hence, it doesn't bother me.

I thought #1 is awesome and it is what makes PoE stands out from the rest. The so-called combo is largely just meshing cooldown or reapply stuffs. PoE's gem linking allows us to essentially macro a few spells or abilities with one key stroke. There are actually a lot of utility abilities including flasks to use depending on the situation. It can get pretty hectic too for the inexperienced. In short, I love the creativity involved with #1.

My 5 cents.
@LaceInExile

Actually I felt same way about #3 when I first started playing PoE. You simply have to learn how to play in order to understand game mechanics and make it, eventually, easy for yourself. Compared to before PoE is now much easier to play. Heck, we can actually see Exalt orb drop or 6 link that armor and even see and maybe get legacy stuff of legends this league.

Anyhow, even if game was made easy to switch builds and get gear and even get instant lvl 90 it wouldn't matter since I guarantee you that (end) game would still crush newbies. It takes experience, a lot of knowledge and skills to play this game. People quit playing normal difficulty not to mention end content. lol And that's where PoE makes it or brakes it for a lot of players.

If players are looking for easy to beat game than they shouldn't play PoE. If players are looking for challenge than PoE will be one of their favorite games for long, long time.
I really hated D3 skill and character build - You literally cannot break character, just change skills and go. In D2 if skills were allocated wrong way - new char and building from begining.

That is what PoE works. That is why i play PoE for so long time. It is not "dumb-resistant" like D3.
"
de99ial wrote:
I really hated D3 skill and character build - You literally cannot break character, just change skills and go. In D2 if skills were allocated wrong way - new char and building from begining.

That is what PoE works. That is why i play PoE for so long time. It is not "dumb-resistant" like D3.

Well as far as I know PoE is build on D2 game mechanics while D3 is.... blah
Whoever played D2 can tell how similar PoE is to D2 while D3 is.... blah
Last edited by Sidad on Mar 8, 2017, 5:14:27 AM
Honestly, no game can cater to everyone and if it did it would lose its entire identity.

Change the 3 gripes OP has with PoE? You basically get D3 with different graphics, lore and the skilldrasil.

Personally I think neither Path of Exile nor Diablo 3 is a better game overall. They are simply different games and I enjoy both in different ways. Diablo 3 gives intense short-term enjoyment for about a week per season. Path of Exile is more grindy but has more rewarding long-term rewards.
Played D3 on my brothers account only for story. After finishing it game is just boring.
map tiers/mods is basically difficulty slider for endgame.

if you're only using 1 skill, you're doing it wrong. not slamming you, poe has a steep learning curve and I'm happy to admit that I did the same for a long time. but once you get deeper into the mechanics, you'll start using more.

that said, it is true that the vast majority of builds have 1 primary damage-dealing skill. there ARE some mechanical combos that favor multiple active attacks, though, such as proccing bleed with a secondary.

as for regearing being expensive, it's by design, and not going to change.
IGN Stuns_McNutshot | Ichimans_McIchimans | Balls_McCritterson
Last edited by tsftd on Mar 8, 2017, 7:03:32 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info