high CPU usage

I have come looking for some help. When playing POE my CPU is no less than 75 up to 100 with 60 to 75 of it being POE at any given time. My knowledge of computers is basically zero and I'm desperate for help on what I can do. My objective is to figure out if its graphic card issue, cpu issue, etc. Then purchase better stuff to replace the problem, but with the knowledge of if my setup is able to be upgraded. I know, anyone willing to help me will need information from me but I'm not sure exactly what info they'll need so ill post here what I think will be helpful for starters.

CPU: AMD Radeon R7, Compute Cores 4c+8G 2.10 Ghz (my guess is this needs upgraded???)
Installed memory (RAM) 16GB
memory type GDDR5
64bit operating system
windows 10
Dell Inspiron 3656
Graphics Chipset AMD Radeon R9 360 core clock 1050mhz (upgrade??)

Monitor
Acer S271HL, HDMI

Ingame setting ive tried to turn down.
Shadows off
antialiasing off
texture qual medium
texture filtering trilinear
post process unchecked
screen shake unchecked

I truly don't know what is best with those. Ive tried a bunch combinations and theyre either real bad or I end up with 40-70 fps 16-28 frame rate (when not moving but when actually playing both are all over the place)
latency goes from 30 to 150 no matter what

now I'm trying settings in radeon setting. I once got my latency to stay between 20 and 50 in dried lake but that lasted about 20 mins and then back to normal(strange to me)

I know this post is probably terrible to read but Id truly appreciate any help. Thanks fellow exiles!

Last bumped on Jun 12, 2018, 11:37:13 AM
Hello,

If your CPU use is very high that means what you're doing is bringing the CPU to the limit of what it's capable of. The only real way to 'fix' this is replacing the CPU with a more expensive one - which can mean needing a new motherboard, and thus potentially new RAM. Depending on the PSU, you may need a more powerful one for your new components.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Last edited by Sarno on Feb 25, 2017, 12:56:42 PM
Thanks for the reply. Any suggestions on where I can get the info Ill need? Like what CPU to get and how to know if motherboard will need replaced? I guess my question is, where can I find out if the new cpu I purchase will need other new components in order to work. I really need to get caught up to speed on computer knowledge lol
Naturally it can't allow for local prices and any short-term sales you could avail of, but one general guide you could refer to is "best CPUs" by Tom's Hardware. Their goal is to offer one good model per price point to help people find good deals, and they're pretty reliable people.

CPUs and motherboards have sockets, and for them to be used together they need to have the same socket. Since you've got an AMD CPU we already know that buying any Intel CPU will mean needing a new motherboard. Looking at the CPU you (probably) have, I don't think you'd find any meaningful improvements without having to change socket.

Could I ask you to link me to a DxDiag on Pastebin? It'll tell me some information about your computer's hardware, which would help me to answer questions about, well, your computer's hardware. Pastebin is handy because DxDiags are a bit long to sqeeze into a post. Here's how to create one. Obviously you can ignore the last bit about sending it to EA. :)
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

http://pastebin.com/F9Qj3AFh
Sarno,

I am very thankful for your help today. After days of trying and reading posts, ive finally got things somewhat manageable. And although task manager shows my cpu still at 80 to 90(bouncing around) I'm able to play with wayyy smoother gameplay.
A few things ive done...

1. Got my account linked to the standalone client instead of steam.
2. Turned off my AMD profile until I know what to do with it. Other than just setting the taskbar radeon thing to optimize performance.
3. Went with default settings in game except for switching to 1920x1080 and windowed fullscreen

I mean I'm able to have shadows on and texture quality high and still am getting smoother results compared to before.

I still will be looking into upgrading CPU and motherboard. Hell, probably just buy a whole new rig. I know what I have now is middle of the road at best.

Anyways, thanks again for your help. POE is such a great game, and its nice to finally play without frustrations.

"
Processor: AMD FX-8800P

This is the CPU you currently have.

AMD is the company who made it, FX is the series, 8800P is the model.

Something that interests me is that a typically reliable website refers to this CPU as being made for "mainstream laptops". Why exactly Dell would put it in a desktop is beyond me.

I reckon you'll be definitely be changing socket, so you'll want a new motherboard. Might be able to keep using the new RAM. The CPU you have currently uses extremely little power, so I'm not sure if your current PSU would be able to power it properly. Given Dell's hijinks like sneaking a laptop's CPU into your desktop I'm not sure if I'd have confidence in the PSU they chose.

----

I read the same thing today when I google'd my CPU. This is what you get when you buy a "gaming" desktop/monitor combo from a leading electronic retailer for 899$ without any knowledge of what youre getting. lesson learned. Anyways, after everything you've helped me with, I stare at my task manager and my CPU sits at 65%. That's with poe running with shadows on, vsync on AA off texture quality high, post proc on and screen shake on. Plus have 2 chrome pages up, poe.trade and this forum. Yesterday, this wasn't possible. So thank you again.
"
StickEmUpHS wrote:
I read the same thing today when I google'd my CPU. This is what you get when you buy a "gaming" desktop/monitor combo from a leading electronic retailer for 899$ without any knowledge of what youre getting. lesson learned. Anyways, after everything you've helped me with, I stare at my task manager and my CPU sits at 65%. That's with poe running with shadows on, vsync on AA off texture quality high, post proc on and screen shake on. Plus have 2 chrome pages up, poe.trade and this forum. Yesterday, this wasn't possible. So thank you again.

65% cpu for Poe is high
i only have 17% use on poe with video opera up search etc

I using a low computer like 2 year old computer
with
i3 2100 optiplex 390
Radeon HD grahics 6450

Just planning to change Graphic card now :)
Enjoy Legacy!!!!
I know its high but its better than it was. at least its manageable until I upgrade here shortly that's all

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info