Help me understand wildstrike

Hey everyone, have always had a soft spot for wild strike and with the buffs its been getting its time for me to give it another go in 2.6. I just want to make sure I fully understand the mechanics of it so I can build appropriately.

In my example lets assume the 2.6 changes that convert all physical to elemental damage are in place, and every roll rolls fire damage for the sake of simplicity.

My understanding is this..

If we perform a single hit on a target that deals 100 Physical damage, before the hit takes place it is converted to deal 100 Fire damage. THEN, a second hit takes place and deals an additional 100 fire damage as an explosion. So, with a single hit to a target of 100 physical damage, we would be dealing 200 fire damage?

Also, curious what ascendancy people think would be the best with the changes. Trying to decide between Inquisitor and Elementalist (leaning towards the elementalist). Raider also seems like a decent option.
Last bumped on Feb 25, 2017, 12:32:07 AM
it seems it will work the same as now. put the gem somewhere and try it. skill description also says it all. the only difference should be the conversion, which has no effect at all on how the skill works mechanically

we have an initial hit followed by secondary effect dealing the same damage. the element is chosen at random. each element has different secondary effect

in your example, you will deal 2 hits to enemy you initially struck, each 100 fire

PS: there is nothing "the best"

IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Do both hits have their own damage/crit roll? Or is the secondary hit a byproduct of the initial hit?

"
WaterWii wrote:
Do both hits have their own damage/crit roll? Or is the secondary hit a byproduct of the initial hit?

Damage: yes, separate
Critical: no, rolled once per skill use as per general game rules
Byproduct: no, they are separate data entries

Do note that even though critical is rolled once per skill use, you can critical with the melee portion but not the projectile portion or vice versa if you have "melee crit" or "projectile crit," though I'm not sure the latter exists. Crit roll is always 0 to 99.99 and your chance stat is just a threshold, so if your melee crit is 30 and projectile crit is 20 then rolling a 24 for example will give melee crit but not projectile crit, while 17 for example would make both crit.

Replace projectile for area in case of fire roll
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
"
Ludvator wrote:
in your example, you will deal 2 hits to enemy you initially struck, each 100 fire

The initial target does not take damage from the explosion/etc.
So it is my understanding that things like increased melee physical only improve the first part of wild strike, while things like increased melee physical with a sword would effect both aspects. What about nodes that increase melee physical damage while holding a shield? Do they effect both parts of wild strike or only the first?
the secondary effects are never "melee". attack (weapon) modifiers that do not say "melee" will work on everything

edit: thanks Viper for above correction
Last edited by Ludvator on Feb 24, 2017, 1:24:18 PM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
Ludvator wrote:

That's pretty crazy and makes wild strike way less appealing. So the secondary effect never hits the main target?
"
WaterWii wrote:
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
Ludvator wrote:

That's pretty crazy and makes wild strike way less appealing. So the secondary effect never hits the main target?

I could understand the cold missing as it is a projectile that goes behind them, but I don't understand how arc and the giant fire aoe that is right on top of target doesn't hit.
it is skill balance decision. wild strike has very high damage multiplier (similar to pure single target skills) for all the parts. if they allowed initial enemy to be hit twice, they would have to significantly reduce the effectiveness

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info