Viper Strike

hey guys, can you buff viper strike by making the chaos damage as extra damage instead of conversion?

Just a thought, many thanks :)
Last bumped on Feb 28, 2017, 2:18:11 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Isn't that what the new buffed up viper strike jewel does now?

Viper Strike's Threshold Jewel now also grants a 10% chance to gain Unholy Might on hit per poison stack on the enemy, and is limited to 1.

Unholy Might is a buff that grants an additional 30% of physical damage as chaos damage.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
I'm not going to hold my breath on this newest expansion being good for melee, but I might come back to try out solely the new viper strike mechanics.

But yes, looking at the manifesto it appears the new threshold jewels will grant you 10% chance to gain unholy might per poison stack per enemy. So if you have 6 of these jewels, you have 60% chance (to gain unholy might - a nonstacking buff). It's not immediately clear to me how this will work with melee splash hitting 15 mobs for example, I would imagine if you hit 15 mobs though and they each have one stack, then you roll 15 times against your UM value. And so forth. IIRC you can only get 6 total, maybe 5. It's been awhile since I played.

Mechanics aside, unholy might is a really good buff that people used to offhand that one hammer/mace/whatever weapon for, and with these jewels you might not have to now (put something else there). Also, since shadow nodes are being changed to leech from chaos attacks and not just from phys attack damage, you'll be able to leech off that extra damage. So it's a really good change for the jewel and I'm glad GGG looked at those jewels, though glacial hammer is still a joke and I don't think this will "fix" the melee thing.

However there are also new uniques coming (and old ones), so there's that too. Going to need more information before we can judge.

The awesome thing about legacy league is that those items used to be like insane in standard and now they're just a "legacy drop", and in a temp league at that, so depending on how rare those are it might be possible to do some really silly stuff.

If nothing else the league will be really interesting, IDK about viper strike though. I wonder if we can get legacy currency? That eternal orb I've been holding onto in standard is worth like 30ex right now.
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Feb 23, 2017, 6:02:37 PM
The threshold jewel for Viper Strike is limited to 1, so you can only make use of one in the passive tree.

"
Viper Strike's Threshold Jewel now also grants a 10% chance to gain Unholy Might on hit per poison stack on the enemy, and is limited to 1.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Feb 23, 2017, 6:04:38 PM
OH! That's interesting, at first glance I just assumed he meant stacks of UM, but you're right it says 1 jewel.

Well in that instance... idk, I like it better than the way it was before for sure I guess. UM is infinitely better than anything the old jewels provided even at just 10% chance.
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Feb 23, 2017, 8:14:01 PM
"
Legatus1982 wrote:
OH! That's interesting, at first glance I just assumed he meant stacks of UM, but you're right it says 1 jewel.

Well in that instance... idk, I like it better than the way it was before for sure I guess. UM is infinitely better than anything the old jewels provided even at just 10% chance.

Isn't it 10% per poison stack on enemy, so it increases significantly the more you attack?
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
goetzjam wrote:
"
Legatus1982 wrote:

Isn't it 10% per poison stack on enemy, so it increases significantly the more you attack?

And this is a cool way to get 10 APS => 10 Poison stacks per second which should always give you UM until the 5th second of consecutive hitting the same target => boss melter focus.

PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
"
Legatus1982 wrote:

It is more usable now, but it was a lot cooler before.

You could make a build specializing in poison stacks and deal insane attack damage with it... like 800% increased attack damage.
It was super broken, yet stayed under the radar because it did not have the clear speed.

I'd rather them add a poison spread effect to it like binos. That would have been much cooler and far more original.
A kid with a magnifying glass. . . looming down on the anthill. Eventually one is going to get you.
Last edited by Maceless on Feb 23, 2017, 10:25:17 PM
"
Maceless wrote:
"
Legatus1982 wrote:

It is more usable now, but it was a lot cooler before.

You could make a build specializing in poison stacks and deal insane attack damage with it... like 800% increased attack damage.
It was super broken, yet stayed under the radar because it did not have the clear speed.

I'd rather them add a poison spread effect to it like binos. That would have been much cooler and far more original.

I was always aware of the possible brokenness of the old jewel in builds specifically utilizing all of those jewels, and it would go way higher than 800% believe me. The actual upper limit would probably cause some kind of server crash in a dedicated growing agony-specific party.

Regardless though, it was a piece of crap in my opinion for exactly the reason you stated - it actually SLOWED clear speed and in many cases even bosses would just die faster to regular damage than to the scaling limits of VS because of the time-on-target required to reach those limits.

Also, the placement of those jewels was super awkward if you wanted to place all of them. Like the one near duelist I specifically remember being really dumb, requiring like 9 junk travel nodes or something ridiculous like that unless you were an actual duelist.
-----
Bug Fixes:
Viper strike needs some jewel make it Aoe.
no longer playing

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info