Convocation is a bad joke! *rage*

I just don't use it. Necro is the most slot heavy class I've tried, zombies, skels/srs, spectres, and golems, then you have to stack auras and maybe find space to squeeze in desecrate and an offering, where the frick would I put convocation? I don't even have enough slots for auras.
"
Astasia wrote:
I just don't use it. Necro is the most slot heavy class I've tried, zombies, skels/srs, spectres, and golems, then you have to stack auras and maybe find space to squeeze in desecrate and an offering, where the frick would I put convocation? I don't even have enough slots for auras.

To be fair, I'm a little displeased that the Commander of Darkness is even a thing. I was hoping for summoners that could rely purely on minion related things, including a minion only aura or something. Almost hoping that a build that style can emerge with 3.0 or something. If it would be end game viable to run a summoner with no normal auras or blasphemy curses for defense, I would have plenty of sockets to use on my summoners.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
They could at least lessen the cooldown. Would help a lot.
there was a guy that made a summoner build that could kill atziri without losing hp, he used smoke bomb to summon minions and hide in the smoke, few patches later they emplemented convocatiom, because what smoke bomb was doing was not "working as intended".
"
Hlifhildr wrote:
They could at least lessen the cooldown. Would help a lot.

This. Convocation is nice if you know how to use it, it can be offensive or defensive. I agree the cooldown is a bit too long and the spell would be a lot nicer if it was reduced by half.
Character limit of 300 characters exceeded
Content can not exceed 5 lines in length
"
"
Astasia wrote:

To be fair, I'm a little displeased that the Commander of Darkness is even a thing. I was hoping for summoners that could rely purely on minion related things, including a minion only aura or something. Almost hoping that a build that style can emerge with 3.0 or something. If it would be end game viable to run a summoner with no normal auras or blasphemy curses for defense, I would have plenty of sockets to use on my summoners.

That's what generosity (or the related armour) are for.

@OP No skill of any class can be used without a gem slot, that's a silly suggestion and is troll worthy in the scope of this game. maybe melee classes should get leap slam as a non-gem skill? maybe rangers should have blink arrow as a default non-gem skill?

there's nothing special about summoners, just put it in a ring. If your getting all your minions completely stuck in areas you can't move more often than once every 8 seconds, feel free to get a helmet enchant to reduce the cooldown.

While it was certainly fun in D2, tele-stomping is ridiculously OP. convo needs a cooldown.
Last edited by Asmosis on Feb 22, 2017, 3:13:14 AM
As far as slots go, put it in a wand or something in your weapon switch. Just make sure you don't have anything like an Aura or Herald in a main weapon/shield, or it will go down when you switch. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
Asmosis wrote:
@OP No skill of any class can be used without a gem slot, that's a silly suggestion and is troll worthy in the scope of this game. maybe melee classes should get leap slam as a non-gem skill? maybe rangers should have blink arrow as a default non-gem skill?

there's nothing special about summoners, just put it in a ring. If your getting all your minions completely stuck in areas you can't move more often than once every 8 seconds, feel free to get a helmet enchant to reduce the cooldown.

While it was certainly fun in D2, tele-stomping is ridiculously OP. convo needs a cooldown.

Except it's not really a "skill" it's a command mixed with a fix for poor AI. A lot of games will give pet classes the ability to command or teleport their pets to them for free.

I don't think a lot of people really understand the current mechanics of necros to suggest placing the skill in a ring. We already have skills in our rings. Unset rings are basically mandatory for the class.

As far as the power or utility of convocation, we have other ways to quickly pile our zombies and spectres onto a target. Summoning a skeleton or casting desecrate orders our pets to that location. The point of convocation is to teleport pets that are stuck in a position where they are unable to path to where we want them. Convocation is the easy way to get them into the battle, the less easy way is to walk about a screen away and cause a manual teleport. So that's the balance point, waste a skill slot or be forced to move a little extra in combat. I don't think making a global hotkey to teleport minions would be "OP" or out of line at all, but I don't care enough for it to bother me. I just have to somewhat agree with the OP that it's odd minion builds are expected to waste a precious skill slot on a "skill" that only serves as a workaround for less than ideal AI.

Like imagine before lockstep the sync command that people relied on to resync to the server and fix issues with impossible to damage enemies or rubberbanding, was a skill gem instead of a slash command.
Minion AI is fine, you just need to learn how to control them.

They used to be shockingly bad when zombies could run two screens away chasing a charging rhoa, and you probably wouldnt see that zombie again till the next zone (unless you chased after him, chasing the rhoa).

The only thing minion AI is actually bad at is avoiding large scale AoE attacks/traps. They got a special exception for most Labyrinth traps (except the bleed one) but outside of Lab they are pretty much toast in endgame areas if your not geared properly.
Last edited by Asmosis on Feb 22, 2017, 5:49:12 AM
"
Astasia wrote:

Except it's not really a "skill" it's a command mixed with a fix for poor AI. A lot of games will give pet classes the ability to command or teleport their pets to them for free.

I don't think a lot of people really understand the current mechanics of necros to suggest placing the skill in a ring. We already have skills in our rings. Unset rings are basically mandatory for the class.

As far as the power or utility of convocation, we have other ways to quickly pile our zombies and spectres onto a target. Summoning a skeleton or casting desecrate orders our pets to that location. The point of convocation is to teleport pets that are stuck in a position where they are unable to path to where we want them. Convocation is the easy way to get them into the battle, the less easy way is to walk about a screen away and cause a manual teleport. So that's the balance point, waste a skill slot or be forced to move a little extra in combat. I don't think making a global hotkey to teleport minions would be "OP" or out of line at all, but I don't care enough for it to bother me. I just have to somewhat agree with the OP that it's odd minion builds are expected to waste a precious skill slot on a "skill" that only serves as a workaround for less than ideal AI.

Like imagine before lockstep the sync command that people relied on to resync to the server and fix issues with impossible to damage enemies or rubberbanding, was a skill gem instead of a slash command.

Exactly my thoughts! Thanks for that.

"
Asmosis wrote:
Minion AI is fine, you just need to learn how to control them.

Have you ever used 5 spectres in a dungeon map?
They´re fine in open areas most of the time - except when there are different terrain levels or bridges.
But in dungeons they do walk off into different rooms and can´t find their ways out. Then you suddenly fight with 50% of your damage or less.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info