Help for Support play in Legacy League

Hi everyone :)

For the upcoming Legacy League I decided to try out support play.
First of all because I want to reach more endgame content than I can right now (36-40 challenges and Shaper) and second to play with others which I am not doing right now.

I´m playing POE now for a while and I played the Perandus, Prophecy, Essence and Breach leagues by now.

So here are some questions:

Does anyone have experiences about how to find a group as supporter?

Do you usually find a group/partner well or is it rather hard to find people?

Do you recommend leveling as caster or would you start straight up as support with a teammate?

I read that a support character takes alot of expensive gear. Is a budget supporter a viable option?

Do you now a good support build? I would want to play a more defensive probably guardian support and already read some guides about it but do you have any favorite build or something to especially care for?

Is there a good reason to better play something else than a defensive guardian support?

Thanks for help
and take care!

Last edited by Vinc_EU on Feb 20, 2017, 12:12:07 AM
Last bumped on Feb 23, 2017, 11:45:24 PM
There are different "support" builds.

1. Curse support

2. Aura Support

2.a. Aura Support -> focus on defence

2.b. Aura Support -> focus on offense

3. Magic Find (Quality/Quantity) support

A full party with one attacker and these 4 supports could be realy good by clearing. But the biggest problem, no matter which of the above support-builds you take, is to find the right people to play in a stable party.

Each player has a different aspect of playing and the speed of finishing a goal.

So its realy hard to play as a support build if you dont know your partymebers. If you play with friends it would be easyer.

I recommend to play a supporter only if you know someone like a good friend, otherwise you would get crazy partys by search one in the official party list..

If you realy want play a supporter, start as a guardian (its a 2.a. support). You can play without special items, but with that items (Guardian Shield, enlighten and so on) you can buff your aura better.

you can also try hybrid ones like aura + 1-4 curses. Different Players need different support. So maybe somethimes they only need curses to push damage, sometimes a aura boots would be better, that the one can activate more herald auras..

Have fun and sorry for my english.
Last edited by SiegfriedXX on Feb 20, 2017, 4:25:08 AM
Alright seems I should better stick to Essence Drain :P

Thanks for your help!
It's not hard to build a friend list as a support, just by advertising on global channel/party finder in town. Especially early in the league when a support can be a big content enabler for unfinished builds. But it's not a 100% guarantee, safer to start a support if you're playing with friends, or in a guild.
I played Necro and leveled as SRS, pretty straightforward leveling past Normal, respec points from quests are more than enough to transition into support at ~lvl70.

I guess I will start with a usual build and search for some people in the forum/chat.

Thanks for you help aswell!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info