Exp Loss in 3.0?

"
PledgeOfDeath wrote:
Imo exp loss on death is the most stupid mechanic I've ever seen, especially when you play caster/ranger and get one-shotted with your own damage offscreen due to reflect, or even due to desync or lag when it comes to partying with players using massive AoE builds (like Ice Nova for example).

And don't bring me the cheap excuse of '' ye but we hardcore players lose our char on death '', because when you play hardcore you know the risks. Not to mention you can still get back your character in standard, so it's not technically '' lost ''.

I just hope they remove it completely in 3.0, that would be a good change to the game. If not, exp loss on death should normalized according to your level and the amount of time required to get back to where you were instead of a flat 10%. Because you see, 10% loss/death when you're 85+ can mean a day+ of grinding to get back what you lost. Only for a single death.

I get the point this game is supposed to be challenging, but there's a major difference between challenge and punishment.

Cheers

If they do this, reaching levels 98-100 would mean nothing, so there will be no reason to do it, which will cause people to quit much sooner if playing at all.

coming from a player who never got level 97 and get very frustrated when dying :)
Literally all of my toons would be 100 by now if there was no exp death mechanic that's fucking stupid.

Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Might be a slight spoiler, here, so don't read further if you don't want any spoilers.

In the current beta the first penalty kicks in after Act 5 and the second one after killing the final boss of Act 7.
I think they'll be keeping it this way, so we have 5-3-3 acts.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
In hardcore you still die
I dont see any any key!
"
PledgeOfDeath wrote:
Imo exp loss on death is the most stupid mechanic I've ever seen, especially when you play caster/ranger and get one-shotted with your own damage offscreen due to reflect, or even due to desync or lag when it comes to partying with players using massive AoE builds (like Ice Nova for example).

And don't bring me the cheap excuse of '' ye but we hardcore players lose our char on death '', because when you play hardcore you know the risks. Not to mention you can still get back your character in standard, so it's not technically '' lost ''.

I just hope they remove it completely in 3.0, that would be a good change to the game. If not, exp loss on death should normalized according to your level and the amount of time required to get back to where you were instead of a flat 10%. Because you see, 10% loss/death when you're 85+ can mean a day+ of grinding to get back what you lost. Only for a single death.

I get the point this game is supposed to be challenging, but there's a major difference between challenge and punishment.

Cheers

If it takes you a day to grind back 10% of 85-92/93 (honestly even higher still) you may want to re consider either your build or your approach to mapping. 10% even that high is easy to gain back in a few maps on any "good" mapping build. Sustaining the maps "could" be difficult if shaping wasn't a thing but now we have that so honestly unless you die once every 5 maps or so you are still gaining most likely. At least until high 90s.
XBOX-----------------
Kitava Supporter
Dominator Supporter
1st Lvl 100: Incursion League
1st SSF UE, UA, and Shaper: Delve League
"
Mikrotherion wrote:
I think they'll be keeping it this way, so we have 5-3-3 acts.

where's act number 11? ;)
Spoiler
I expect a change of the 2nd penalty to the end of act 8 as the 'switch' to merciless conditions, mabye - but less expected - even after act 9.
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
Last edited by Mr_Cee on Jun 20, 2017, 8:43:51 AM
"
Arrowneous wrote:
A more elegant and better way would be % xp lost on death = act level so act 1 = 1% xp lost up to act 10 for 10% xp lost on death.

I love this idea.

Make it so.

Wolf
I'll take "Swords" for two hundred Alex.
-Faux Sean Connery
without the death penalty people would take very little life/es. If the only thing you lose is time, you would just want to get above a certain wasted time threshold and you would be done with defense. Bit of a shitty game i think

Who knew that another post asking about how the exp penalty on death works in beta would devolve into the NO LOSS/YES LOSS debate.

Oh, everyone, of course.
I hate the XP loss penalty. I know, that it's supposed to make you be more careful and think twice, instead of facerolling. To make the content feel more challenging. But does it really?
I can still faceroll the game, if only I stick to the safe maps with safe mods (which most players do, if they want progress). There's no challenge in that, just boring safety.

But once I level up and the death penalty is temporary gone - that's where the fun begins. I can do all those ridiculous high level maps with reflect, no leech and double bosses with 350% crit chance. That's the real challenge, not the boring safe and slow farming.
But then i get to 30%-40% level progress, I don't want to lose it, so I have to go back the boring safe grind again.
Last edited by osesek on Jun 20, 2017, 4:38:52 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info