Reddit vs Forum system.

So I am assuming most people here do not like the way reddit works and I recently realized that I do not either.

I think logically, the upvote system should work better and in some ways it does. But it seems a lot of subtlety gets lost and ends up replaced with whoever can make the most relevant cross references to recent memes. And any sort of negative or hostile tone, gets shit on.
A kid with a magnifying glass. . . looming down on the anthill. Eventually one is going to get you.
Last edited by Maceless on Feb 11, 2017, 12:06:48 PM
Last bumped on Feb 20, 2017, 6:40:42 AM
Upboated :^)

Spoiler
yes, reddit is a circlejerk paradise.

who would have guessed that such a system would foster pack mentality :^)
That and shadowbanning et al, is why I consider reddit overall to be aimed at a far lower IQ range than anything else.
Now that doesnt mean someone intelligent wouldnt post there, but someone intelligent would realize how ridiculously limited the system is, and how its created to set comfort zones for people to settle in. its anti-evolution of a person.
These forums arent perfect, but at least it has no le upboating system... yet.
Oblivious
"
Maceless wrote:
I think logically, the upvote system should work better and in some ways it does.
This assumes the majority of the subreddit in question is correct. In any instance where the majority of the subreddit is incorrect, the very design insulates users from alternative views. It is, in every practical sense, an echo chamber.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Sorting by popularity instead of sorting by wall-clock/chronological time has good and bad qualities.

For the good, the most common response to an opening topic is viewed immediately. For things like AMAs, this is great. You want the most pertinent questions most visible.

For the bad, yes, literally an echo chamber. If your idea isn't a popular one, it won't be seen.

---

But the upvote system isn't "reddit". You can opt to sort by "new" which disregards voting (unlike top, best, hot, controversial). Sure it has one and it has it by default, but that's not what makes reddit reddit.

The real secret sauce is the ability to create boards at will. If your unpopular ideas don't gain traction, make your own board with blackjack and hookers.

The biggest thing holding reddit back right now is subreddit searchability. Outside of getting lucky and juking the /r/all algo to land a random post in the top 100, small subreddits just simply aren't findable. Even if it would be perfect for you.
"
pneuma wrote:
Sorting by popularity instead of sorting by wall-clock/chronological time has good and bad qualities.

For the good, the most common response to an opening topic is viewed immediately. For things like AMAs, this is great. You want the most pertinent questions most visible.

For the bad, yes, literally an echo chamber. If your idea isn't a popular one, it won't be seen.

---

But the upvote system isn't "reddit". You can opt to sort by "new" which disregards voting (unlike top, best, hot, controversial). Sure it has one and it has it by default, but that's not what makes reddit reddit.

The real secret sauce is the ability to create boards at will. If your unpopular ideas don't gain traction, make your own board with blackjack and hookers.

The biggest thing holding reddit back right now is subreddit searchability. Outside of getting lucky and juking the /r/all algo to land a random post in the top 100, small subreddits just simply aren't findable. Even if it would be perfect for you.

I found the POE section no problem tho.
I mean, take "holding reddit back" with a grain of salt.
It is the 23rd most popular site on the entire web. :P

But it could be better!
"
pneuma wrote:

But it could be better!

Thats for sure. Then again, the internet itself could be a whole lot better, if only there was a way to remove the trolls...
"
sarahaustin wrote:

Thats for sure. Then again, the internet itself could be a whole lot better, if only there was a way to remove the trolls...

but then how would you use it?
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on Feb 12, 2017, 11:50:15 PM
"
sarahaustin wrote:
"
pneuma wrote:

But it could be better!

Censorship is way scarier than people that say mean things imo.

(Which is coincidentally another place where reddit fails to thrive.)
I also don't like Reddit, I can't explain why, I don't like it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info