Grocery's EB Freezing Pulse Ice Spear Totem Build! Maps Tested

"
Tweaq wrote:
Thanks for sharing this build, started mine as a shadow and are really enjoying it so far. Im going to create a templar based off this build but im wondering if its reasonable to swap out the cold skills for fire? Im new to the game so sorry if this seems obvious.

Ive always loved playing fire characters but the bit ive played as fire seems underwhelming. Could i do something like sacrifice fitness for pyromanic, and pickup immolation over body and soul to assist in its dps, or would that hurt the build too much later in the game?

You probably cold go for fire skills, but as fire I like to go a few minion nodes as fire has less control. Fire does not slow or freeze, so make sure you play accordingly. You can drop the second body and soul, I take it to have a lot of armor, more resistances, and more mana.
For my current builds, thoughts and videos.
youtube.com/andypistone
www.twitch.tv/GrocerySC
"
Mackon wrote:
Just wondered if you have tried this with a staff and if so whether it was good or bad compared to wand/shield or duel wands. I'm tempted to try it out myself but as I'm still pretty new to PoE and still trying to get to grasps with all the mechanics wasn't sure how to go about it.

Staff works, but I see no reason to go wand shield if you can get a good wand and shield. I am buying a rathpith soon, so I will be set for a while. Staff has to be a pretty darn good roll. My current weapons are

Disregard the gems, I move them around all the time.
youtube.com/andypistone
www.twitch.tv/GrocerySC
Last edited by Grocery on Mar 4, 2013, 12:39:57 PM
I am trying out a more glass cannon spec now that I got a shield that gives me a ton of mana and life

I don't take body and soul, and go for the crit nodes. This would be only a softcore build, just this spec. The other 2 specs are viable and maps tested hardcore. This glass cannon gives you a ton of life to take a hit, but not much else, so it is on the edge, but the damage is great. I added the link in the OP.
youtube.com/andypistone
www.twitch.tv/GrocerySC
Hey grocery got another question.

I know you said to focus on a lot of armor, which I did, all most all my armour pieces are full armor and none have armour+es. there for my mana pool is lacking, i just up graded my chest and now only have 1406 total mana.

I used to be able to run dicipline, purity, determination and clarity and would be fine.

but now with those 4 auras I'm at 161 mana since everything is reserved, so i cant even cast 10 straight FP before my MP is gone making 4 auras not viable anymore.

Need your suggestion on how to gain more mana, or may have to drop an aura.

un-buff im at:
4,696 Armour
75/75/75/-60 resist.

buffed im at:
7,561 Armour
78/78/78/-60 resist.
but i can't play at this buffed because i dont have the mana to use FP since everything is reserved, unless you know how i can get more mana w/o dropping auras.

Do you think i should drop determination or purity to run grace allowing me to have the mana to play @ 4,696 Armour?

Stuck right now on what to do, seems like ill either have to sacrafice armour or resists.
Hey thanks for taking the time to post a guide for everyone!

Just a few questions I had:

1) What are your thoughts on comparing a double cold totem build (i.e. double FP or double IS totem) to this build? do you think the self-spell + single totem is better end-game for damage and clear speed, or would the double totem overall be a better pick? I specced a few points into double totems (currently level 34) and it's been quite nice but I want a high level opinion before I go ahead with my build =)

2)
"
Staff has to be a pretty darn good roll.

Have you looked at the Taryn's Staff?

"
+1 to Level of Cold Gems in this item
+50% spell damage
+50% cold damage
+20% Cast speed
8% chance to freeze enemies on hit with cold damage
enemies frozen by your attacks take 20% more damage

I think it might be a wonderful choice as it adds a great amount of stats plus the +1Level and the fact that its a 2H so it can 5/6L.

Your thoughts on this item and its viability for this build? (ignoring price)

I originally made this templar for the new spell Incinerate but I'm starting to fall in love with cold, and I'm glad to see such a successful build with it!
"
medicineman89 wrote:

I know you said to focus on a lot of armor, which I did, all most all my armour pieces are full armor and none have armour+es. there for my mana pool is lacking, i just up graded my chest and now only have 1406 total mana.

I used to be able to run dicipline, purity, determination and clarity and would be fine.

but now with those 4 auras I'm at 161 mana since everything is reserved, so i cant even cast 10 straight FP before my MP is gone making 4 auras not viable anymore.

un-buff im at:
4,696 Armour
75/75/75/-60 resist.

buffed im at:
7,561 Armour
78/78/78/-60 resist.
but i can't play at this buffed because i dont have the mana to use FP since everything is reserved, unless you know how i can get more mana w/o dropping auras.

Do you think i should drop determination or purity to run grace allowing me to have the mana to play @ 4,696 Armour?

Stuck right now on what to do, seems like ill either have to sacrafice armour or resists.

Hi,

you said you focused on Full Armour gear. Thats the problem in my oppinion. You should take some chain gear. Armour is important so is ES. I am Currently running on my FP build + eb 7 Auras. Without lacking any mana and dealing per pulse 2800 dps.
"
medicineman89 wrote:

un-buff im at:
4,696 Armour
75/75/75/-60 resist.

buffed im at:
7,561 Armour
78/78/78/-60 resist.

I have a lot of mana on my gear. More mana and mana regen on your pieces and you will be fine. I can spam GMP 5linked freezing pulse with some good + mana on my gear, but you should probably stick to lmpo.

What level are your reduced mana gems? All auras should be using reduced mana.

This build relies on having ES gloves preferable, or boots. Try to take a piece of FULL ES gear. Hybrid gear is kinda meh. Go full plate minus 1 piece or else you have to go full playe and 2 hybrids.
youtube.com/andypistone
www.twitch.tv/GrocerySC
Last edited by Grocery on Mar 5, 2013, 4:10:39 AM
"
Shaard wrote:
Hey thanks for taking the time to post a guide for everyone!

Just a few questions I had:

1) What are your thoughts on comparing a double cold totem build (i.e. double FP or double IS totem) to this build? do you think the self-spell + single totem is better end-game for damage and clear speed, or would the double totem overall be a better pick? I specced a few points into double totems (currently level 34) and it's been quite nice but I want a high level opinion before I go ahead with my build =)

2)
"
Staff has to be a pretty darn good roll.

Have you looked at the Taryn's Staff?

"
+1 to Level of Cold Gems in this item
+50% spell damage
+50% cold damage
+20% Cast speed
8% chance to freeze enemies on hit with cold damage
enemies frozen by your attacks take 20% more damage

I think it might be a wonderful choice as it adds a great amount of stats plus the +1Level and the fact that its a 2H so it can 5/6L.

Your thoughts on this item and its viability for this build? (ignoring price)

I originally made this templar for the new spell Incinerate but I'm starting to fall in love with cold, and I'm glad to see such a successful build with it!

Of course the staff is good, but it is going to be expensive. You also have to 5 link or 6 link it, which will be very expensive to buy or craft unless you have Kripp RNG. The staff is probably BIS, barring the fact that you would have less mana regen than with a shield. I personally don't run party auras, I run them for myself. So I stick with 2 percent auras and 3 flat auras.

Double totem is a good build. I find it boring, you put your totem down and kind of sit there. You can do other shit like lay traps, but it is not my style. It is viable, but if you like it go for it!
youtube.com/andypistone
www.twitch.tv/GrocerySC
What is your Armour, resist and life ? Idk how you run 7 auras with 2 es pieces that's crazy. My reduced manas are both 17 if not 18
Ah watched ur gearing vid again. Seems like u got a lot of hybrid gear and I went all Armour that's the fail on my end. May have to switch a few pieces now. How much Armour is minimum in your opinion ?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info