How to level Witch?

I loved levelling my Slayer with full knowledge of when and what I should do to keep going well.

Give me some extended guidance on this one. Level non-crit elemental witch.

1. Which uniques (excpet tabula, wanderlust, lifesprig, and goldrim) I should use and when I should switch them to more relevant ones? I suppose in the middle of the Cruel I will wear mostly rare already, but I will need to upgrade my gear few times before that.

2. Which Uniques weapons should I use and at which level I can equip them? When I should switch from Lifesprig to something else and what it should be? Which weapon after that, etc etc?

3. Skills and supports. At which point of the Story I will get certain gems needed? I suppose I gonna use whatever is here until getting Firestorm and then Flameblast and level with it until maps.
Last bumped on Jan 24, 2017, 2:54:45 AM
1. and 2.
You basically already named all the relevant leveling uniques. Most of the time I just use whatever is at hand. Veck, I once leveled a witch with the cauteriser and sunder.

The most important points for gems are cavern of wrath for spell totem, general gravicious for flameblast, the library side quest for pretty much all relevant support gems for you except inc aoe and end of act 4 for inc aoe.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
FCK42 wrote:
1. and 2.
You basically already named all the relevant leveling uniques. Most of the time I just use whatever is at hand. Veck, I once leveled a witch with the cauteriser and sunder.

The most important points for gems are cavern of wrath for spell totem, general gravicious for flameblast, the library side quest for pretty much all relevant support gems for you except inc aoe and end of act 4 for inc aoe.

Levelling whatever is in hands is bad idea really. It's so great when your weapons are relevant and you one-shot everything on the way, like when you update your weapon in time with EQ.

I have some good wands, but they require lvl 40 or something, there must be some temporary uniques to use up to that level. And there is certainly should be sweet unique rings / amus that are actually helpful during early levels.
Last edited by SunL4D2 on Jan 23, 2017, 6:59:14 AM
"
SunL4D2 wrote:
Levelling whatever is in hands is bad idea really.

It probably would be if levelling was anywhere near as hard as it once was, it doesn't really matter currently.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Jan 23, 2017, 7:05:33 AM
Ashcaller might be a decent leveling unique for a fire based build, or, if you wanna use a sceptre, the dark seer.

As for amulets, I have no idea for early levels, sry :/ However, once you hit level 36, ngamahu tiki might be of interest.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
Ad 1. and 2.) Axiom or Abberath's Horn will carry your FS for a long time. You will eventually replace it by a scepter with high flat fire damage to spells. I like to use Lochtonial Caress gloves for Normal and Cruel due to nice boost in attack/cast speed with little negative effect (I replace those gloves with rare ones with lots of resists as first item in Merciless). Lastly, Praxis and Elreon's jewelry makes leveling a blast because you dont need to care about mana costs.

Ad 3.) Question is too vague, you dont need anything else but Firestorm for leveling. Flameblast works but if you get enough cast speed, Firestorm will easily carry you to early maps. Key is to get weapons with flat fire damage, which greatly benefits fast hitting spells.

Spell setup for leveling: Firestorm - Faster Casting (Spell Echo at lvl38) - Controlled Destruction (early until you get Elemental Overload) - Fire penetration. I switch Controlled Destruction for Elemental Focus once I have access to Elemental Overload and I dont want to bother with casting Orb of Storms + PCoC + CoH + Flammability. Increased AOE from tree is double-edged sword. I like to take some AOE early because it increases leveling speed but it reduces your single target damage output--this is not an issue while leveing but will eventually cause issues while mapping. Increase AOE + Spell Echo is perfect combination for leveling in my opinion. Some people prefer no AOE + Faster Casting for better mobility. You need to test for yourself, which setup you like more.
"
Baron01 wrote:
Key is to get weapons with flat fire damage, which greatly benefits fast hitting spells.

That's a fairly common misconception, but the only thing that really matters is the ratio between damage effectiveness and base damage of the spell. Flameblast actually scales added damage better than Firestorm, nothing you'd hang your hat on of course, as most spells scale added damage with a very similar total dps gain (except for spells added or modified post 2.4).

"
FCK42 wrote:
Ashcaller might be a decent leveling unique for a fire based build, or, if you wanna use a sceptre, the dark seer.

As for amulets, I have no idea for early levels, sry :/ However, once you hit level 36, ngamahu tiki might be of interest.

Ashcaller? I will check this out. Ngamahu Tiki is strong. Honestly I thought it requires lvl 60 or something :o

"
Baron01 wrote:
Ad 1. and 2.) Axiom or Abberath's Horn will carry your FS for a long time. You will eventually replace it by a scepter with high flat fire damage to spells. I like to use Lochtonial Caress gloves for Normal and Cruel due to nice boost in attack/cast speed with little negative effect (I replace those gloves with rare ones with lots of resists as first item in Merciless). Lastly, Praxis and Elreon's jewelry makes leveling a blast because you dont need to care about mana costs.

Ad 3.) Question is too vague, you dont need anything else but Firestorm for leveling. Flameblast works but if you get enough cast speed, Firestorm will easily carry you to early maps. Key is to get weapons with flat fire damage, which greatly benefits fast hitting spells.

Spell setup for leveling: Firestorm - Faster Casting (Spell Echo at lvl38) - Controlled Destruction (early until you get Elemental Overload) - Fire penetration. I switch Controlled Destruction for Elemental Focus once I have access to Elemental Overload and I dont want to bother with casting Orb of Storms + PCoC + CoH + Flammability. Increased AOE from tree is double-edged sword. I like to take some AOE early because it increases leveling speed but it reduces your single target damage output--this is not an issue while leveing but will eventually cause issues while mapping. Increase AOE + Spell Echo is perfect combination for leveling in my opinion. Some people prefer no AOE + Faster Casting for better mobility. You need to test for yourself, which setup you like more.

Thanks! But aren't Axiom is kind of Crit Build item that won't give me much?

I definetely consider some Elreon jewellry :P

Ok about added fire damage.
"
raics wrote:
"
SunL4D2 wrote:
Levelling whatever is in hands is bad idea really.

It probably would be if levelling was anywhere near as hard as it once was, it doesn't really matter currently.

It does matter a lot though. It is difference between standing in front of pack and wasting time to kill it with many hits and one-two shotting stuff.

What do you guys think about added fire dmaage to Firestorm / Flameblast in general? They both have low damage effectiveness (30% and 50% IIRC). What is your experience on the subject?

Last edited by SunL4D2 on Jan 23, 2017, 8:06:58 AM
"
raics wrote:
"
Baron01 wrote:
Key is to get weapons with flat fire damage, which greatly benefits fast hitting spells.

That's a fairly common misconception, but the only thing that really matters is the ratio between damage effectiveness and base damage of the spell. Flameblast actually scales added damage better than Firestorm, nothing you'd hang your hat on of course, as most spells scale added damage with a very similar total dps gain (except for spells added or modified post 2.4).

Simplification for sure but it works. Flat damage, especially early on, will give you huge boost. I never level with Flameblast because Firestorm is just better. Cast speed and flat fire damage are kings in this regard--for leveling purposes.
"
SunL4D2 wrote:
What do you guys think about added fire dmaage to Firestorm / Flameblast in general? They both have low damage effectiveness (30% and 50% IIRC). What is your experience on the subject?

The numbers say that scaling factor (some number that quantifies how well a spell scales added damage) for Flameblast is 166 and 148 for Firestorm, with the average across the spell roster being around 170. It isn't the kind of difference that would define either spell as unsuitable for scaling with added damage, like we could say for Fireball or Frostbolt which have only 108 and 106, respectively.

"
SunL4D2 wrote:
It does matter a lot though. It is difference between standing in front of pack and wasting time to kill it with many hits and one-two shotting stuff.

Sure enough, and it would be very important if you were racing but I wouldn't rack my head that much about reaching endgame half an hour sooner.

Last edited by raics on Jan 23, 2017, 8:39:54 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info