Please help me help my friend

So, I need to make a build viable for maps and most endgame stuff with some restrictions based on play style and stubbornness.

Here is what I have to work with:

1- He likes playing as big barbarian type characters so I gotta start in the Marauder area.

2- He wants to be a meat shield. Not as worried about damage.

3- Doesn't want to use a lot of skills as far as button pressing and such. More or less one attack skill and a buff or two.

4- He really likes life regen.

5- I have the funds for a pretty darn solid gear setup. I already have BoR, legacy Aegis aurora, and rainbowstride.

So, what I have come up with is a build based on the Lazy Pally, just starting as a marauder. I am looking to have him use one main attack with the trigger gems reckoning, riposte, and vengeance.

The main questions I have are:

1- If not going for damage, is Bringer of Rain really worth it? It seems to be highly recommended for builds like this, but it seems like a pretty big armour sacrifice for a 7-link that won't be the focus of this build. Is the block on BoR really important?

2- How good is spell block? I'm also wondering if it would be better to go rare shield and ammy instead of lazwar and aegis aurora, but as survival is the number one thing, blocking spells seems pretty handy.

3- Life regen. Should I try to convince my friend to drop this as a main aspect of his build?

I am sure I will have more questions as I flesh out the build and figure out some gear. Thanks in advance.

first build link on poeplanner.com:

http://poeplanner.com/AAQAAOEBAABuxth7jFhjPfyMz_ZIxFhfPxQg7w5_4zH7Gj58uCku8ax-4nk56dWezfKcbpf3vtIh8kGCB9l8FHEbqhDw8lqBOgMAwQfXfmMXfpqnMJ_LAecb-iXftiykGRRN_Eu8nxiRNugaVYjtqfrh72EhhO_awWLsTUbBgi_MhNlHfr02ZU2-p3TtBS1670CgwL-plQz3rK8blzJOj5kEhxm0LYMVIAkz0TbiLJtY5FFnm64-xq4MXzwtg8y3PkGH-ehodNpilKD-Cti98kU64aZXMZ5N4_6PNZIY11OlHKfYTQAAAAAA
Last bumped on Jan 21, 2017, 9:21:41 AM
I don't think BoR is worth it, the block chance is only 6%, much better to use high armor / endurance charges for phys mitigation than block.

The thing about spell block is that you'll still die to stuff like Volatiles, that can't be blocked (RIP my BoR prismatic eclipse 75/75 cycloner).

Life regen is immensely useful for stuff like uber lab, and generally feels good overall.

You should probably look into berserker with CWDT stuff instead of the trigger attacks to be honest.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1533986/page/1

Check out this build. I play it in 2nd league, and its amazing. Real joy of playing real melee hero. Mean not fake melee as blade flurry or blade vortex. Real tanky - unique feeling that nothing in game except uber Atziri and Shaper have any chance to kill you.

And this build have just 3 skills on shortcut - dual strike, leap slam and totem.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info