Need Chieftan FT gem advice

I am playing an Elemental Overload dual Flame Totem Chieftan (in my character profile: Ghan_Buri_Ghan), and need some advice. For my first 2 ascendencies, I got Tukahoma, and I would like to continue the survivability route by obtaining Hinekora for totem leech. That means taking Ngamahu, which benefits from ignite.

I have a 5L at the moment, and until recently, I had been playing with Faster Projectiles. When I acquired a 5L Infernal Mantle, I had the right colors for a different setup and just tried it, one using Elemental Focus instead, which really boosts the initial tooltip dps. Seems nice. But now of course I cannot ignite.

But I am too new to understand how far I can trust the tooltip to see how effective I am being. I think the tooltip does not show DoT and double-dipping bonuses for ignites, and I want to make sure I am not making a mistake. If I take EF for the damage boost, I will miss out on bonuses from Elemental Damage (which double dip I think) I have been accruing so far, and when I get Ngamahu on the way to Hinekora that will have no benefit for me whatsoever (because I cannot ignite). I cannot figure out how to test this well, since variables on maps are too ... variable.

I suppose I want to know: Which is more effective for me, particularly vs. bosses:

Option 1: Use EF for increased visible tooltip damage but no ignite / double-dipping
Option 2: Remove FE for Faster Projectiles or something else for less tooltip damage but ignite bonuses
Option 3: Something else (try to find a way to ignite with Searing Bond, with which I am also currently using EF)?

Thanks a lot in advance
Underrated stats: Basic human decency, small quantum of respect, microportion of compassion
Last bumped on Jan 24, 2017, 9:13:30 AM
heyya,

if you want to use the Ngamahu AND Elemental Focus - just add in your gems a Searing Bond (in a 4 link somewhere). The SB totem is free and does ignite, so your gameplay will change a bit. You will pop 2 Flame Totems and then a SB totem and run around to apply ignite to the creeps that chase you down. Other then that ignite is not very useful for us (well - once we get good dps, it's hard in the beginning).

Can you please tell me your resistances and crit. chance? What do you use the crit. strikes for - as there is no multiplier on them, so they do as much dmg. as regular hits - correct?
Last edited by xlnt2new on Jan 24, 2017, 6:37:44 AM
"
xlnt2new wrote:
heyya,

if you want to use the Ngamahu AND Elemental Focus - just add in your gems a Searing Bond (in a 4 link somewhere). The SB totem is free and does ignite, so your gameplay will change a bit. You will pop 2 Flame Totems and then a SB totem and run around to apply ignite to the creeps that chase you down. Other then that ignite is not very useful for us (well - once we get good dps, it's hard in the beginning).

Can you please tell me your resistances and crit. chance? What do you use the crit. strikes for - as there is no multiplier on them, so they do as much dmg. as regular hits - correct?

Thanks!
Yeah, I thought I would use an EF in Searing Bond too! (3L so far: SB + EF + Rapid Decay)
Crit chance is negligable; on FT it is 8, on OoS 24. Crit procs Elemental Overload.
Underrated stats: Basic human decency, small quantum of respect, microportion of compassion
"
xlnt2new wrote:
The SB totem is free and does ignite

Searing Bond cannot ignite (ignites require hits!), it causes Burning Damage to enemies caught in the beam, but yes, this will trigger the 35% increased Damage from Ngamahu. ;)

Another option is the Flame Golem linked with Faster Casting, GMP and Chance to Ignite.

However, I prefer the Lightning Golem for increased cast speed and do not care for the 35% increased damage. Ngamahu for me is just a stepping stone to get Hinekora.

And the Burning Damage from ignites can be ignored since only one ignite at a time can cause the damage (unless we use Emberwake)
Last edited by tomay on Jan 24, 2017, 9:16:42 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info