Returning player wondering whats wrong with my character :)

EDIT: Please read my latest reply instead of this first post :P.

Hello everyone,

I havent played PoE for a long time, and just started up again and decided to give my 80 Shadow a try. It had been so long, that my skill trea was unspecced, and I had not done any of the ascendancy stuff (I have now, and have 6 points in Assassin) nor did I have any jewels, nor had I done any of the Act 4 stuff.

And I was struggling a lot with some of the bosses in Act 4, even though I was over leveld for them.

My Shadow is level 80.
This is his gear:

My Curent Jewels are:
And this is my spec: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYBAAW1CVgMcw2ND6sQkhHVFHUV_RjbG60hYCHAIuojNiPTI_YkiyT9KaUqOC5TMHwyATIyNe867UMxRJ5F9Ed-Sn1LHE2STipRR1MQU7tW-leXW69ei2BBYetirGNwZK9lTWegapVsCGyMbydvV3Txd9d4GXpTfyuBQYO9hNmHdoo4jX2NgY2_j8GQCpKAk5CVZppqmyadqqOKsNixs7IZsw60xbxvvTa-p78Av9XBi8GgwuzDOs3qz3rTb9P81gfZhtrB26fb593n45_nVOjW6xTxig==?accountName=Ranindoras&characterName=Dinedar

I was wondering if anyone have any advice as for why my char is doing so craptastically. I am assuming it is due to one (or a combination) of these reasons;

Bad gem choices.
Crappy Gear.
Crappy Passive skill selectons.

As for skills, I use the Dual Strike on my chest armor as my main attack, with Grace and Purity of Elements as my auras, and then I manually cast either Warlords Mark or Assassins Mark as curses before the fight, and use Whiling Blades for movement and dodges. The rest of the gems in my set up are just to level them up.

Thanks a ton for any advice, and sorry for the wall of text :).

EDIT:
Stats wise, in Merciless with my Auras I have;
3362 DPS
15.44% Crit Chance
247% Crit Multipier
81% Chance to Hit
11987 Armour (54% Reduction)
75% On all elemental resists
-12% On Chaos Resists
3546 Life
32% Block Chance
+50% Crit chance modifier per Power Charge
Characters:
Main Standard Char: Dinedar - Iron Reflexes Dual wielding Claw Shadow.
Main SSL Legacy Char: Nendria - Archer.
Last edited by Ranindoras on Jan 19, 2017, 6:32:36 PM
Last bumped on Jan 22, 2017, 10:05:05 PM
change ur attack for reave - critical strikes - multistrike - add fire damage - mele psych damage - incr area / area damage

its hard make something for u becose claw's are poor and ur skill tree is... not good

btw if u want make crit build u have to change ur claws for one's with better crit chance - something like 7%+ becose 15% is nothing with 300% cmulti

my builds:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2113935
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2113984/page/1#p15407041
Last edited by Varilecki on Jan 18, 2017, 5:23:34 PM
OK, thanks a ton, I will try to look into that :).

And yeah, I had a feeling my skill trea was bad... I like making my own Skill treas, but making my own trea as a returning newbie is proboably not the best idea :P.
Characters:
I did make a change myself that made a difference, but I poroboably need to make the changes you mentioned as well.

My change was to add;
Curae on hit -> Warlords Mark -> Blind Support
And
Cast When Damage Taken -> Arctic Armor -> Enduring Cry

It made a noticable difference, even with the skills being low level, it seems to have made a big difference, as far as survivability goes.

I also kinda don't want to switch Dual Strike for Reave, just because I really really like Dual Strike. But if I keep performing poorly... I might have to.

I do have 16 refund points hanging around... if that could improve my build... (And I also have not done the normal or Cruel A4 quests, so thsat should add another couple of skill points)
Characters:
Last edited by Ranindoras on Jan 18, 2017, 6:09:42 PM
my advice for u i just throw that shadow ( he is not bad if thys is ur first character ) and find funny build for u and start from 0 - thys is bigest fun in poe and allowed u to understand evryhting agan and also test something new

if u like mele build i advice for u earthquake jugernaut or raider becose of his scary frenzy charge buff
if u want highest as in game raider is best for u.
just take life and crit nodes ( if u want crit ) and frenzy charge make u deadly as hell.

sorry for my eng, i want improve him ;)

thys is GREAT poe build browser -try to find something for u with that
http://www.timtips.com/buildbrowser/#/list

i hope thys is help u
my builds:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2113935
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2113984/page/1#p15407041
Sorry for the self bump :).

My last few messages where made while, well, I'm going to be honest, very very drunk :P. Obviously the links I mentioned made no difference what so ever :P.

I also have to add that my saying of having 3362 dps, was my char sheet dps. The actual dps of my dual strike when I hover over it is 16 721. Proboably not that great, but ok in my opinion.

I have however, while sober, made a few changes to my used skills.

My main attack is unchanged, I looked at Reave as Varilecki sugested, but even after leveling it up, it seems to do less damage than my Dual Strike Does. And my dual strike seems to do ok, damage wise, with the setup I have. Especially vs big packs of whites.

As for other changes, I have changed up the skills I use a bit (My gear still uses the same items, apart from some new Jewels and gems).

My setup being;
Main Attack: Dual Strike -> Culling Strikes, Increased Crits, Melee Physical, Faster Attacks, Melee Splash

Auras: Purity of Elements + Grace (As my gear does not cover all 75% resists in Merciless, so by upgrading gear PoE might become obsolete and I could perhaps change it to Haste).

Cast When Damage Taken: Molten Shell + Blade Vortex (The Vortex doesnt do ny hughe amount of damage, but it is noticable, and I am unsure of what else to put there)

For Movemenent: Whirling blades + Faster Attacks, Reduced Mana, Blind (Blind doesnt really do anything, but I had an extra linked green slot and couldnt figure out a better choice)

Frenxy linked with Curse on Hit and Assassins mark, for high hp mobs to smack them a few times to up my Crit and Attack speed.

And apart from that I also use Enduring cry and Ice Golem, both unlinked, since they prove nice buffs.

My skill trea is pretty much the same as before;

Anyhow, I have some questions (Sorry about the rant).

A) Would siwtching my claws to ones with higher critrate really make that much of a difference? Mine has 6,3 and I couldnt find any claws on poe.trade above 7.0 that, with comparable dps, that where in my price range (And prett much none above 8.0 at all).

B) Besides from my claws, does anyone else have any sugestions as to what items I really need to switch out? I am not rich, but if I could switch out a couple of pieces and get more Fire and Lightning resists I could proboably switch from Purity of Elemenents and into another aura.

C) Besides redoing my entire skill trea, I have 18 refund points and 14 Orbs of regret I could use. Does anyone have any sugestions as to how I could use that amount of refund points to make my build any better?

Anyhow, sorry for the selfbunp and wall of text. I am very thankfull for any advice!
Characters:
Last edited by Ranindoras on Jan 19, 2017, 6:30:59 PM
I don't know if you're aware but Reduced Mana doesn't work any more with auras:
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Reduced_Mana_Support

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info