[0.10.1]EB/HP/Armor Freezing Pulse Templar---Viable?

Good evening, gentlemen
I was kinda bored yesterday, so I created a templar build that, in theory, should be tanky, with a high mana pool to sustain 5 or more auras, high crit rate (to apply shock stacks and freeze mofos) and decent damage also.

Here is my end build ideea:http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBBVuLjOFz7SBG113G3fO2hn1TnYBgbYM4FE0EszmKEGkwl4KbKU_sOBo4p4SQVeQijmT3prb6GmwZhSSqNunjap2upwi4kwx9EH_Gns36fIOPRoFJsjhmT9DQz2VVxpuhZ73ubxZvYqyhbdadES2D9x8CnqGvmwQHTLMtH20ZjjwXVCKBwfPxdoIeiELyHaKjf8YnqVptJDynXElREZado_yrDkjjhMBRcNVwUgJx8B-iADrYTdiMdtsLXfJCw9-E

I'll use Freezing Pulse+LMP/GMP+Added Lightning Dmg+Faster Projectiles/Blood Magic+Life Leech
As for auras, I'll be running: Determination, Clarity, Discipline, Haste/Clarity, Vitality all linked to Reduced Mana.
For curses I'll be using Frostbite ofc. and a Skeleton Totem when needed.
As for gear: a good spell dmg+crit dagger

pure AR Chest (Astral Plate ofc, even tho, it will be pretty damn hard to roll BBGGR), pure Ar or Ar/Es boots, gloves and helm.

Also...I'm not really sure if I should go for AR/ES Shield as a more defensive option or for pure Es SpellDmg shield.

TLDR; This build is supposed to have a large HP and mana pool (to run 5 or more auras) and decent damage due to Freezing Pulse+Added Lightning dmg, wich in theory, should deal 85% more dmg after a crit. (thx Teme for explaining me how shock works with multiple projectiles)

I'd like to hear some thoughts about this build from more experienced casters, especially about high end maps.

Cheers
IGN: Vaalgard / GuardianOfAsgard / Veidhimadhr
Timezone: GMT+2
Last edited by deathcoreftw on Feb 24, 2013, 2:32:28 PM
Over 100 views and still no opinions?
Come on, gentlemen, let us discuss this build.
Tweaked your build a bit.

Using the same amount of points you gain 4% more health. lose 12% cold damage but you gain 30% crit chance and 70% crit multiplier. Also leaving you 2x8% hp nodes to grab on next levels.

With enough multiplier and crit chance crit weakness becomes better than frostbite
( this point is probably unreachable without high end gear ). Stacking just crit or just crit multiplier is not the way to go, they work together and you need a balance between them to get the optimal amount of dps.

"
decent damage due to Freezing Pulse+Added Lightning dmg, wich in theory, should deal 120% more dmg after a crit.

How shock works
For example. X is the dmg of a freezing pulse hit, you fire 7 projectiles.
Crits with shocks look like this: X + 1,4X + 1,8X + 2,2X + 2,2X + 2,2x + 2,2x
=13X
Dividing it by the amount of projectiles tells us how much added lightning dmg increases your crit dmg.
So 13/7 = 1,85
So with 7 projectiles critting shock increases the critical cast of freezing pulse dmg by 85% not 120%.
Last edited by Teme on Feb 23, 2013, 1:51:36 PM
Thank you for explaining me how lightning actually works with multiple projectiles and also for your little twitch in the build...and I actually like your ideea, since more crit rate and multiplier is far superior to 12% raw damage.

Would also like more thoughts about the viability in high level maps.
I'm doing the same things, but i'm a power charge freezing pulse AR/ES templar.
I'm using that unique armor and shit.
I'm very strong atm critting like a bitch and with high survivability.
I'm at merciless lvl 59, using spell totem + ice spear + lmp agaisnt ranged mobs and elemental weakness (worth aalot more them frostbite curse).

The things is with the elemental weakness is that will amplify the dmg of cold and lightning (and fire if you use molten shell like me).

Build

I'm currenlty thiking about taking off the 3 first points on cold damage to get the 3 on witch build, wich will save me alot of points and add more damage.

And a question, why will you use clarity if you are going to use freezing pulse in the HP with blood magic?
ingame name : ZMorphS
I'd argue that getting the 2 major nodes with increased area of effect would be fun with Freezing pulse.
@Gula123 I use clarity only untill level 50 or so ( or untill you get a 5L)
@Chiliconkarma I don't really think it would be a great increase in aoe and besides that, with GMP you are covering a huge area anyway.
Last edited by deathcoreftw on Feb 24, 2013, 2:32:54 PM
Have you been able to get more info on how this build fares at higher levels? How gear dependent is it? I'm looking for a good freeze pulse build that isn't as gear dependent as Kripps, but not has squishy as the Shadow cold pulse/ice spear build.
Well, theoreticaly, it should be as gear dependent as most of the chars ofc (you will need hp/ress/ high armor rolls on gear and spelldmg/spellcrit/hp on your dagger/wand and offhand). So, unlike FP shadow you should have way more hp and def, as well as decent damage due to lightning stacks+crit.
Have you tried out the build yet?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info