Are we ever gonna get spears?

"
Sure_K4y wrote:

@Fruz I know we already have Polearms, and then there's also some MTXs, but when you consider that a Polearm is basically an Axe on a stick, for lack of a better description, and then think about how a Spear is used in combat, you'll quickly realize that those are two vastly different things. So, in order for those to look decent when used, there'd have to be a whole new set of animations. On top of that, I'd even go as far as arguing that causing an EQ like fissure on the ground, by slamming it with the tip of a spear, doesn't sound like something that makes (enough) sense.

Yeah, I agree that spears should have a dedicated weapon type and animations, I was just suggesting somewhat of a band aid to have one or two weapons that would look like spear, I know that it's not ideal :S.

And it's true that polarms are just being used like huge axes, characters don't thrust with those or anything ....
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
we have staves, why can't we have spears? i mean, i understand the need to re-do animations, but cmon, it's 2017 and we still have no spears in a game about being stranded after almost drowning.
"
Drest wrote:
we have staves, why can't we have spears? i mean, i understand the need to re-do animations, but cmon, it's 2017 and we still have no spears in a game about being stranded after almost drowning.

I guess all resources went for the Xbox port.
"
zzang wrote:
"
Drest wrote:

I guess all resources went for the Xbox port.

*facepalm*
spears are staves. If you look at the artwork on some of those staves, they are clearly spears.
For actual "Spears" for now we have Vile,Foul,Judgement Staves,Hegemony's Era. For Microtransactions we currently have the Dragon Spear and Siren Weapon Skins.
Just another Forum Signature in a Sea of Signatures.
Maybe we'll get to beta test spears for possible implementation into console port?
Quite aside from a few staves looking suspiciously like them, and Greust definitely having one, there's this tidbit from the beta...

Spoiler
The Forest Encampment boss has four possible variants, depending on how you opted to deal with the bandit lords. If you'd made a clean sweep of it, this boss is a possessed(?) Greust...

...who actually uses his spear in combat; that can be seen from around 2:00 in this video.

So, we ask again, 'why not?'

With that said, how would spears be handled, mechanically? They'd be a one-handed thrusting weapon with a 'spear throw' granted-by-item skill; I am not certain, though, what would be a sensible type-implicit for them. And since the thrown spear is, technically, a projectile, one wonders - would it be modified by relevant support gems socketed in the spear?
White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
"Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."
A spear or javelin would be a great addition to the game in the variety of play style, in game mechanics and work hours, it is not impossible but would require modification to the skill tree, new skill gems, new animations, etc.

I would like to have it too, but it is unlikely that we'll have it anytime soon

"Are we ever gonna get spears?"

Right about the time we get xbows?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info