Dual Totem, Summoner Templar (Needs Critique)

:::EDIT:::

Ok, so The first 2 builds are a Flame totem / Minion build I wanted to try

But after hearing that Fire damage in general is kind of lackluster at this point in the game, I've decided to spec into Lightning damage, and run Dual spell Totems with Spark + Fork and 2nd totem with Arc + Chain

The Fire / Minion Build (77 points)

Fire without Minions
(Probably wouldn't get Minions till after Totems anyways)

Lightning without minions (67 points)

Lightning build with Minion nodes (77 points)

So, Critique on the Lightning build is also appreciated =)

I would like to pick up more passive elemental resist somewhere in the passive tree, and Ideally would head towards the Totem nodes in the center of the tree, but that build would put me around 90 points (Ideally I would like this build to work well with ~50 points)

Thanks
Last edited by xNovember on Feb 22, 2013, 9:34:35 PM
Any advice?

I would like some tips, preferably before going too deep into the build...

Thanks

Not hardcore btw
It's decent.

I have to ask though, why fire? Fire honestly kinda sucks right now. Why not go for the classic sport totem build?

Additionally, drop the silly resist nodes near Inner Force and swap them for...you guessed it, Inner Force.

I had the same idea as you. the idea seems good on paper but theres one hitch...... fire is way sub par.

Glick is right it would be better to go lightning or ice. you provide more way better support to a group and to minions.

I find that the problem lies with the burn effect, it just can't do the dmg that shock stacks add and can't CC like frost.

currently i have a level 41 templar using this build and am finding it disappointing. it does ok compared to other specs i have tried, but is overall underwhelming.

has anyone found a fire spec that works well in merc and maps? link if you find one.
"
gekoaj wrote:
I had the same idea as you. the idea seems good on paper but theres one hitch...... fire is way sub par.

Glick is right it would be better to go lightning or ice. you provide more way better support to a group and to minions.

I find that the problem lies with the burn effect, it just can't do the dmg that shock stacks add and can't CC like frost.

currently i have a level 41 templar using this build and am finding it disappointing. it does ok compared to other specs i have tried, but is overall underwhelming.

has anyone found a fire spec that works well in merc and maps? link if you find one.

Thanks for the Input =)

I've changed the build around to spec to Lightning (Because I already run an Ice Caster)

Initially I went with flame totems because they are easier to come across than the spell totems, and would require much fewer support gems to get a decent effect (or so I thought)

"
Glick wrote:
It's decent.

I have to ask though, why fire? Fire honestly kinda sucks right now. Why not go for the classic sport totem build?

Additionally, drop the silly resist nodes near Inner Force and swap them for...you guessed it, Inner Force.

out of curiosity, why would you drop the ele resist nodes for increased buff effect?

Thanks for the Input =)
I am currently using a dual totem summoner build at level 78. You can focus primarily on minion nodes and your own elemental resists with great success.

I am using the skeleton totem to allow me to juke around more and find good strategic locations to stand as well as free me up to run away to rubber band my all-important specters out of harm's way before they die.

I am using firestorm totem to item farm. I have it linked with culling strike, spell totem, increased rarity and increased quantity. Its also 17% quality to speed up fireballs and increase likelihood of the culling strike killing blows.

Now if you're thinking there's no way to sustain high enough dps with this combo just hold your horses.

The bread and butter of this build is comboing either flammability or elemental weakness (depending if I'm grouped) with flame sentinel banners from the solaris temple.

These specters shoot 3 augmented and faster moving fireballs by default. If you link them with faster casting, lesser multi projectiles and chain and they will absolutely obliterate enemies while your flame storm totem last-hit item farms.

The downside to this is that if you join a group with those minions on, you are going to crash everyone's computer and get them all killed. You can swap chain with pierce for grouping but you will lose a lot of damage.

I'll post my talent tree when I get off work.
Last edited by Porkalatesta on Mar 26, 2013, 2:18:27 PM
Can you post your build soon?
Flame (or Incinerate) totems are lackluster because of their limited range.

Spork builds are pretty underwhelming if you don't get high crit through passives and gear.

Straight up lightning damage is kinda meh for the points it takes.

Elemental resists are okay as a crutch but you don't really want to spend points into them, since you can cap resists through gear, eventually.

Minion stability is usually a bad idea. It's fine for spamming skeleton on bosses, but you want your zombies (and spectres, if you're using them) to live as long as possible. You're just cutting down 30% of their health like this.

Combining minions and dual totem is not a good idea. The points are too spread out and you end up with a shitty hybrid that's not really good as either build. You won't have the damage to make totems work and you won't have the aurastacking of a pure summoner.

My advice is to run either full out summoner (kinda cool, but it's really annoying when your spectres die) or pure dual totem (boring as shit) with just the default zombies as meatshield.
I know this post is a bit older, but what the new "increased burning dmg" support gem affect fire's viability?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info