What do you do fora living [WARNING: Numbers included]

"
鬼殺し wrote:
It does help, thank you. My image of you typing all this from an antiquated laptop atop a rusty tractor with a stalk of wheat in your mouth is restored. Bless you.

Ah, that is kind of nostalgic. I have seen that before in an age before computers. Was a book, instead of a laptop, though.

"
kolyaboo wrote:
MrSmiley, I have a mysterious leak in my dishwasher. On again off again. Mostly off. Do you think it its unbalanced? I checked the seals, they seem intact. Actually hasn't leaked in a couple months but why would it fix itself? (sorry for making you talk about work stuff. Feel free to pester me with insurance questions in retribution)....

Not a professional plumber/maintenance guy, but check the pipe connections. A lot of dishwashers are beside the sink and that's most often where they're tied into the plumbing. But, they have to be tied in appropriately. When they aren't, they can leak, backflow, can't drain properly. You can check online for whatever sort of sink/dishwasher connection combo you have to see the proper way to connect them. (Trap, disposal, etc)

Check the drain in the dishwasher to be sure it's clean. It's an actuated valve, too, so it may get stuck from time to time. The line is made to be a dump line, not a constant pressure line, so if it gets stuck open and is slow to drain or can't get air (not connected right), there may be some leaks.

Check the drain from the dishwasher. It should start with a friction coupling/worm-gear thingie, I think. Make sure that's tight, but not so tight as it cuts the hose. The hose can deteriorate, too, due to material incompatibilities, most notably chlorine, like if someone tried to "disinfect" their dishwasher with it, and other harsh chemicals. People dump all kinds of stuff in there that can degrade many components.

Replacing parts, if needed, shouldn't set you back more than a few monies, no matter where you're at. (Most easily replaceable parts would be less than $20 USD.)
Process engineer in automotive (Huyndai cars) - 18.154$/year (taxes included)

FYI In Germany and with my knowledge I could do 4x more but I like my country and don't like the way german language sounds. Money ain't happiness.

Minimum wage in our country is set to: 5086,95$/year (texes included).

Plant is located in Czech Republic, Europe.
Last edited by pajingtonn on May 26, 2018, 3:48:10 AM
Used to operate heavy equipment for about 6 years. I don't anymore so much just supervise it and other things in pool/pond and landscaping company we own. Operations manager is my title as I'm basically responsible for all buying materials, dealing with subs and outside employees and seeing the work through the office gives me. We have 48 employees of which 30 I'm responsible for. And I deal with municipalities - inspectors/permits and such - which is by far the worst part of the job. They dont show up on time. Major red tape. Dipshits. etc. Maybe you can understand my distaste of govt. Sometimes I long for sitting in a bucket seat all day like old days due to that fact.

I own part of the business so it's really hard to say compensation since I must invest too all the time. Sometimes I'll borrow against it called a sharholder withdraw sometimes I just get straight checks in dividend and payroll.. Depends what accountant says. I keep payroll way low because of tax exposure.

My goal is to cash out about 25 and open a series of restaurants. I have not decided buying into franchises or do my own as I have have some ideas.

Maybe I'll just take a year off and learn stock market/commodities. Bottom line I don't want to be doing construction forever i've been doing it since 13 even in middle school during summers.

I wish I were smart like Elon Musk or something and had a revolutionary idea but I don't so I keep working what I know.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 26, 2018, 7:02:14 AM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
...My goal is to cash out about 25 and open a series of restaurants. I have not decided buying into franchises or do my own as I have have some ideas.

The most frequently chosen entrepreneurial businesses? Restaurant. The business with the worst record for success and those most frequently hosting "Out of Business" signs on the front door? Restaurant.

The most expensive asset is also the most powerful asset - Location. It's all about location. After that, startup costs - It's all about the ambience. And then? Workers. It's all about the back-end and the front-end staff. And then, maybe, it's about the food too.

By all means, follow your dreams. But, if you are successful and don't loose everything in your endeavor, you will be the exception. And, you will only be successful through more hard work than you've ever seen before... and more money thrown at something than you've ever thrown, before.

Nobody is going to give you any credit lines. Why? Restaurants die, coughing up blood, not money. And, if you need money to pay for just that one order and cough up cash from your own pocket? Congrats - You've just now exposed your own personal finances to your creditors when your restaurant goes belly up and you won't be protected by incorporation anymore.

You will not make a dime of profit for three years after opening night. (That's almost guaranteed.) There will never, ever, be a day where you won't be cutting a check for "something." Zero.

Half your employees are usually going to be on drugs at some time. (If not, then you will probably be. :) )Unless you're a breakfast/lunch only operation, that is. And, then, half of them will be hungover or late for work. There is a "restaurant culture" in most places in the US. (Not sure about other countries.) They all know each other, all end up at the same bars at 3 am, and most couldn't get better paying jobs someplace else. Turnover rate is ridiculous for most restaurants in terms of wait staff and line workers. Not always, but for most run-of-the-mill places it is. (Note: Being a waiter or waitress can actually be a good living, if one is an outstanding waiter/waitress with an impeccable reputation. Everyone knows everybody.)

And, someone is always going to have their hand in the til.. Always. Count on it, in a business with such a high number of cash transactions. I've never heard of a restaurant that had never had this problem. Never. I don't think such an animal exists in a standard restaurant. Maybe a few smaller ones are free of that, but they'd be the exception. Most of those never make enough money worth stealing.

I used to own a business in an industry that supplied restaurants. They are "Get Poor Quick" schemes unless you have a boatload of cash to throw at it during startup, including leasing the most premium location spot you can.

Most restaurants fail because they skimp on the "expensive" stuff like leasing a decent location, getting good back-end equipment, or hiring decent staff. A few others fail because management ends up on drugs because they can't take the stress. Others because they can't afford to infuse the restaurant with more cash every year to upgrade, even to replace silverware, glasses, afford maintenance contracts, get the place cleaned, fail health inspections repeatedly, can't afford the quality of food they used to have, cut back costs on little things, like salt-shakers...

And, the ones that really fail like clockwork? Loss-leader write-offs started by people laundering money, destined to fail from the start, because a restaurant going out of business is so common and everyone knows their books are going to be eligible, anyway. Though, that's most often nightclubs and bars than a full restaurant, because those don't require complicated equipment leasing contracts and such where angry equipment dealers will almost hire their own hit-men to track down a former restaurant owner that owes them money. :) (Those guys are scary!)

"
Maybe I'll just take a year off and learn stock market/commodities. Bottom line I don't want to be doing construction forever i've been doing it since 13 even in middle school during summers.

If you can afford it, get a trade license in something. You seem to be young enough and if you have enough saved to sit back and "learn" stock stuffs, you have the cash for furthering your education. Or, even better, use the contacts you have made to move up into a different level to get some advanced managerial experience. Heck, go get a civil engineering degree or even something entirely different.

"
I wish I were smart like Elon Musk or something and had a revolutionary idea but I don't so I keep working what I know.

Smart?

Smart doesn't even enter into it. "Work." "Hard Work." That's how people make their fortunes, even "smart" people. Musk worked his butt off to get where he is and also got "lucky" too. But, work trumps luck, every time. Gates worked his butt off, was smart, but, more importantly, was business savvy and leveraged his company. That hard work, leverage in contracts, and intellectual property rights made Microsoft, not "smarts." Richard Branson worked his butt off, too, and did all kinds of crap before all that work enabled him to take advantage of being in the right time and the right place for Virgin Records to take off.

Work. Hard work towards a truly definable goal. Do that and you can be wildly successful, even if you're dumb as a bag of hammers. :) Of course, the more dumberer you are, the more that luck will have to play a role.

But, hard working people end up producing opportunities for luck all over the place. They make their own luck.

Luck is a byproduct of the manufacturing process of "hard work." :)

PS - I know, I'm an old fart butting in where I'm not needed or wanted. BUT... I couldn't stand idly by while someone talked about a "dream" that is inherently dangerous and often more a mirage than reality. Sure, you could be successful in opening up a chain of restaurants. But, its ever more likely you'd lose your shirt. It's a cutthroat business and unforgiving, relentless in the variety of failure-points that will be thrown at you.

If you do open up your restaurant, of course I'd be encouraging - You're already in it, risking it. And, if you still want to do that? OK, fine, you've read the above and your will and your dream is strong enough to stand up against it. Fair enough, maybe you're willing to dedicate "what it takes." So, always go for your dreams, just make sure you've envisaged them realistically. (And, if you haven't, work hard!)
I know a lot of guys who own subways/mcdonalds etc they never had one red year. Subway guy nets about 120K off each and owns 30. The Mcdonalds guy nets about 500K off each. I like the idea of turn key throw a manager in there and go home. All I'm doing now is racking up resume so the these big companies will sell me one. I don't need to work anymore really after I sell my share of const company to my uncle (my equipment share alone is 400K then we'll do 3x net profit sale off my shares). Then It's all about sound investments until i get some inspiration like elon is all i meant.

Oh about employees. Theft? I work construction man. I've had employees threaten to kill me and everything lessor. Seen it all. Aint no thang i cant deal with.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 26, 2018, 9:23:24 PM
Yeah that's why I like these franchises. They already did all the work and have branding. I have a great idea for a Thai restaurant in similar vain to Panda Express but Thai. I have floor plans, recepies and even talked a lady who owns Thai restaurant into partnering. But I know it's probably 90% fail based on industry stats. Whereas you buy a panda it's 99% success.

Good thing is i'm not a real sentimentalist/romantic. I dont do what I like. I do what makes money. If I did what I liked I'd run a fishing guide service off Dana Point and fish all day and go broke, 95% chance.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 26, 2018, 10:10:10 PM
I currently work as a Registered Nurse in an ICU unit that deals with sepsis, respiratory and acute GI bleeds (or all of the above), but not trauma. I mostly work at nights for 3 years now because I really hate dealing with traffic and it has added pay. The wage is close to Los Angeles Average of $ 90,300/yr (pay increases with experience afaik), but it varies with the season and how many extra shifts I pick up or placed on call. For a good period of time, I was working 6 day work days with two jobs, and kinda got burnt out in the end (not worth it imo).

At the moment I'm doing okay with my 3 x 12 hr work week. But in the future I'm planning to move up in my career that deals in trauma and with continuing education.
Last edited by Molochmane on May 27, 2018, 1:43:12 AM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
I know a lot of guys who own subways/mcdonalds etc they never had one red year. Subway guy nets about 120K off each and owns 30. The Mcdonalds guy nets about 500K off each. I like the idea of turn key throw a manager in there and go home. All I'm doing now is racking up resume so the these big companies will sell me one. I don't need to work anymore really after I sell my share of const company to my uncle (my equipment share alone is 400K then we'll do 3x net profit sale off my shares). Then It's all about sound investments until i get some inspiration like elon is all i meant.

Location is everything. As well as parity between your competition. I live in a small town, and they recently opened up a Steak N Shake here, and it's been cuckolding all the other fast food places in the vicinity. The place is packed, constantly. I've never seen a Steak N Shake that wasn't booming during all operating hours.

You can buy up land cheaper in small towns than in urban areas. If you find a small town that's along a major interstate, those are good places to drop down a fast food place. Wages, rent, lease, property will all be cheaper. Find a location where people will actually work for minimum wage. California or Southern Florida, that's probably not going to happen. Unless you don't mind getting in trouble with ICE. But somewhere like Kentucky, or West Virginia, yeah. You don't have to pay burger flippers $10-$12 in West Virginia, they'll work for $7.50-$8.00. You could probably open up 2 locations in West Virginia, for the cost of 1 in South Florida.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on May 27, 2018, 9:53:20 AM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

Oh about employees. Theft? I work construction man. I've had employees threaten to kill me and everything lessor. Seen it all. Aint no thang i cant deal with.

I apologize if that post came off a bit too strongly. I've simply seen too many good people with strong convictions and good work ethics end up bankrupt because they decided to open up a restaurant...

Chain restaurants are a bit different, of course. However, one thing worth noting - A franchise operator is somewhat at the mercy of their franchise supplier. Independent franchise operators are also dependent upon their franchise depots. For instance, they will be buying products from the franchise depots and those prices are set by the trademark holders. In order to remain a "Subway," that franchise operator isn't going to be able to take advantage of competitive pricing in order to buy plain butcher paper to wrap those sandwiches in. They'll buy trademarked paper with the Subway logo on it or they'll be stepping out of their contractual agreements. That being said, some high-margin chains are better than others. There is also certainly the possibility that a noted chain can be very successful. Those who own multiple locations are, obviously, very successful. (Usually.)

But, the notion of just sticking a manager in a store and then everything runs in a turn-key operation is not very realistic.

My business started out supplying suppliers who, in turn, supplied restaurants, among others. Some of our more popular products were in many restaurants and I have consulted with many in the industry, largely in the "back end" of restaurant operations and with the major commercial suppliers for restaurants. I have been in the back-end of more restaurants than most people, including those that work in them. I've consulted with large chain owners, suppliers, large manufacturers and the like for a very long time. Later, my business moved largely outside of that realm as we shifted our focus towards larger industrial concerns and different product lines. But, we still maintained a commercial restaurant product line and often worked with those sorts distributors (National/International distributors that one will find covering the entirely of the US and present in every restaurant one can imagine. I worked intimately with restaurants in the largest concentration of restaurants in the United States as well as low-competition restaurant regions. I am retired, now.)

Owning a restaurant and making it profitable and stable is very hard work. Yes, it can be very lucrative and that's why people like to open them. But, the majority of them fail.

If you know a successful chain owner, speak to them about this. Learn from their experience and ask for their advice. I wish you the very best for your success!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info