two questions- looking for some hard fact and a bit of opinion

First. I have a juggernaut with 10 endurance charges that builds up fairly rapidly and fortify in my main attack setup. As i understand it there is cap on phys dmg reduction of 75%, if anyone could confirm this btw, i would be grateful. Is a lot of armor really all that necessary, or would i just be wasting resources in the form of passives for armor and in the form of currency for high armor gear that also has all the other stats i need/want?

Second, and now to something completely different. And I guess i'm asking purely for opinion here. Crit Arc is such a straightforward simple build and i like those sometimes, and furthermore i really like Arc for some reason, but never quite gotten it to work. Is there a way to make a crit arc build that's endgame viable without a complete set of mirrored gear? I like it so much that i'm willing to spend something like 20 ex on it in addition to the gear i already have, but i guess i don't like it that much that i'll invest more. So either tell me no, but if you think it can be endgame viable please tell me if there are things that are really key to making it work.

and i thank you for your attention :)
Last bumped on Dec 5, 2016, 7:43:49 AM
The cap is 90% AFAIK. Armour works best against small hits; for big hits you'll want flat reduction like endurance charges, fortify (only for hits) or chaos golem. A lot of armour can still be powerful. I think Izaro's big abilities hit for something like 6-8k raw damage, so 24k armour would provide about 25% damage reduction. This stacks additively with other reductions. Together with 10 endurance charges and fortify it would be an 85% reduction.

I haven't played arc so can't comment on that.
It's worth noting: Fortify does not grant Physical Damage Reduction, but Reduced Damage Taken from Hits. It applies to all Damage types, and is a different multiplier from %PDR.
I think for 2nd that arc traps or mines could be a thing... don't really know about the crit part on that one.

There is also a REALLY strange one I theorycrafted together that I never got to test... it uses a shit ton of uniques and I somewhat doubt that it would work, but I really wish I could find someone to test it :/
If you're interested I can pm it to you if you want.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
To synthesize databeaver and Vipermagi's information: using databeaver's 25% PDR estimate for 24k Armour vs 6k to 8k Izaro base hit, 24k AR and 10 Endurance Charges there would grant 65% PDR subject to the 90% cap. Fortify does not contribute to the 90% cap, but if you wanted to account for it, (1 - [ (1 - 0.2) × (1 - 0.65) ] ) × 100% = 72% less damage taken from Hit compared to no mitigation.

75% was apparently the PDR cap in Closed Beta 4 years ago :) (I looked up old patch notes at one point)
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Thanks guys for all your helpful information. i have a fortified Fortify, so to speak, from the Unyielding Juggernaut Ascendancy Notable giving me 25% increased effect from fortify. so i guess adghar's formula
"
(1 - [ (1 - 0.2) × (1 - 0.65) ] ) × 100% = 72% less damage taken from Hit compared to no mitigation.

Would be something like (1 - [ (1 - 0.25) × (1 - 0.65) ] ) × 100% = 73,75% less damage

I sometimes feel like i have a good handle of the mechanics of this game, but i realize i'm a a bit lost sometimes. I have a kinda of an excuse. I was away from this game for over a year and returned recently, but i should have known this from before.

Endurance charges seem clear to me and so does fortify (except i'd like a confirmation on whether it helps against spells as well, just to be sure). Exactly how armor works is still unclear, i could look this up myself i guess and i't probably in an obvious place, like the armour page on the wiki, but i'm really in quite a hurry right now, so i'm hoping one of you would be so kind to point me to the right page for information on armor mechanics.

Thanks again! :)
"
fortify (except i'd like a confirmation on whether it helps against spells as well, just to be sure).

It works on any Spells that Hit, and thus all Spell Damage. It won't defend against any Damage over Time, though.

"
Exactly how armor works is still unclear, i could look this up myself i guess and i't probably in an obvious place, like the armour page on the wiki, but i'm really in quite a hurry right now, so i'm hoping one of you would be so kind to point me to the right page for information on armor mechanics.

Yeah, the wiki page on Armour is pretty good.

The gist of the matter is - Armour only works against Hits. It also grants less PDR% the higher the incoming Hit damage is before mitigation. So you can think of an enemy's higher Damage per Hit as "Armour Penetration" against your Armour.

If you're the math type of person, you can think of 10 times incoming Hit damage as "denominator diluting factor" or just something like D or H for ease. And define your Armour Rating as A. Then, your PDR% from Armour is simply A/(A+H). Two numbers! It can't get easier than that :)

Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Dec 5, 2016, 4:22:58 AM
Alright, sent you the build :D
Forgot to mention: tree has 200% increased life and 100% increased mana. SHOULD be enough, but then again there is no such thing as enough life in this game.

I originally came up with the idea as an attempt to make mind of the council work somehow xD
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
It's worth noting: Fortify does not grant Physical Damage Reduction, but Reduced Damage Taken from Hits. It applies to all Damage types, and is a different multiplier from %PDR.

Ah, of course. I noticed from the wiki that it applies to all damage types, but didn't consider all the implications.
"
adghar wrote:
"
fortify (except i'd like a confirmation on whether it helps against spells as well, just to be sure).

It works on any Spells that Hit, and thus all Spell Damage. It won't defend against any Damage over Time, though.

"
Exactly how armor works is still unclear, i could look this up myself i guess and i't probably in an obvious place, like the armour page on the wiki, but i'm really in quite a hurry right now, so i'm hoping one of you would be so kind to point me to the right page for information on armor mechanics.

Yeah, the wiki page on Armour is pretty good.

The gist of the matter is - Armour only works against Hits. It also grants less PDR% the higher the incoming Hit damage is before mitigation. So you can think of an enemy's higher Damage per Hit as "Armour Penetration" against your Armour.

If you're the math type of person, you can think of 10 times incoming Hit damage as "denominator diluting factor" or just something like D or H for ease. And define your Armour Rating as A. Then, your PDR% from Armour is simply A/(A+H). Two numbers! It can't get easier than that :)

I was in a hurry when i wrote my post and realized i could have searched for information on armor myself when i got home, when i was in my car, but thanks for being helpful, that's always a good quality.

I do think of myself as a math person, though i have no other training besides a year in collage, but math has always come easy to me (not trying to brag here). I've found it never hurts to have an easy way to think of things either, in case you wanna work things out easy in your head approximately, in a second or two, as opposed to exactly, having to devote somewhat more time. So thanks for both kinds of explanations. :)

I'll read the page on armor now.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info