Scorching Ray - Totems or self-cast?

Hi everyone, as title suggests I'm looking for ideas regarding SR (new league start).
I've seen a few builds, but I still can't really choose between the two options.

What I know is that I'd rather not play the usual RF build with Doon + Rise of the Phoenix and so on... tried that already. Looking for something "fresh".
Also, I'd go for Inquisitor (nice DPS, decent survivability with Consecrated Ground + regen) as ascendancy class.

So, possibilities I'm considering are:

[TOTEM] 2 (could be more with items) totems with ancestral bond => getting a few totems nodes (Shamanistic Fury, Totemic Mastery, ...) + fire/burning nodes;

[SELF-CAST] Simple fire/burning-based spellcaster => Heart of Flame, Holy Fire, Explosive Impact, other elemental nodes... getting more survival 'n' DPS nodes.

For both of these, there could be 3 choices regarding survivability: life, CI or low-life.

I'm asking you all, which of the 2x3 possibilities would you choose? :)
Not looking for Skill Trees specifically, I can manage those (they'd still be appreciated!). Same goes for items and Support Gems! Feel free to add as much detail as you like.

Thanks in advance! See you in-game!
Last bumped on Dec 1, 2016, 5:43:57 PM
I'd probably choose CI Self Cast for the following reasons:

1. Don't have to worry about reflect.
2. CI is easier to build around and easier to gear (yes, really).
3. Scorching Ray totems seem to have a weird bug where they always start the beam aiming down and right in relation to the screen. This means they will have to rotate 180 degrees if a mob is up and to the left of the totem. To see this in action look at any scorching ray totem build guide that has a video.
IGN - Customs
#1 Duelist Season 4
Iam going to play it as a self cast version with Cast when channeling gem proccing firestorm/flame surge + RF + searing bond.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info