Any FL Studio electronic/metal music producers here?

I need help figuring out how to make a guitar/electric guitar sound in Harmor for FL Studio. I've searched youtube and google and only found a couple tutorials that didn't really help. I'm trying to avoid using the image re-synthesis unless someone can explain that to me too.

Also, maybe people who use FL Studio can share where they learned what they know? I've really only come across one place for decent tutorials with Harmor and that was SeamlessR's youtube channel, but he sorta talks about things in a way I don't understand yet.
Designer of Unending Hunger and The Craving divination card.
Last bumped on Dec 2, 2016, 1:26:11 PM
Not an FL Studio user, so my big question is, "are you playing the guitar yourself or using FL Studio to do the guitaring for you?" I've used other software to record guitar and I've always found it easier to simply get my guitar sound on the way in... no unnecessary toying with the software to get my sound, as it's more or less in there.
[quote="Lovecraftuk"]I think the new meta is everyone bitching about the new league. [/quote]
"
Not an FL Studio user, so my big question is, "are you playing the guitar yourself or using FL Studio to do the guitaring for you?" I've used other software to record guitar and I've always found it easier to simply get my guitar sound on the way in... no unnecessary toying with the software to get my sound, as it's more or less in there.

Well... I don't own a guitar or any instruments so I have to generate all my sounds with my DAW.
Designer of Unending Hunger and The Craving divination card.
Well, I'll give you some general advice for getting a good metal tone in your recordings.

First, don't turn the distortion/overdrive up to 11. It loses a lot of tonality and "punch". When trying to tune in your settings, start halfway and tweak it til you get the right combination of crunch and punch. Related to this, beware the "scooped EQ" with the lows and highs cranked up and the mids toned way down. It sounds good on its own, but when mixed with bass, drums, other guitars, and whatever else you put in there, it just gets buried in the mix. If anything, do a "reverse scoop" and then tweak the lows and highs til they have good definition. If you take the time to tweak your EQ and distortion settings at once, you will save a lot of time in the long term.

Second, when it comes to the reverb family of effects (reverb, delay, chorus, echo, flange), less is generally more. It sounds cool to go overboard every once in a while, but for the most part, a slight touch of reverb will thicken the sound without losing definition.

Definition is a key here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ucWvacx03k This is two guitarists (with some keyboard tracks thrown in) and it pretty much sums up what I've suggested... listen to the full track for full context.
[quote="Lovecraftuk"]I think the new meta is everyone bitching about the new league. [/quote]
Last edited by EpicGoesXerxis on Dec 2, 2016, 10:47:30 PM
Ive never used fruity loops, I dunno what harmor is, presuming a software synth ya?

I dunno if this will be helpful tbh but if you want something in the ballpark of a metal guitar from a synth sometimes its best to start with a piano patch if the synth has one. Load up a piano and you may want to give the volume envelope a bit more sustain if it doesnt sound like it can hold a notes length quite right. Then hopefully the patch has an envelope on a low pass filter of some kind, often you need to stop the filter opening quite as far as it does either by reducing the amount the envelope pushes the filter or simply lowering the initial start position of the filter itself, just to dull the sound slightly so it doesnt have that crystal high ring of a piano note. What youre trying to achieve is something that sounds like a really clean guitar, almost like an acustic guitar even is fine, making it sound like an electric metal guitar from there is all about the distortion.

To get the right kind of distortion theres quite a few free guitar amp simulating vst effects, just search around and try and find bundles of them if you can. Honestly I forget what ones Ive used and my pc with all my software on is packed away as Im moving house, but I downloaded a ton of them in the past, you get ones that simulate stacks of various types, when you run sounds through them they can drastically change them and turn everything clean into a very metal sound. Probably best to find something, slam it on the end of your synth and then go back to tweaking your synths envelopes and filters once you have it running through the fx. Usually I find an eq after the guitar amp fx is needed to boost a bit of the low end and cut some of the mids when using those sort of things to get back a bit of depth. If you google "guitar amp vst" or "metal guitar amp vst" youll get a ton of stuff come up.

Honestly if the synth doesnt kick it try using a sampler, if you can get any sort of sampler or even another free synth that does any sort of guitar or other plucked/hammered string instrument like a piano, doesnt matter how clean and bright it sounds at first when you slam it through the right guitar amp fx itll give it the tone u want.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info