Fasting

"
Maceless wrote:
[
"
CalamityAOE wrote:

You'll probably feel great until you realize what it does to your digestion track.

Basically think of all that junk that's in your tummy and pipes drying up and turning hard.

That is disconcerting... Will it work it's way out once I start eating again?

While it's unhealthy to go that long without eating, you aren't likely to get a fecalith because of it.

The peristalsis (muscle contractions that move food along) of your digestive track is stimulated by eating, but also by the pressure of food within your intestines, so under normal homeostasis, food won't stop working its way down and out just because you aren't eating. Your digestive track will slow down, and I wouldn't recommend going more than 72 hours.

Paralytic ileus (when your intestines stop moving) is something that you will need to go to the hospital for. There are a few things you want watch for

*If your abdomen starts to swell - particularly if it feels hard like a drum (tight enough that you cannot press in at all)

*If you begin developing a fever

*If you begin to feel confused or lightheaded

*If you begin to feel severe abdominal pain.

If any of these happen, I would recommend calling a medical provider (there are some free 24/7 numbers).

It isn't proven science, but there have been some studies showing that chewing gum may help stimulate your intestines.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23551339
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20228654

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Nov 25, 2016, 11:25:09 PM
"
Boem wrote:
"
innervation wrote:

-OT- I feel like I take a contradictory position against you the majority of times I quote you. Just an observation. -OT-

If the one action is life-changing or life-defining it doesn't need to add up. It's a giant integer in and of itself.

Your talking about trauma's, either mentality or physically, which leave scars and remind us of their potency every time we are confronted with that scar.

A trauma is relived every time you become aware of the scar, it isn't a singular event in a life-time, otherwise it wouldn't have the effect your dedicating to it.

I get what your saying, but i refute the notion that it's a singular event in a life-time, the trigger is a singular event.

Here is the thing in relation to the OP, i'm sure the intent is genuine but it is still hypocritical to undergo a fast if your just doing it to pat yourself on the back for willpowers sake when there are people forced into it without any say in the mater.

In that sense, if you want to contribute to a change on a larger scale, long therm endured
changes in life-style are a bigger feat.
"lead by example" is one of the things thought to me.
A life-style is passed down the generations, a whimsical pat on the back or ego is not.

I find self-flagellation not inducive of harnessing willpower, i more or less recognize it as the ploys of a bored ego in need of a hug.

Then again, i'm an odd-ball so don't be bothered by my opinions to much, everybody is free to do as they please.

People forced into it are not really relevant. There is a difference between volition and circumstance. Neither has to be about being pat on the back, though people are often inclined to do so for both.
i.e. "You're amazing!", "Such a brave, brave man.".
Though I guess you are correct in the bored ego aspect. The OP is structured that way. What can I say? I have been a boring person for so long that when I get excited about sharing something that is how it emerges.

Whether this will be life changing, I would argue that every event that ever happens to you is life changing. Regardless of scale. It will augment you in the smallest of ways. Perhaps this 7 day fast will be a revelation for me. Either way I want to see it through.

I would be interested in hearing what ways you recommend harnessing willpower.

Anyways . . .

Day: 1
Weight: 165

Not bad, only feeling hungry when bored. Thirstier than usual though. Sleight headache, though that is probably from caffeine withdraw.
A kid with a magnifying glass. . . looming down on the anthill. Eventually one is going to get you.
Last edited by Maceless on Nov 26, 2016, 6:01:37 PM
Best reason for fasting:

Matthew 17:20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

Matthew 17:21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

Although that requires fasting everything carnal, such as entertainment and anything your flesh would normally enjoy (including food, though water is okay).

I'd also like to say, while that kind of fasting and seeking God isn't easy to do, having nothing being impossible to you out weighs the self discipline and physical suffering you have to endure.
Designer of Unending Hunger and The Craving divination card.
"
Best reason for fasting:

Matthew 17:20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

Although that requires fasting everything carnal, such as entertainment and anything your flesh would normally enjoy (including food, though water is okay).

I'd also like to say, while that kind of fasting and seeking God isn't easy to do, having nothing being impossible to you out weighs the self discipline and physical suffering you have to endure.

Boem 11:13 Only a fool seeks guidance of others when interested in the self. Trust,faith and fortitude begin with the self, since it's an expanding action, not a collapsing one.

Growth moves outwards, not inwards.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:
"
Best reason for fasting:

Boem 11:13 Only a fool seeks guidance of others when interested in the self. Trust,faith and fortitude begin with the self, since it's an expanding action, not a collapsing one.

Growth moves outwards, not inwards.

Peace,

-Boem-

Eternal growth can only move outward once it is being fuel by God from within yourself. All other growth is temporary and otherwise meaningless, since flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God.

Furthermore, I agree we shouldn't seek guidance from other people, instead we should go to the source of all Truth, that is God. And how can we know ourselves any better if we do not learn from the One who gave us life and designed our very souls?
Designer of Unending Hunger and The Craving divination card.
"
Maceless wrote:
I figured I could make a post each day in this thread, documenting progress. Silly as it is.

It's been a while since our last update.
Are you dead?
Did you cheat?
Did you forget?
Are you lacking enough energy for daily updates?
"
PsiBlades2002 wrote:

Are you dead?

Close.
A kid with a magnifying glass. . . looming down on the anthill. Eventually one is going to get you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info