HC Temp leagues: An endangered species?

This recent change of MTX rewards for the challenge leagues is worrying. Here's why:

-The same rewards are given whether you complete the challenges in HC or SC
-There's a limited time to get them
-Players stay away from HC for fear of missing out on these MTX rewards
-SC is quite easy and virtually guarantees their attainment if enough time is put in
-Thus, most people are going to go the easy route, i.e. SC

When this system was first introduced, there were separate rewards for HC and SC (the 1 month flashback - red and blue Seraph armor), which I think is a better policy. Here's why:

-HC-only MTX will give players bragging rights -- for in HC, nothing is guaranteed
-SC players can still get their league rewards
-Will boost the number of HC players
-Puts the word 'challenge' in 'Challenge League'

If these steps are not taken, HC will most likely die. The slow death already observed:

-Look at how empty it was after just the first couple of weeks? (compared to previous leagues like Invasion/Beyond/etc.)
-Low number of players = smaller economy = more expensive/limited selection = many builds are locked
-Public party lists seldom have more than a few entries, and it's usually WTB/WTS entries (please ban these selfish, lazy, useless sacks of garbage)

I only play HC - the high stakes are what makes the game fun for me. Moreover, I only play the temp Leagues. I fear for the future of HC POE.
Last bumped on Nov 1, 2016, 1:20:22 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Get ready for altf4 comments from people who never played HC.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
I highly doubt MTX rewards have such an impact, if any. Typically, dedicated HC players prefer this mode for a great variety of reasons, and MTX rewards aren't really the motivating factor.

What kills/killed HC leagues is the hilarious balance, the lab, some Atlas specifics related to progression, the equalized content of both leagues, the absence of league-specific items. Could be more, probably.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
"
torturo wrote:
I highly doubt MTX rewards have such an impact, if any. Typically, dedicated HC players prefer this mode for a great variety of reasons, and MTX rewards aren't really the motivating factor.

What kills/killed HC leagues is the hilarious balance, the lab, some Atlas specifics related to progression, the equalized content of both leagues, the absence of league-specific items. Could be more, probably.

OP isn't wrong though. It's a combination of factors and the lack of distinction between HC and SC is certainly one of them.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
While I do think HC and SC should have differences in their reward (even if only in the color), I don't think it's as big of an impact on HC's viability as you make it out to be.

I think the problem will become, how do they keep track of challenges if they are the same? Can I do 11 challenges on SC, go to HC, do an easy one and get the HC reward? I don't think the system is able to differentiate same accomplishment between HC and SC. Simply fix could be what D3 did with Conquests where it's the same but has a different name. This way we could get people who go 40/40 40/40 to show true dedication (get I_NO to stick around for an extra week every league). But it would penalize those who are not nolifers who play both and have to redo them on both to advance.

Also obligatory altf4 comment because Xav called it.
Don't want to put a bomb here but honestly do you really want to see this forum in a continuous flame war between HC players and SC players h24 like it used to be ?

Yes: Add some different MTX to HC leagues.
No: Let the things keep going like now.

I don't mind personaly keyboard and mouse are now in a locker but i care about the sanity of this game just no please don't differenciate again both players.

Note: And yes i changed my mind few months ago i would have been fully agree with all you said.

Helio
Hf :)
Last edited by Heli0nix on Oct 27, 2016, 3:59:36 PM
Screw the "work for a reward" mentality. Softcore players should stay softcore if they enjoy that game mode. Instead of luring softcore players into hardcore with different rewards, people should play hardcore for hardcore. Not the rewards.

That game mode is tainted with recent implementations though, so everyone is staying away. Next league i am going softcore as well or i might stop playing altogether.
I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.
meh. I would love to see it have a different color or something.

I would love it even more if they actually put some more interesting and hard changes in HC challenge leagues (that are NOT one-shot mechanics)

I mean, really, all HC now is stack ES and log out league for most it seems... and the build diversity has been tanking fast. I used to be pure HC player, but I am really starting to think I may just play SC for the challenges... then I realize why I play HC and I think I might just quit instead.
I guess I will have to buy a one way ticket to hell with your lives
I agree, MTX rewards don't have such a big impact on this. I was an HC player since forever. But now, in the Atlas patch I didn't even bother starting the league with an HC character. I wanted to experience the new endgame. The thing is, there's too much content now that is not HC-viable. Shaper can become a possible thing to do if you get some experience, but the lab is going to remain a pain in the ass in HC forever.
It's not about accepting a challenge anymore - it's about kicking myself in the nuts. Especially with the constant disconnects I've been getting after the atlas patch.

It's true however, that if HC-essence had different MTX rewards, I would have participated.
I still regret to this day that I didn't get the Crimson Seraph armor set back in the days.

Last edited by veek91 on Oct 27, 2016, 4:39:07 PM
"
Heli0nix wrote:
Don't want to put a bomb here but honestly do you really want to see this forum in a continuous flame war between HC players and SC players h24 like it used to be ?

I'm not sure that I follow you. The purpose of this thread is to speculate on why the HC leagues are dying / discuss possible solutions to revitalize it.

"
Pyrokar wrote:
Screw the "work for a reward" mentality. Softcore players should stay softcore if they enjoy that game mode. Instead of luring softcore players into hardcore with different rewards, people should play hardcore for hardcore. Not the rewards.

That game mode is tainted with recent implementations though, so everyone is staying away. Next league i am going softcore as well or i might stop playing altogether.

Well, they are called 'challenges' not 'participation trophies'. The point I was making is that, in my opinion, and from speaking to friends who are playing SC Essence, these MTXs are pulling people away from HC. They'd prefer to not miss out on free weapon/portal effects and thus abandon the league they'd normally play.

Yet I think you make a good point - it could in fact be other factors leading to its demise (lab etc.) not necessarily these new MTX incentives.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info