Why are MTX so expensive?

Have GGG run some simulations or gathered data on it or what is the reasoning behind it?

The reason I ask is because I think one would rather sell 5 mtx for 5 bucks each than 2 for 10 bucks each.

I've often looked at some MTX and thought "That's great, if it was cheaper I'd buy it". Don't get me wrong, I have bought MTX, but many of them just feel overpriced and I'm not even sure if it makes any sense from a business point of view, because as said before, there's good reason to believe you'd actually end up making more money by slashing the prices due to the much larger number of people now willing to buy some.
Last bumped on Oct 27, 2016, 7:56:27 AM
There was an extensive discussion on this subject on the last Lioneye's Watch podcast. I think GGG has probably figured out what price point works best for them on the visual MTX's, as far as quantity vs. profit margin. I won't pretend to have any actual information as to where they come up with their prices, but I would assume that they didn't just pick random numbers out of the air.
U MAD?
I'm sure it's not random and they did look into it. If you look at most F2P games, they have some affordable ones for general public (stash tab bundles), and then some expensives ones (like armor sets) for collectors.

You have to realize that the vast majority of players do not spend a single dime on these games, and they live off of whales for the most part. Those who have purchased a ton of supporter packs have more than enough points cumulated to buy whatever they want no matter the price tag.
They also once said that you technically aren't buying the mtx, from their point of view they're given to you as a reward/motivation for supporting the game.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
They need to make money. They decided long time ago that the best way to make money was to have some really expensive bling so that people could show off how much they were willing to shell out to support the game... "fans". Without this cost, GGG wouldn't be operational and no one would get to show off.

Live with it.
I believe at the beginning things were cheaper but a 1 time use. Now you can take your armor skins off the old character and put them on the new one but the prices are higher.
We fight to delay the end because it's the means that matter.
They kinda are, if you think about it, you can almost buy an AAA title for the price of two armor packs or four of the more expensive weapon effects (I'm taking daily deal prices here, because those are the right ones, deals are just there to give you an extra nudge). If you spent, say, a thousand dollars on a game that's probably as much as any developer would expect a player to spend on his game and a player would in turn expect to buy everything in the mtx store with that kind of money, however he can't.

I suppose the prices are just a leftover from the time when they didn't have all that much in the shop so if someone spent a lot of money he would buy everything and be left with too much cash and a feeling he wasted his money.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Oct 26, 2016, 5:26:03 PM
Because the current prices make them the most money. Simplified, it's way easier to get one whale to pay 30 bucks than ten normal players to pay 3 bucks each.

If you look at other F2P games it's pretty much the same thing. Even really shitty mobile games have MTX that cost 50+ bucks.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Last edited by Xavderion on Oct 26, 2016, 5:36:59 PM
The more people with the same MTX the less desirable it is. I would not want gloom wings if every pant less hobo in sarn had one as well.

It's a great marketing model.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
"
Nephalim wrote:
The more people with the same MTX the less desirable it is. I would not want gloom wings if every pant less hobo in sarn had one as well.

They got supporter packs for the whales, that segment is already covered.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info