Chris Wilson on Auction/bartering developed in China

I can't wait so see all the pro AH guys going like "i can't sell shit, I never find anything valueable, economy is broken" as soon as they get their AH.

An AH will make all the stuff that an average player finds on an average day of playing PoE completely worthless. Supply and demand. Easy.

Currently it is possible to sell that kind of stuff at a decent price only because it takes EFFORT to buy and sell stuff.

However, if PoE had an item sink, then an AH might actually work. And it would ensure the longevity of PoE. So maybe that would be a starting point before talking about an AH.
"
RandallPOE wrote:

How will this market manipulation work that forces everyone to sell their items for less than they are worth?

if you got a trade system that:

- stores items outside stash tabs, prices will plunge because every item found with life/es on it will find it's way into the trading system, more than offsetting demand.

- stores items inside stash tabs the same will happen from players with alot of stash tabs. while it's not that big of a change, offline trading from stash tabs makes premium tabs pay to win because it provides a steady income with no real time investment needed.

manipulations of auction house systems? i can think of groups of players splitting up with one group mass selling certain items or currency to lower the prices and the other group buying them and the other cheap offers off the market.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Everyone has their own red lines when it comes to a game like this. I'd stop supporting the game if I felt I could pay for a significant advantage. I don't feel like that is the case right now.

My only other line would be the implementation of an Auction House which they said would never happen. I hope we do not see anything like this on our server.

I'd still play though. I'd stop playing the day items lost their value. It has been trending in that direction already, but I do still have joy when I find a great yellow piece of jewelry, a rare card, or a valuable unique. That's when I move onto a new game.
"
Barivius wrote:
Everyone has their own red lines when it comes to a game like this. I'd stop supporting the game if I felt I could pay for a significant advantage. I don't feel like that is the case right now.

My only other line would be the implementation of an Auction House which they said would never happen. I hope we do not see anything like this on our server.

I'd still play though. I'd stop playing the day items lost their value. It has been trending in that direction already, but I do still have joy when I find a great yellow piece of jewelry, a rare card, or a valuable unique. That's when I move onto a new game.
Funny thing, i was going to buy another pack today, probably Chimera since Halloween and shit was rolling around anyways and i need points. I woke up, saw that reddit thread, instant disgust.

Now i know i wont be spending any money on Path of Exile anymore now that i know they have it in their mind that think might implement it.

Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
This is definitely a lose lose for GGG and I don't envy the choice they're going to have to make.

Gamers today want easy to understand/instant gratification and the current trade system is pretty far from either and that's surely hurting their brand but on the other hand if they do make it a lot easier they risk alienating part of their hardcore base - do something in the middle and you've wasted development time as people will ignore it and keep using poe.trade.

Good luck with that GGG.
Last edited by GeorgAnatoly on Oct 18, 2016, 5:20:53 PM
"
Nephalim wrote:
Because AH killed diablo 3.

Correction... RMAH (Real Money Auction House) killed D3. Thats was a disaster waiting to happen from the moment it was announced. If they had just stuck with a Gold only AH they would have not had even a fraction of the problems they had. Of Course there would have still been some botting you cant stop that but it wouldn't have been on the scale it was with money involved.

That said to be completely honest just the Stash Tabs being able to sale things out of has made selling things not only harder but drove the prices of most everything into the ground.. I think an AH would only make this even more so. Some games just wont fit well with an AH.. And i believe this is one of those games.
If they add an AH my fear is to counter the effects it would have on prices they would in turn have to make drops even more rare than they already are making trade or using the AH the only way to gear even more than it already is. Either drops would have to be made more rare OR they would have to implement some sort of item sink for uniques that won't sell because they are so common. Maybe a new vendor recipe for a full set of uniques? Like the chaos and regal only with uniques? And maybe it would give a divine and at a certain lvl 75 or 80 ilvl it gives an Exalt. IDK just throwing out ideas.

Trade needs some love but im not sold on an AH being that love trade needs.
There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
Last edited by Demonoz on Oct 18, 2016, 5:31:10 PM
I would say poetrade is probably one of the reasons i'm still playing this game because of its highly precise search features and connecting me with people that want to sell stuff that I need.

As an end user of poetrade and poe player, I am really frustrated by finding a thing that matches my search criteria and then being unable to buy it at the asked price because afk/offline/player too busy to exit lab or map.

Its not uncommon for me to use poetrade to search for gear that has a very specific combination of resists to cap myself for elemental weakness.

I'm not looking to haggle for a lower price, I have the currency, I just want the goddamn item so I can get on with playing. Had to send tells to 10 different people last night to buy a sorrow of the divine flask that sells for 2c, ffs.

I think ggg implementing an ingame AH system that intentionally has an item search weaker than poetrade is just intentionally sabotaging it so they can point and say it doesnt work or isnt popular.

Being able to buy stuff from people even if they arent online or if they are busy in map/lab would solve a huge number of trade problems for me. Would happily buy more mtx and supporter packs if ggg make the trade experience better than it is now.
Lab is a chore

Delve / Harbinger / Incursion / Delirium best leagues.
Last edited by Ruby_Lux on Oct 18, 2016, 5:39:39 PM
"
Nephalim wrote:
Because AH killed diablo 3.

False.

Item drops balanced around AH plus RMAH did.

HC GAH was awesome for as long as it lasted.

Some sort of auction in PoE (without resorting to third party websites) would help a ton. For instance, if .xyz disappears then trading is done for.
"
IronSteel wrote:

Item drops balanced around AH plus RMAH did.

I believe the RMAH did not play into this for the most part. It was that gold was the best if not the only way to upgrade your character while leveling. Then at endgame, the best gear wasn't even available on it due to the cap.

"
ladish wrote:

actually I think it's:
AH
- players find items they want fast
- players reach their gear/progress cap, get bored and quit

no-AH
- players grind to self-find items or put effort into trading for them in imperfect system modeled on d2
- players whinge about not finding gear while continuing to play the game

Interesting that the arguments against having a way to search for and buy easily so we can get back to doing what we want the most in PoE, playing new skills and experimenting, monster bashing, and exile leveling, are mostly focused on players reaching gear and especially the level 100 cap and quitting. That argument may be true for a few % of players but always overlooks the other way that PoE currently is coded toward and that is GGG making the path to greater gear and the grind to level 100 so arduous and time consuming that a greater % of players quit from grind tedium or shear exhaustion from map grind burnout.

GGG clearly fails to see that PoE should be coded to allow the path from level 68 to 100 be easier and then set a greater challenge for players to then do that for all 7 classes. GGG should have a very large carrot (grand prize) for any player with level 100 builds in all 7 classes and an exile Hall of Fame ladder to showcase the 7 builds for any player that does so.

That should be the final goal playing the endgame and not for GGG to prevent playing to level 100. Poisoning the playing field drives away more players daily than would leave because they got a level 100 build. PoE is great because of it being a wide open build sandbox. GGG shouldn't be nerfing millions out of the endgame to prevent level 100, they should be engineering higher combinations of prizes (such as the level 100 in all 7 classes) for rewarding those who push a build to 100, not punishing those who try.

Vinegar is most definitely worse than honey. Wise up GGG and all who are in lockstep with their mindset and make the endgame goals "fun to play".

It's very sad that GGG can't think more 3-dimensional and is unable to see the bigger picture because of their past and present very limited isometric view. PoE could and should be so much better for so many more arpg fans than it is. Sigh!!!
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Oct 19, 2016, 9:06:16 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info