Chris Wilson on Auction/bartering developed in China

From reddit :

"
On the GGG realm, there is instant, accurate item searching via the public stash API. On the Chinese realm, there is not. You can search by item type (for example, rings) and you see pages of hundreds of arbitrary rings from the market. You can then make offers on those. It's harder to find the exact chase item you're looking for. (For this reason, it's not accurate to call it an Auction House)

We don't plan to clone the Chinese system directly onto our realm, but could potentially borrow appropriate pieces of it. We are still discussing this and its effect on our economy. We are acutely aware of the danger of implementing accurate search + buyouts.
More information in the near future.

For the community, what is the danger of implementing accurate search and buyouts? That i wont spend hours trading and wasting time? The time i should invest in actually playing maps to farm currency so i could complete challenges/atlas by again, trading as i know i will never drop some items in reasonable amount of time.

I read all kinds of suggestions about trading implementation, but where is the danger if i will have more time to play the game and less time afk in hideout trading?

Market can be manipulated already, if you gather 10 people who will invest into flipping and dominating 1 or more items, AH would make it obsolete, unless someone would love to buy 200 of same item and resell it for 1c profits.

I'm not for or against auctions, but i want to know, why do devs seem like they want to slow the game down on every step?

I've even seen suggestions that are literally , well sorry i can't use the word here, but i will give an example :
"make us able to list ilvl66 or lower items on ah only"
"make it limited to 20c buyout max"
and i wont list others cause they trigger me lol.

So why make the game harder on us? PoE is an old enough game yes, but QoL beats dangers imo. Cause market already is as it is. Can't get much worse, we saw that almost nothing significant happened with garena merge too.

I'm anxiously awaiting on what GGG will decide to be their next step in, I sincerely hope, IMPROVING, the trade experience in this game, and I hope it will be oriented towards making us play the game more and lose less time trading.
Spreading salt since 2006
Last edited by Necromael on Oct 18, 2016, 3:09:05 AM
Last bumped on Oct 29, 2016, 9:58:54 AM
"
For the community, what is the danger of implementing accurate search and buyouts? That i wont spend hours trading and wasting time?

logical conclusion:

AH
- players find items they want fast
- players spend saved time killing monsters

no-AH
- players are not looking for items in no-Ah trading system because it is waste of time
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
Last edited by kamil1210 on Oct 18, 2016, 3:35:54 AM
"
kamil1210 wrote:
"
For the community, what is the danger of implementing accurate search and buyouts? That i wont spend hours trading and wasting time?

logical conclusion:

AH

no-AH
- playrs are not looking for items in no-Ah trading system because it is waste of time

actually I think it's:
AH
- players reach their gear/progress cap, get bored and quit

no-AH
- players grind to self-find items or put effort into trading for them in imperfect system modeled on d2
- players whinge about not finding gear while continuing to play the game
Because AH killed diablo 3.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
"
ladish wrote:
"
kamil1210 wrote:
"

logical conclusion:

AH

no-AH
- playrs are not looking for items in no-Ah trading system because it is waste of time

actually I think it's:
AH
- players reach their gear/progress cap, get bored and quit

no-AH
- players grind to self-find items or put effort into trading for them in imperfect system modeled on d2
- players whinge about not finding gear while continuing to play the game

If only OP would said that instead of blaming non-ah for "wasting time by searching for itmes" lol
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
I was referring to wasting time as being afk in hideout and actively selling and buying so that i progress, not searching items, although that is included in time wasted too.

I don't blame anything, trading is maybe 0.1% of my playtime, I exclusively buy items needed to progress, like i spent 300 chaos on maps that i never got chance to drop ingame.

If having all the gear I want is the reason for me to get bored, this game is not for me or theoretical person described. At very least, it would motivate me to push harder at endgame content, and reach my other goals, like having 1 of each item in game and that is nearly impossible. So no, I don't think AH would make me bored, it would make me play more.

Getting bored and quitting is the most stupid argument i've had chance to read, sorry. In my personal case, I don't play the game to reach gear or progress, rather long term goals that involve years of dedication ingame that aren't subjected to random mood swings or dissatisfaction if something is not according to my will or is nerfed.

As I stated by the end of my post, i welcome anything GGG will make after their long time thinking and planning about it.

And to say it again, players that quit fast are not real arpg players demographic and they don't truly like PoE or haven't figured out all the layers and depth of the game.
"
I was referring to wasting time as being afk in hideout and actively selling and buying so that i progress, not searching items, although that is included in time wasted too.

Do you know you can play do maps and trade at the same time?

IN non ah system you do challanges slower becasue you can't buy power, in AH game became full trading simulator and trading is best way to became the best. In AH system you would spend a lot of time trading if you would want to be the best and play in the most efficient way.

In non ah system you would spend entire time killing monsters becasue trading would be too big problem.

So telling "give us full automatic ah so we can focus on kill monsters in game about killing monsters" is absurd.
Last edited by kamil1210 on Oct 18, 2016, 4:15:14 AM
"
kamil1210 wrote:
"

Do you know you can play do maps and trade at the same time?

IN non ah system you do challanges slower becasue you can't buy power, in AH game became full trading simulator and trading is best way to became the best. In AH system you would spend a lot of time trading if you would want to be the best and play in the most efficient way.

In non ah system you would spend entire time killing monsters becasue trading would be too big problem.

So telling "give us full automatic ah so we can focus on kill monsters in game about killing monsters" is absurd.

I never saw full automatic AH in any game I played.

I agree that AH would ruin the game for casuals and they would quit too fast.

And it is not true that without AH I do challenges slower, I do them very fast, depending how many currency I invest, last 6 challenges I did were all in 2 days when I decided to spend currency. But that is not the point of thread.

Everyone has their way of playing efficiently, if someone takes satisfaction in trading and gears himself up and quits, he just freed the market of a person like himself.

I can now only conclude, that AH is dangerous for casuals, as they would have a chance to progress like all other people that invest few times more time than them. And so they would quit faster, cause this game is so boring when you have a 6l. Oh wait, that actually already happens.
Last edited by Necromael on Oct 18, 2016, 4:21:22 AM
"
Nephalim wrote:
Because AH killed diablo 3.

Real money AH killed d3 and RoS finished off the game in coordination with actiblizz. Gold ah was balanced. pls no more offtopic
Last edited by Necromael on Oct 18, 2016, 4:31:41 AM
IMO the only good solution is have an AH just for the "problematic" items, items that have 1alch/1fus/1c/1chisel buyouts, items that "nobody" bothers to sell after the first 2-3 days... items like most cards, maps, gems..

So, an automated AH for tohse cheap items and the rest is traded as is.

I wouldn't mind if the "AH" would only have fixed prizes:
-1 alch
-1 chisel
-1 chaos
-3 chaos
-5 chaos
-10 chaos

my2chaos
d:-D*

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type