-= Westworld =-

After only 2 episodes I'm ready to rant.
Tiny spoilers, maybe, it's only 2 episodes so don't worry.
You're gonna watch it anyways.

Fuck the hype. Fuck the praise. Fuck this show.
It's classified as drama, sci-fi, western.
I would have added a big, fat phony MYSTERY, which is just "for the sake of it".

All the efforts, the actors, the production value, all is worthless unless you have a proper frame.
Again, the producers thought they were too edgy for their own sake and decided to ride it all out on some "awe" factor. Yes, it's pretty different from anything we've seen for quite a while, but that all pales if you can not immerse the viewer by convincing them about the universe which the story takes place in!

Time travel in Terminator and Back to the future works, without going into the technical details. The viewer does not need a professor to debate any issues related to a time travel paradox!
Westworld however has a TON of holes which it doesn't bother explaining, and not because it doesn't want to, but it isn't capable of!

Let me start with the small ones:
The show is on HBO, and of course that leads to totally unnecessary screentime of tits and asses, which bring no weight or value to the show whatsoever. It's just a cheap low gimmick to lure in desperate youngh male audience with "hey look at those boobs", and for no other reason but "because we are HBO".

The acting:
Unrealistic. I hate nothing more than try hards, lines that are delivered and timed so painfully obviously that nobody else is going to interupt them even by a split second. Everyone is just waiting to perfectly finish their line, and especially the tech/manager lady seems so unfitting with her deliverance.

The similarities:
Written by Michael Crichton, same guy who gave us Jurassic Park.
The similarities are so in our face; rich people wanting to escape reality and seek out some extraordinary adventure/experience. Shit fucks up, things go wrong.
Dinosaur park: Robot park. Arrive in a shuttle. Old white hair owner/main architect.
But here they just replace the dinosaurs with partial virtual reality, and kids with sex.
Nice spin. Fucking slow golf clap. Have fun rolling in money Michael.

The big problems:
I didn't watch the original 1973 movie Westworld, but I can already guess how at that time nobody could have imagined anything close to modern day virtual realities or artificial intelligence.
So, the whole movie is probably about a real western themed park with real robots, and real guests.

Now however they had to update the story, and there are so many gigantic obvious questions that are straight up ignored to a enfuriating degree. And I can promise you, they are not going to be answered by the time this show ends, because of the "woowoo mystery effect" bullshit.
"It's all about the journey maaaaaaaan........"

1) Entering the world.
So the Westworld park/compound is a real physical place somewhere near the grand canyon, surrounded by classic wild west scenery. Straight off the bat it's established that humans and animals are artificial robots. Later we see the Dr. Ford (Anthony Hopkins) use a elevator to enter the desert.

They have a giant hologram/overview map of the park, also smaller close up cameras inside the towns, to follow individuals. Details like this don't really matter; we are in the future, tiny camera bugs in walls or even insect drones, who cares, all plausible.

Two guests enter the park in ep2. They dress up and enter a train directly connected to the park.
And just like *maaaagic* they seemlessly merge into the westworld reality, inside a moving steam train. How?

2) Time cycles.
The script keeps resetting all the robots. How long does a event cycle last?
A day? A week? NOT A WORD ABOUT THE LENGTH! No indicators whatsoever!
There is destruction of scenery/props and robots, so do the WW workers have to repair and clean up and reset EVERYTHING every time a guest goes wild living out his fantasies by just walking around shooting up people? The cleaning and repairing is still 1:1 real time... HOW LONG DOES A RESET TAKE??

3) Intervention.
Engineers are able to stop all host activities by "freezing time" (robot actions) and just do as they please. No guests are ever in the same situation even nearby... every time 100% only robots.
WHAT A COINCIDENT!!

4) They drop exposition how hosts (robots) can't hurt guests (humans).
It's all about guns. One of the hot headed male guests suggests just shooting at random people to "find out who is a guest and who's not"...

In ep1 we see Ed Harris get shot at, the bullets are magically deflected. So, they can't be blanks because there wouldn't be any impact dust, right? But it's established how everything in the world is real, dynamic, with physical consequences? So if robots can use guns to put holes in each other, then how can those bullets be selective and magically never hurt guests? If this world has real tools that can inflict real impact, then how do they magically manage to pull off this "immunity"??
I would understand it all if this was a 100% virtual game world, but IT ISN'T!!
So what the fuck?!

Also, guests don't (hopefully) have any super powers, so any evil host could get them stuck, lock them into a closet, put them in a deep hole, or use other environmental things to disable them, without directly hurting them lethally, right? SHIT MAKES NO SENSE!! Praise the american writer once again "only guns can kill people", but what if... "shut up, stop asking real questions that make me look stupid and look at these tits, LOOK AT THESE TITS HERE!" Wow...

Summary:

I'm still convinced they are never going to even TRY to explain how the bullet immunity for guests works, or how guests leave/enter the world, or even if it is 100% real or virtual...
It *could be* that the guests are put to sleep, drugged, and hooked up to a virtual super computer,
projecting them into the westworld. But that doesn't seem logical at all, because as said before guests can demolish the environment and hosts so that the company needs to physically needs to repair the robots...

This is sooooooo fucking STUPID, god I fucking HATE HOLLYWOOD SO MUCH.....
All this try hard, wannabe edgy mystery bullshit, aiming purely at a high mindfuck score for the ending, while leaving everthing else unanswered, every problem ignored,
and all because they are simply too FUCKING LAZY a bunch of writers to work it out!

So much potential, all gone.
I'll be back when this season ends, with a "told you so".
God I'm so fucking mad at this shit....

"Im smartest. Your stoped. Dael wiht it."
Last bumped on Dec 15, 2016, 1:26:28 AM
Production value is good, Anthony Hopkins and Ed Harris are among my favorite actors, there are quite a lot of nonsensical plot elements which make suspension of disbelief a bit difficult...

But my major complaint would be how people are portrayed there as sick fucks, almost all of them. It is, firstly, unrealistic - there are all kinds of people and some are indeed sick fucks but the show seems to want to tell me almost everyone is, which I find difficult to believe. The other problem is the general atmosphere of the show, which is related to the first problem - it's dark and unpleasant to watch.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
I found the first 2 episodes of westworld to be miles above any of the standard network tv formulaic bullshit. That alone is enough to garner some interest. But beyond that, the acting is good, the atmosphere is fantastic, and the cinematography is awesome.
As for the plot, it definitely has more potential than virtually anything on tv today via delving into AI and the moral considerations of conscious beings. Will it achieve such lofty goals? It remains to be seen.

Really i dont see whats not to like about the show. Perhaps if you are in a bad mood going into a show, your hormones will force your perspective to be negative.

Quantume, 'edgy' is not a proper property used to evaluate anything. 'edgy' is merely a linguistic tool such as 'shit' used to inject negativity into the subject.
As for the similarities to jurassic park; anything can be abstracted to be similar to previously existing things. Oh look there is a villain, how original...golf clap. Oh look there is drama/ comedy/ whatever, how original...golf clap. Your narrowmindedness into not recognizing this compounded by the overall hate you seem to ooze leads me to really dislike your post and your entire view.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Space odyssey 2001 was "Pushing the envelope",
"Unorthodox", "Artistic" when it came out.
That's what I meant with "edgy".

I don't know for 100% sure what's going to happen in WW, but I bet it will not satisfy me, by leaving all the questions unanswered. Establishing a solid frame about the universe allows for strong immersion, since the viewer knows what is possible and what not.
If you fail to follow up and never give any answers, you will lose the viewer,
as has happened to me in WW, I'm slipping hard.

You know why kids are horrible story tellers?
Because their imagination runs wild, they have little if any knowledge about reality,
and fail to come up with credible scenarios.

A good mystery allows you to keep guessing,
a bad mystery makes you shout out in frustration: "This isn't even POSSIBLE!".

The WW universe for all I know, is realistic. No magic, no fantasy elements, with a technology level of within 50-100 years from now.
If a show with this setting still makes me stop every 5 minutes with a "but how... but why... but when... but what...", it is simply bad, as in cheap writing that skipped all the frame work, pulling only on emotional strings, which it fails at, since how could I care unless I know what matters?
And nothing matters until someone has set the rules down.

For all I know they could ALL be in a matrix simulation right now.
So, till they manage to properly establish certain ground rules for this universe, I won't give a shit what happens in it. Guest or host, their roles might be reversed, doesn't matter, don't care, CAN'T CARE, not at this point.
Quantume, sounds like disillusionment after initial overhype to me :)
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
3rd episode.

Now they established that (only the host?) guns are high tech,
which can be controlled (jammed) remotely from the main control room.

Same with guest guns? Do they have selective bullets so that the gun FUCK THIS IS SOOOOOO STUPID....
Does the gun have a fucking camera that scans the target, then loads a blank or live bullet before it fires?? Obviously all guests so far had 100% live ammo and made REAL physical damage to hosts and the surroundings... so what is stopping them from accidentially shooting another real human guest??

Also, the distances they travel in the heat, drinking water, food getting spoiled, etc...
None of these issues are addressed...

The flora and fauna, all real or fake?
We saw flies on a corpse, are those real? Don't recall seeing any birds.
Do they have some high tech sonar beams around the park to keep real birds and other animals out?
So... insects can just keep multiplying without anything eating them?
Is there any closed custom ecosystem or not? How does it work?

I simply can't watch this anymore without screaming at the screen:
THERE ARE TOO MANY QUESTIONS and it's impossible to get invested in any of the characters
(of which whom knows are real or robots [plot twists inc]).....

Jesus let me punch the writers in the face, PLEASE!!
What the fuck is going on with this show....

A thought, if it bothers you this much, stop watching it. Or pay closer attention to it, because it seems like you are missing most of the subtlety of the show.
HAIL SATAN!
"
tramshed wrote:
A thought, if it bothers you this much, stop watching it. Or pay closer attention to it, because it seems like you are missing most of the subtlety of the show.

Such as?
"
Quantume wrote:
"
tramshed wrote:

Such as?
Such as nanobots subtly controlling insect population :D :D :D
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
silumit wrote:
"
Quantume wrote:
"
tramshed wrote:

Such as?
Such as nanobots subtly controlling insect population :D :D :D

Silly me.... of course, technology is so advanced that everything is on a nanolevel.
Like bullets, which only stay solid if fired at hosts, and when fired at guests they turn into dust.
Though I write this with a really smug and sarcastic tone, this could actually be the case.

Btw, why are people even going to such a park?
If you can have 99% life like realistic androids with such smooth movements, grace, A.I., etc.,
why not just buy one as a partner or have them irl around everywhere??

One male guest said something like the trip costs him 60k??
Did you see how insanely huge that park is, can you imagine the material/maintenance costs??

The writers REALLY need to pull a magic stunt to convince me with a ending that satisfies all my questions. This does not look good AT ALL...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info