Widespread DNS outages this morning

In case you didn't know, earlier this morning, at approx. 2am MST, there were widespread dns outages affecting a large portion of the U.S. (coast to coast). This lasted approx. 3 hours and was not limited to ISP's.

Additionally, google's own public DNS servers were affected. (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

Does anyone have ANY information as to what caused this?

Why aren't more people talking about this? Seems like a big deal to me.

If you want to verify this for yourselves, go here: http://downdetector.com/status/ and plug in just about any large named business/site and you can see the graph spikes at 2am MST.

Some of the services/sites/orgs affected: youtube, google, level3, comcast, twitch, amazon, battle net, netflix, yahoo, xbox live, uplay, steam, itunes, CNN, reddit
Last edited by Darkfyre on Oct 11, 2016, 11:40:32 AM
Last bumped on Oct 26, 2016, 3:10:13 PM
probably because it was 2 am on a week day, virtually no fucker would be up until after it was over
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
I'll find out soon
anything is everything
Didnt this happen last week or so? thought it was due to solar flares
Oblivious
"
Darkfyre wrote:
In case you didn't know, earlier this morning, at approx. 2am MST, there were widespread dns outages affecting a large portion of the U.S. (coast to coast). This lasted approx. 3 hours and was not limited to ISP's.

Additionally, google's own public DNS servers were affected. (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

Does anyone have ANY information as to what caused this?

Why aren't more people talking about this? Seems like a big deal to me.

If you want to verify this for yourselves, go here: http://downdetector.com/status/ and plug in just about any large named business/site and you can see the graph spikes at 2am MST.

Some of the services/sites/orgs affected: youtube, google, level3, comcast, twitch, amazon, battle net, netflix, yahoo, xbox live, uplay, steam, itunes, CNN, reddit

[update] - the bad news... this thread is Google's top search result for "widespread DNS outages". They are on to us! If you hear a series of Groundslams or Flameblasts outside, don't open the door! (And stay away from any bus lines)

My top three conspiracy guesses:

NSA activating Democratic Defcon 9 stuff?

Foreign nation state hackers - China or Russia?

Poor transition of root DNS control?

In any case, the internet was originally set up just to avoid this sort of thing, and it shouldn't be happening. Our national cyber "security" is on par with our border "security".

As to my top conspiracy - the NSA doing nefarious things - I'd say that they really, really, REALLY want to make sure Hillary's Yoga emails don't surface. So far, they haven't which is good because collusion with Richard Simmons on a dance routine might be the final straw for voters

On a serious note, unless you have some obscure hard drive and CPU, you (and me and just about everyone else) is wide open to the right signals.

On an unrelated note, the Trump camp needs to be quiet about the "T" word (treason) - at least until they are in office. With all the guilty consciences out there, people are liable to do some crazy stuff if they think it will help them avoid prison or worse. The fact that it would likely never go that far isn't part of their mindset. As longtime criminals and conspirators, they think along those lines.

It will be interesting to see what sites don't function properly over the next 28 days.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Oct 11, 2016, 7:27:19 PM
So that's why I froze in the middle of a zana mission and lost a map earlier this morning!Everything had been running smoothly before.

I knew it was my internet, because all my modem lights stopped flashing and just turned into solid lights. I just didn't know what was up.

Also, to answer who would be awake that early and doing shit: 11-7 workers like myself.

After everything that's been released concerning Shillary's willingness to buy out and/or silence things, I wouldn't be surprised if some ally of her Super PAC was part of the DNS systems that went down.
Bring back race seasons.
eh, if you wanna talk theories as to why this happened, here are mine (in order of likeliness):

1) random hacker group
2) accident/misconfigured dns server
3) foreign attack
It happened again!

This time, though, someone other than me actually noticed and reported on it.

http://www.anonews.co/internet-ddos/
It's gotta be the Americans.
Censored.
My ISP found a way to block torrents yesterday. I get less than 1k download speed now:(
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info