Why do most new video games suck?

the reason most games suck today was mentioned in a previous post. it has to do with the fact that companies exist for business and the businesses with the most profits have the biggest/widest audiences. this means that most companies will aim for the vast market rather than a niche.

if you want to find niche games, you have to go indie since indie devs are more willing to take risks.

same thing with books, movies, food, clothing, phones, music... pretty much everything that a human can consume... most products are aimed to take over the world and not serve personal interests.

this is a depressing fact... but once you learn to accept it... you just deal with it and stick to poe or whatever other indie game you may like.
"
bl00dengel wrote:
the reason most games suck today was mentioned in a previous post. it has to do with the fact that companies exist for business and the businesses with the most profits have the biggest/widest audiences. this means that most companies will aim for the vast market rather than a niche.
Revenue isn't the same thing as profit. Today a game by a AAA punisher might sell 3 million copies of a game and still consider it a failure... because it cost more than, say, $90 million to make. The decision to go big on budget causes a need for a massive audience.

The question is: could they spend a third as much - $30 million - each on three games, and sell 1 million copies each, or more? And so on, for smaller and smaller budgets. I think the answer to that is a resounding "yes."
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
Poutsos wrote:

Diablo was great for it's time but Dark Souls does everything in the Action part better. And even in atmosphere.

I don't know how you can even compare the two. Maybe you find the action part of DS better just because you prefer combats where gear doesn't matter as much and almost everything about the game is mechanical (almost no RNG, no gear checks etc.) ? If Diablo was going that way it would not be Diablo anymore, same for PoE. It's a matter of design choice in my opinion, not of improvement.
IGN : @Morgoth
Last edited by Morgoth2356 on Oct 12, 2016, 7:51:40 AM
I did some research into production costs. I'm not really into business or economy, but the logic and trends seem to be showing:

Graphics murder the budget. Art is inefficient to make on a computer at this point in time. The only way I can see this improving, is if developers could purchase a license to a library of art.

Marketing needs to be carefully managed. The law of good marketing is advertisements should be profitable. In my opinion, big business is spending way too much on marketing. They are consistently spending more money than they make.

I guess this is why I claim "modern games suck". I'm looking for game play and frugality in a world ruled by hype, money, and vanity.
I have a theory. This applies to all media (not just games).

I've been noticing a trend gradually increasing throughout my life time (from before the time of the Internet, to long afterward).

I believe that the interconnectedness of the modern world (through the Internet) is having a gradual homoginization effect on all media and ideas. I also think that we are gradually becoming more a culture of consumption than one of creation - also due to the effect of having easy access to all the media of the world and not having to create anything for ourselves to entertain ourselves. Why do something yourself? You can just look for something that someone else has already done on the Internet. It's easier, quicker.
"
Poutsos wrote:
I grew up with Baldur's Gate, but Pillars of eternity, nostalgia aside is just as good or better.

Both BG games with AI mod are way better.

"
Poutsos wrote:
Diablo was great for it's time but Dark Souls does everything in the Action part better.

Ofc it does, DS is an action game with RPG elements. Diablo is all about grinding. But PoE is similar and superior imo.

"
Poutsos wrote:
Games are only getting better.

Not true for all genres. Modded doom 2 is still the best single player shooter imo.
"
Poutsos wrote:

Games are only getting better.

No.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU
Last edited by Darkfyre on Oct 12, 2016, 4:22:57 PM
I have a theory about that,

Videos games is an industry, and like every industry it is influenced by the biggest companies taking part in the industry. Every moves they makes become a standard.

in the 90s and early 2000s the most influencals companies were: Nintendo, Squaresoft, Blizzard, Capcom and Komani.

Those companies made games of qualities, lot of improvements to the industry and they tried to reinvent themselves ever year pushing their limits every game they were making. Those companies revolutionize the entire industry many times and in very good way.

Now today who are the biggest companies running the show?

EA, Activision, Ubisoft... and couple of other

And what they do?

Same game every year with little to no changement to the franchise, release broken or not finished game, sell a maximum of DLC and monetize every aspect of the game.

These actions influenced the industry, and these things became a bunch of new standard in the industry.
"
bl00dengel wrote:

if you want to find niche games, you have to go indie since indie devs are more willing to take risks.

same thing with books, movies, food, clothing, phones, music... pretty much everything that a human can consume... most products are aimed to take over the world and not serve personal interests.

this is a depressing fact... but once you learn to accept it... you just deal with it and stick to poe or whatever other indie game you may like.

yep.
AAA games cater to lowest common denominator. PC Games in particular, used to be developed for a more mature audience. and AAA games cost a lot to make, so big companies hate to take RISKS (you know, what creates real innovation) and rather minimize them with a familiar formula

as a result, the industry, especially AAA titles-wise, is stagnated like nothing else.
also, using nostalgia reason as to justify the hilarious statement that games are better nowadays, is silly
I can download a random 3-star rated game from GoG from the 1990s Ive never played before and it will be better than a polished AAA title released today. so stop the dumb 'nostalgia' argument

there is nothing about pillars that makes it better than baldurs gate, absolutely nothing.

there is TECHINCAL POWER to make games better nowadays. but its not PROFITABLE to do so.

why does the best AI in a shooter belong to a game that was released 11 (THATS ELEVEN) years ago (F.E.A.R.) ? why does half life black ops have better AI than 90% of modern shooter AI, when HL came out nearly 20 years ago ?

is it because people cant make good AI ? no, we have fucking cars driving themselves and complex shuttles in space.

its because its not worth it to make a complex AI for the lowest common denominator.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info