API : use, legal scope, documentation

I'm not sure where to post this, but I need some answers about the API before I go further in my projects.

Thanks to GGG, the API now exists and allow any willing dev to help the trade market, or get some stats on leagues/pvp/ladders.
I have a few ideas about projects using the API but I struggle to find resources.
Of course there is the official page, but it's succinct, probably voluntarily.

So, first, is there a API terms of use somewhere ?

I especially wonder about the monetization.
EvE Online has a legal scope about website that uses the API (see FAQ section on their developper resources page). You can't sell functionalities with real money (subscription with payment required), but can with in-game money, which is inapplicable in Path of Exile.
Another point from EvE API use is monetization must follow some rules. That's more applicable, and I'd like to know if GGG has stated on this.

Other questions are more about API functionalities :

Is there more than what is presented on API page, or does poe.trade parse endlessly and makes his own cooking on its side ?
One of my project wants something like 5% of the content the API returns, so, if there is a way to specify a restriction, that would spare a lot a resources on both sides.

And lastly, the visibility of API stuff :

I considered doing a shared bundle to help managing the API, but it might be over my motivation after all.
However, I planned to redact a tutorial or something to share what I've learn. That's a good way for me to understand a technology : being able to explain it.
But I don't know if that's allowed or recommended.

I'm not against the idea of signing something official, restricting the availability of the code, not sharing what I know about the API, or anything that would help my project and reassure GGG I'm not an evil RMT pawn or something <insert evil laugh>.

So, is there an official page I missed ? Are there some resources somewhere else (reddit ?) ? Should I send GGG an email ?

Thanks for the help :)

EDIT : as suggested, thread copied to reddit HERE
Last edited by Pulsahr on Sep 30, 2016, 5:19:39 AM
Last bumped on Oct 1, 2016, 4:51:49 AM
ask here https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexiledev/
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Thanks, I'll copy my post there.
1. Such things are outlined in our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. I guess you're looking for the restrictions which are outlined in section 6.

2. poe.trade and other parsers parse the entire river (or at least, since a specific change ID). There are currently no methods of filtering out data.

3. You're welcome to share your experiences with handling the API, I should really see about getting a tool section added to the forums at some point...

You're welcome to send me a PM/Email at any time (or to support or something, the emails get forwarded on to the right people eventually). I would like to mention however, that usually our time is stretched quite thin as it is and a lot of things that seem simple would actually take a lot of development time away from more important tasks. No matter how awesome things like filtering the stash API may be ;).
Web DeveloperView our Developer Docs
Thank you for taking time to answer my questions !

As a developper, I understand that something that looks simple to add might be a time sink task once you get into the code, and the time required is preferred to be focused elsewhere. I'll learn to deal with the whole river then, no problem.

According to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, and your answer on point 3, I understand I can share any tutorial or code regarding my use of the API.
Well then I have my answers, no excuses now, let's get to work !

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info