Are the changes GGG has implemented encouraging Temp Leagues, or Discouraging them?

Looking for open discussion, though I am sure it will devolve into typical crying/complaining on one hand, and elitism on the other. But what the hey, lets give it a shot.

Three major changes (edit: and one old nuisance) in the past 6 months or so have affected my perspective adversely of Temp leagues, and driven me to play STD after about 2 weeks in Essence.

1) The Atlas mapping system. Grinding out the atlas each league is simply going to become tedious and burdensome. I got 50/125 in Essence. I had to purchase about 40 of those. I never had to trade for maps in any other league. I personally dont find this to be "fun". And I cant see myself enjoying unlocking the entire atlas over and over again every league. I think I am 89/125 on Std. Will continue to plug away there and then be done with it.

2) Trials/Labs. I like many do not enjoy traps/trials etc. Having to go through these every league is again burdensome and not fun.

3) Exp nerfing. Discourages me from rolling new characters and dread hitting the high level fear of a death causing me to lose an hour or more of time investment.

4) Master leveling - again just burdensome to do over and over. While not a change, it is a grind that keeps me away from temp leagues.

Thoughts?

Maybe
Last edited by Deliverme on Sep 28, 2016, 11:01:52 AM
Last bumped on Oct 2, 2016, 7:37:57 PM
I have grown to accept the constant master levelling, trials etc. that comes with leagues. The Atlas however is the first thing that really makes me question what I will do in future leagues, if they do not change anything. I would hope that the quantity of feedback posted will not be ignored and they will look into Atlas progression, especially the early mapping progression and the huge limitations from connected map drops.

Not everyone had the same situation, but I know for myself, I was up to about T8 on the right side of the tree and barely at T3/T4 on the left side. I was chain running low level maps on the left side in the hopes of getting connected map drops and it just doesn't happen enough. I resorted to trading for 60% of the maps past T4 (up to T11 right now and can't sustain T9 somehow). If I have to do that every league, I'm staying in standard or not playing entirely. I've never been as limited in my mapping experience as this league. Yes I might eventually reach a higher sustainable tier than prior leagues, but the way to get there is taking all the fun from it for me.
"
Namcap wrote:
I have grown to accept the constant master levelling, trials etc. that comes with leagues. The Atlas however is the first thing that really makes me question what I will do in future leagues, if they do not change anything. I would hope that the quantity of feedback posted will not be ignored and they will look into Atlas progression, especially the early mapping progression and the huge limitations from connected map drops.

Not everyone had the same situation, but I know for myself, I was up to about T8 on the right side of the tree and barely at T3/T4 on the left side. I was chain running low level maps on the left side in the hopes of getting connected map drops and it just doesn't happen enough. I resorted to trading for 60% of the maps past T4 (up to T11 right now and can't sustain T9 somehow). If I have to do that every league, I'm staying in standard or not playing entirely. I've never been as limited in my mapping experience as this league. Yes I might eventually reach a higher sustainable tier than prior leagues, but the way to get there is taking all the fun from it for me.

My mapping experience was similar, but a bit more limited even. Up through T8/T9 before I threw in the towel and just committed myself to standard (shame - I like the essences). I honestly maybe had 4 maps drop that were locked. I.e., I had to trade for the VAST majority of maps the first time I ran them.

I took this league off. So there's one data-point.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

Would you mind sharing why you did?
It makes sense from a certain point of view, each new league is a "new world" with "new rules" e.g. Prophecy, etc.

That being said, it's not fun spending 1.5 hours each day grinding masters. Prophecy was my first league and I managed to get them to 7 without too much effort. I'll grind them this league to 8 so that they transfer over to standard when the league ends, but it's very tedious and I've decided for myself to quit leveling masters after 7 on future leagues (cept Zana).

The trials themselves aren't too bad; you can do all 18 (Normal - Merc) relatively quickly if you skip them until Act 4 Merc. I personally didn't do lab until lvl 65, as my main focus was grinding levels. The uber trials do take longer, but can be done within one or two days.

As far as the maps, do you chisel / alch them? I've managed to get to 75+ on atlas without having to trade and am starting now since it's difficult to get the maps I need.

From my point of view, the trials are ok as they are. You can do all the trials from normal to merc within a few hours, the uber ones might take a bit longer, but most people share. This is ok in my opinion because they are ONE TIME events per Act.

What really bugs me is master grinding, as it is almost impossible to get the rep you need by yourself in a realistically short amount of time. 6 man ROTA's cost about 1.5 hours EACH DAY, which adds up over time. It's realistically possible to do all trials in a day, it's almost impossible to get a master to level 8 in one day if you don't have hundreds of people carrying you.

My suggestion to GGG for masters is to make the initial mission mandatory and after that the levels increase as you increase. For example, end of Normal you can have max level 3, end of Cruel max level 5, end of Merc level 7, and somewhere in the maps you unlock level 8. It'd be nice if these were not restricted to once (or one ROTA) per day.

Can someone explain the XP nerf to me? I can't find it.
Character limit of 300 characters exceeded
Content can not exceed 5 lines in length
Last edited by Darksagex on Sep 28, 2016, 10:36:10 AM
let me start off by saying that the game has improved significantly, and i find the added content as a massive positive.

that being said, it absolutely discourages temporary leagues. there is too much large permanent content that anybody that is halfway casual will never complete in a leagues time. large permanent content is great and it is a big bonus to the game as a whole but for temp leagues i feel like its very contradictory
"
Deliverme wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

Would you mind sharing why you did?

Likewise. In my case, the reasons are:

1) Essence offers nothing that I care about. Crafting is garbage, and I'm tired of the whole idea of leagues. Frankly, I think the league system needs to either go away or go back to what it originally was: A beta environment for new content. After Talisman and Perandus were abandoned, I started to chafe at the idea of leagues. Factoring in the "OMG MUST HAVE" league-only uniques, and it felt more and more like a transparent attempt to boost up login counts for a month.

2) I wanted to continue refining abandoned characters. I've never has much success in higher levels, but in Prophecy I ended up with a character that went farther than ever before. So when Atlas was announced, I saw no reason to start from scratch and wait to get into the new content when I had a viable mapper on hand.

3) Post-Atlas, I can't see myself doing leagues anymore. I never liked them to begin with, but the idea of having to do masters, lab trials, 12 (or even the upcoming 10) acts, and then fill out the atlas in 3 months...I'm sorry, but I have a job and other shit to do. I can't and won't dedicate that much time to this game.

4) I'm honestly getting sick of PoE anyways. Towards the tail end of Prophecy I was basically forcing myself to keep going because of the "time limit" mentality that leagues put on you. I don't want to deal with that shit anymore.

5) My stash is fucked enough as is, thank you.
This is a buff™
Last edited by AkuTenshiiZero on Sep 28, 2016, 10:57:42 AM
the temp leagues are definitely dead imao .... just made for the no-lifer since the unreasonable xp nerf.....and that way u have to grind maps via the atlas....wat a pitty !!!!!

have fun
learning is a painful process ... knowledge is the most deadly weapon.
Problem with temp leagues that they are great if you are a new player starting out.

They are horrible for people who already done an ladder before or have a preestablished account, since there is metric shit tons of extra backtracking to do a ladder.

Should do like a 1/2 week system where shit like master levels progress/lab trials/ect transfer over to the ladder scene.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info