My First Day of Path of Exile

I love posts like this, it will be interesting to see how you still feel after you've played PoE for a while. Don't be quick to judge the marriage when you're still on the honeymoon.

Welcome to Wraeclast, enjoy your stay ;)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give moar Power Creep Pls

OP, I'm not trying to be mean, but paragon 900 in Diablo is nothing compared to the grind in this game. I am nearly paragon 1600 in D3 (so I have an idea of the time required) and after about 5 months of grind in this game I don't have a single character over level 95, and I don't have a single mirror worthy item. The grind is unreal in this game, especially since there are so many random things that can one shot you and dying sets you back hours or even days.

Also, again not trying to be mean, but your skill tree needs to start picking up way more life and/or energy shield nodes or you'll arrive in late cruel to a character that becomes a bloody mist upon encountering any of the more difficult monsters.

Welcome to Wraeclast. She can be a harsh mistress so don't dive in without reading the wiki.
Last edited by MeWhenum on Sep 28, 2016, 12:30:58 AM
People grossly overstate how difficult the game is.

In-game trade chat is quite straining on the eyes though. I definitely agree with most there.

Like someone said above me, just read the wiki for standard facts, and use poe.trade to find better gear, unless you want to play self-found, which is fun in it's own regard, and honestly, I'd suggest towards this type of game-play if you want to prolong your poe experience.

As you've noticed glass cannons don't work particularly well in poe.

In Cruel and Merciless difficulties you will start experiencing the death penalty, which is a loss of experience. 5% and 10% respectively. So defenses are a necessity later on.

As suggested by others, you'll most likely want to work on your defensive applications shortly.

In my experience, it's best to go for flat percentages in your defensive structure.
Don't use dodge as your main form of defense. You can use it to buff your over-all defense, but don't rely on it as a form of mitigation.

Beyond some of the simpler suggestions, just have fun.
For the most part the forums are fairly helpful, but keep a light heart, and don't engage in a flame war. :P Nobody wins.

I don't agree with the others on using someone else's build though.
I have personally never needed to use other's builds to have fun, or get far in the game.
Most of the time the builds on the forums are outdated, not well thought out or require very specific gear requirements, which depending on the popularity of the builds will increase the prices of those items required for the build to work.

Altogether I don't suggest to follow a guide for the above reasons, and you'll learn much more about the game if you create your own builds, and learn from your past characters and experience.

TL:DR
Have fun.

I'd love to see progress updates as well. :]

-- Edit
And if you need more stash tabs, GGG does a sale on them every 1-2 months.
I highly suggest checking the main page for the daily sales until it comes back around.
I also highly recommend the "currency stash tab", at any price. It's 100% worth it.
Xikini's simple loot filter.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1741538
Last edited by Xikini on Sep 28, 2016, 2:59:41 AM
I've been playing for 4 years and still freaking love this everything about this game. Don't be let down by complaints on the forums, a typical player of this genre wants everything quick and easy, and it's the majority of complaints here.

You are right, this game is absolutely enormous compared to D3 or even other games. It has content for thousands of hours. I still love every playthrough from normal to merciless, I still love the story and quests every time I level a new character.

As others suggested, go to your class subforum here and find a build guide you like, if you want your first character to succeed. I however would recommend to just experience the game by yourself on your first character, just progress however you like and see everything for yourself. After that, you can start another character and follow one of many builds. Rerolling is absolutely part of this game, contrary to D3 where you have one character for any past or future builds.
IGN: Iworkeout
"
Kinulsa wrote:
I came from Diablo 3. 962 Paragon Level. I found out about POE a while back, but was too hooked on Diablo to play it. Today I decided to change that. I have to say I am absolutely impressed by the game and how much more "big" it is compared to Diablo. Just from the maps alone and the quests it felt enormous. I felt like by the time I completed a map/quest in Act 3 I could have completed numerous of rift runs in Diablo. After reading some of the posts in this forum it just seems like nobody has anything good to say about the game. There is always somebody complaining about something. Trading seems to be the main thing people are complaining about. Honestly I don't see a problem with it. I think too many people are seeing this game as an MMO and want to just buy their items instead of doing the main core of the game to get them, which is to grind. Seriously, that is what keeps me playing games like this for so long. Spending hours and hours grinding for even just a couple percent stat change makes me feel so accomplished when I get the perfect gear piece for my set. Instead of complaining about the little things like this enjoy the genre for the grind mess that it is and stop trying to buy all the gear. Use trading for giving things to your friends or to somebody you think needs that extra piece you don't have. Also, hasn't it occurred to you that maybe..just maybe..GGG wants you to grind for your gear not just stare at an auction house all day to get the perfect set? Anyways stop complaining. People like me come to visit the community forums for the first time and see nothing but complaining. It is not very attractive.

Okay, so my first day of playing and I have made it to Act 4 as a Fire Witch.
In case you are interested in my stats and earnings here are some photos.

Spoiler

Stash Page 1
http://prntscr.com/cn6wku

Stash Page 2
http://prntscr.com/cn6wzx

My Gear Set (no gems)
http://prntscr.com/cn6x58

My Skill Tree
http://prntscr.com/cn6xbu

For my skills I decided to go the glass cannon route in the beginning, which I found out at the end boss of Act 3 that was not a good idea...Omg I think I died at least 30 times on that boss. It was so fun though lol. I wish there was a Death Counter on boss fights XD

Offensive Stats
http://prntscr.com/cn6xu6

Defensive Stats
http://prntscr.com/cn6xys

TLDR; I loved the game and being my first day of POE it won't be my last. Thanks GGG for some great entertainment. For the forum members. Stop being a bunch of complaining brats. Play the game. Grind. That is what the game was made for.

tell ya what , why dont YOU grind for a coupla years then tell us about the grind eh ?
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett :'(
I'm close to 10k hours at this game, I love it, i'ts the only game i play, but honestly when you play that much, you always find something wrong.
"This Is A Buff" (Bex_GGG august 30, 2016)
"
Kinulsa wrote:
"
Arrowneous wrote:
First, welcome to PoE and the land of Wraeclast. 2nd, your new player exuberance of PoE will eventually fade, especially when you take a build past level 80 and get bogged down in infinite map grinding to level up. After you have done that dozens of times then come back here and tell us that you are still have the same new player exuberance. I doubt you will. The map grind eventually takes it's toll on all players.

Considering how long it took to get past Paragon 900 in Diablo I don't think this grind will take its toll lol, but challenge accepted

Like 3 days? looool.

Prepare to play 2000 hours without finding a single T1 unique.
Last edited by NomadFX on Sep 28, 2016, 5:54:16 AM
Welcome in wraeclast, where your deaths will be many and rarely explainable.
Jokes aside, glad to see another person fight in this fierce land!
You don't really need a build from anyone else, developing (and failing) your own builds really helps to understand the game and the skill tree.
So go out there, level, grind, die, grow stronger and repeat!
PS: If you want to have some fun, link "Flame Dash" to a "Spell Totem Support". Makes my day everytime.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
Welcome to Wraeclast! Don't let others ruin your enthusiasm. I'm about 1400 hours in and to me it still doesn't feel worn out.
One thing you should definitely come to term with though: you will have to trade. In this game it is highly unlikely that you will be able to progres to the (very) end-game without trading.
"
Arrowneous wrote:
First, welcome to PoE and the land of Wraeclast. 2nd, your new player exuberance of PoE will eventually fade, especially when you take a build past level 80 and get bogged down in infinite map grinding to level up. After you have done that dozens of times then come back here and tell us that you still have the same exuberance as you have now as on day 1. I doubt you will. The map grind eventually takes it's toll on all players.
Hello fellow exile, I have have recently gotten bogged down in an infinite map grind to level up. I have done this dozens of times and I still have the same exuberance that I had from day one of playing this game.

Happy grinding, Metronomy.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info