Lets talk math, wtf am I missing?

6k HP marauder with 84% physical damage reduction (armor and end charges) and approx 550 hp/sec regen (without my 2% on hit from boots). I'm running a tier 11 map with Vulnerability and 60% less regen. When I have max end charges and I turn on Blood rage, I'm losing massive health just standing there. So lets do the math:

HP regen on this map: 550 * (1-0.6) = 220 hp/sec
HP loss from blood rage + vulnerability (assuming level 20?): (1-0.84) (my armor) * 0.04 (blood rage) * 6000 (HP) * 1.29 * 1.33 (increased physical and damage over time from the curse) = 67 hp loss/sec

So 220 - 67 = 153 hp regen/sec.

Am I missing something? Is the vulnerability curse on me like level 100? I seriously don't understand all the hidden stats behind this game. I can't do anything here at level 92 except get murdered by a boss that does physical damage just because I have 60% less regen and vulnerability on me, even tho I have 84% reduction. The blood rage hp loss makes no sense and I'm assuming whatever is making me lose health here is the same mechanic that allows me to get 2-shotted to death by the map boss? WTF IS HAPPENING?
Last edited by realmoney on Sep 27, 2016, 5:18:50 PM
Last bumped on Sep 28, 2016, 1:43:56 AM
Armour only applies to Hits, not Damage over Time.
Additionally, you don't have "84% PDR", but "estimated 84% PDR" - the higher Damage you take, the lower Armour's relative reduction is.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Sep 27, 2016, 5:30:15 PM
Armour only applies on Hits. Damage over Time does not Hit.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Additionally, you don't have "84% PDR", but "estimated 84% PDR" - the higher Damage you take, the lower Armour's relative reduction is.

Basically, only your e-charges will mitigate the damage from Blood Rage. There are other things, but armor doesn't apply.

So it's basically R (40% of your regen), multiplied by D (Blood Rage multiplied by your e-charge mitigation, which can be found in your "Charge" part of your character sheet), multiplied by C (Vulnerability curse).

Equation: R(D*C)
"
Natharias wrote:
"
Vipermagi wrote:

Basically, only your e-charges will mitigate the damage from Blood Rage. There are other things, but armor doesn't apply.

The Phys damage reduction from Endurance Charges is the same as from armour. "Physical damage reduction" only applies to hits. So endurance charges won't help against blood rage.
EDIT: This is all wrong. See below for details!

What you want is things that make you take less damage (eg: reduced phys damage taken or reduced damage over time taken, etc...) eg: Leo's DoT mod.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Sep 27, 2016, 8:39:01 PM
"
dudiobugtron wrote:
The Phys damage reduction from Endurance Charges is the same as from armour.

Nop. ECharges grant "Physical Damage Reduction", whilst Armour actually grants "Physical Damage Reduction from Hits", similar to how Fortify has the 'from Hits' line.
The Chaos Golem and Soul of Steel passives also apply, for example.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
dudiobugtron wrote:

Nop. ECharges grant "Physical Damage Reduction", whilst Armour actually grants "Physical Damage Reduction from Hits", similar to how Fortify has the 'from Hits' line.

Wow, that is really cool to know. Thanks Natharias and Vipermagi!

I guess Basalt Flask would be pretty useful too then.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
"
dudiobugtron wrote:
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
dudiobugtron wrote:

Wow, that is really cool to know. Thanks Natharias and Vipermagi!

I guess Basalt Flask would be pretty useful too then.

There's a reason why I've always been advocating e-charges over armor. And it's not because I'm wrong, stupid, or whatever some idiots on these forums would call me. It's also not because stacking armor on/from items is expensive and time consuming. It's because e-charges provide flat mitigation across the board, two ways.

The most important is that it actually applies to things armor cannot.

The second, but just slightly less important, is that it mitigates all hits, of all damage levels, the same amount.

Thus, e-charges are reliable; armor is not. This is not saying armor is weaker, I'm only talking reliability and reliable cars aren't necessarily the best.
"
realmoney wrote:
6k HP marauder with 84% physical damage reduction (armor and end charges) and approx 550 hp/sec regen (without my 2% on hit from boots). I'm running a tier 11 map with Vulnerability and 60% less regen. When I have max end charges and I turn on Blood rage, I'm losing massive health just standing there. So lets do the math:

HP regen on this map: 550 * (1-0.6) = 220 hp/sec
HP loss from blood rage + vulnerability (assuming level 20?): (1-0.84) (my armor) * 0.04 (blood rage) * 6000 (HP) * 1.29 * 1.33 (increased physical and damage over time from the curse) = 67 hp loss/sec

So 220 - 67 = 153 hp regen/sec.

Am I missing something? Is the vulnerability curse on me like level 100? I seriously don't understand all the hidden stats behind this game. I can't do anything here at level 92 except get murdered by a boss that does physical damage just because I have 60% less regen and vulnerability on me, even tho I have 84% reduction. The blood rage hp loss makes no sense and I'm assuming whatever is making me lose health here is the same mechanic that allows me to get 2-shotted to death by the map boss? WTF IS HAPPENING?

is the lvl 92 character in question a Berserker by any chance? and one with 40% more damage / 10% increased damage taken node? is he wearing Abyssus?

the 'Estimated Phys Reduction' is just that - an estimation (rarely reliable). what is reliable is the Endurance Charge bonus and various numbers listed on the skill(s) - like Blood Rage degen etc.

note: i agree that some data is missing and shouldnt be (like what lvl the curse in question is..)
@realmoney: to add to the discussion, the rule of thumb with armour is - if something hits you for a certain amount of damage, you need ten times as much armour to mitigate 50% of the hit. If you get hit with 1000 phys dmg, you need 10k armour to mitigate it by half. If you get hit with 5k phys damage, you need 50k armour. Hits with 5k phys damage aren't unheard of in high-tier content.

What you see in your 'phys dmg reduction' tooltip is your expected phs damage reduction against an average monster of your level... which doesn't account for bonestalkers, zombies, avian retches, devourers, vaal fallen and so on, not to mention crits and magic and rare monsters with damage mods.

This doesn't render armour completely useless, it just means you have to combine it with other defensive mechanisms just like evasion and dodge. Stack it with endurance charges, fortify, lightning coil, arctic armour, flasks and so on and it does make a difference. Rely on armour only and you'll have a problem.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info