Who exacly thought that nerfing EXP gain is a good idea?

"
brunowa wrote:
You missed the point of my question.

GGG has provided a game and defined the rules. Ultimately, you have to play within those rules. So why complain about them?

I completely understand GGGs point of view. It's about providing an experience that never reaches completion (or should never reach completion hence the grind).

Its also psychological. Hence my question to OP. By having an open loop as such it makes people feel like they need to keep going to get closure.

It makes total sense. The thing is, as a player, you always have a choice as to what you want to do with the game, as long as it's within the rules of the game.

When the goal of playing any arpg keeps changing then the incentive to want to keep playing is dimished or lost entirely (time to quit). Set aside the fact that as a casual player I will never play long enough to reach level 100. If the final goal keeps moving further and further away as GGG nerfs 95+ exp (100s more map runs required to level up) then it feels exactly as restinpieces0815 said "nerfing exp is still a mental kick in the groin and doesn't really motivate normal players to play at all."

When GGG should be doing things to reward dedicated playing (continuous map grinding to level up) such as having as the example I stated of a goal to level a build in all 7 classes to 100 in a challenge league but instead nerfs exp and forces a racer to have to grind more maps to reach level 100, that is a very large negative incentive game rule.

That's the whole point of our discussion. I completely disagree with GGG's choice of increasing the time for a hardcore racer to get to 100 (even though I know that's not in my PoE playing future). As I said honey is better than vinegar and GGG's choice to nerf exp more for levels 95+ is just another souring of our desire to grind maps. We all wish GGG would code other fun things to do after finishing the core game play 3 times but since they have not done so the endgame is still just map grinding for exp to level up so for GGG to indirectly tell us "we don't want you to get to level 100 so you had better quit now" with the latest exp nerf it is most definitely an insane way for a game company to treat their players. So GGG nerfs exp, we see that as another "way am I grinding/slaving maps... the goalpost has just been moved further away again... fuck this shit", and take another emotional critical hit. Many more players will quit. Is that what GGG wants us to do? I seriously doubt it.

As you stated "GGG has provided a game and defined the rules. Ultimately, you have to play within those rules." This is true but when the rules don't foster and encourage us to want to play a build past level 90 (and now maybe not even that high) then there is some very wrong thinking going on here. GGG is currently on a course of poisoning any desire to play the map grind endgame. This is what we all should be complaining about.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Sep 28, 2016, 8:09:24 AM
"
Arrowneous wrote:
This is true but when the rules don't foster and encourage us to want to play a build past level 90 (and now maybe not even that high) then there is some very wrong thinking going on here. GGG is currently on a course of poisoning any desire to play the map grind endgame. This is what we all should be complaining about.

This is an excellent point. Looking at myself, in this league I've rerolled more than usual, got 4 chars around 60s to low 80s. Normally at this point I'd be done with my first build (to accumulate stuff) and would be well on the way on the Real Char, grinding mid-tier maps pushing 90+. This just isn't happening now, simply because I don't feel it. I find the league enjoyable, my chars are all good, the Atlas and new maps are fun and all.. The leveling feels off though, already in the low 80s. It's like you say, I've lost the desire to do the endgame grind because it feels too steep. I've plenty 90+ characters in Standard and playing them now feels like treading water.

I don't like this at all and it's rapidly killing the game for me.
Hate the new exp values.Never had the problem get too 90+ .

Now i feel like going above 85+ is a chore.

Honestly its killing the game for me.
Last edited by spurga123 on Sep 28, 2016, 5:39:54 PM
"
spurga123 wrote:
Hate the new exp values.Never had the problem get too 90+ .

Now i feel like going above 85+ is a chore.

Honestly its killing the game for me.

The new XP values only apply to 95+... so ye you are just tired of the game.. no nerf happend to 80-90 XP
Current Builds:
All in one Thread until i make new Guides
poeurl.com/c4vT
The slow grind to 100 is another borrowed concept from D2 and is another thing that holds this game back. It kind of worked in D2 because there was nothing else to do. There wasn't a lot of tough bosses to go up against or challenges to go through.

This game has the potential to do something else yet they just stuck this in there. The biggest strength this game has is its character building. With a ton of uniques, skill gems, ascendancy classes, and passive skill tree.. you can really min/max a ton of interesting characters. You should be able to take that character to the end game, progress through maps leveling up to 100. Acquiring more items and leveling up gems with quality. Coloring and linking up your gear.

Then tackle the hardest content. Guardians, Shaper, Atziri/Uber, etc.. by defeating these kind of enemies. You have proven that your character build was capable of tackling every challenge PoE has. At this point, you can mess around with this character. Or reroll into a new character to attempt these challenges again.

Current system, you can defeat these bosses with a well planned build but still be around the 90s. With nothing more to do at that point then to press through map after map. Running maps over and over doesn't prove anything other then you had time on hand. It's not a challenge to get to 100. It's a chore, a task, a job, w/e you want to call it.
... it seems GGG's true intent is to bleed out their player base numbers so they can just retire???

i got a friend that was crazy about this game, and got me now crazy about it lol, and he's like "fuck that game"

- coc killed
- legacy mjolner RIP
- this crappy xp nerf crap
- other dumb decisions
Last edited by CaoMengde on Sep 29, 2016, 5:30:08 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info