Who exacly thought that nerfing EXP gain is a good idea?

"
Chaoticmess wrote:

Its not that hard to find out if a unqiue is valuable or not. I put its name into poe.trade and see a few thousand of them all selling for an alch or less. Most expensive unique i've had drop was around 1-2 chaos.

And that is how flippers get rich off other people's drops. Take some time to learn what's valuable with the right rolls, might prevent you selling something for 1c that's worth 1ex +
Last edited by RandallPOE on Sep 27, 2016, 6:21:47 PM
Yeah but i use that as a quick general guide, not a definitive authority! I do check via other means too! I just use poe.trade as a quick way to ensure i lose my excitement a new unique i haven't seen before is, as i now always suspect, a pile of shit before tossing it into my lower vaults where i'll do some extended research on it later after i've finished running through the maps i want to do for the day.
Last edited by Chaoticmess on Sep 27, 2016, 6:32:37 PM
Question to OP: What are you actually trying to achieve by getting to 100? A few extra skill points? Will that really define and change your character at that point in the game?

Is it just your mindset? You're fixated on 100 to "feel complete"?

HOW ON EARTH are these people lvl 90+ with ONLY 4 and 1 challenges completed???

Lets see...
Spoiler
- Kill 40 monsters bearing silver? Most certainly
- Kill these normal act bosses? It would be pretty hard to reach 90 without doing these
- Kill cruel act bosses? Again pretty hard to reach 90
- Kill 500 rare monsters? Pretty crazy to think someone would be 90 without achieving this.
- Level a gem to 20? Possible to avoid especially right at level 90, also by swapping gems... seems stupid tho
- Reach level 90? Duh

Theres 6 right there, 4 at minimum (would really have to go out of yur way not to get any others)

Spoiler
Like what level 90+ hasnt done merciless lab?
No hideout? I mean you could but its pretty useful and a great place to trade unless yur SSF

Thats 2 more right there.

I dont believe your post sir
"
brunowa wrote:
Question to OP: What are you actually trying to achieve by getting to 100? A few extra skill points? Will that really define and change your character at that point in the game?

A better question to ask is what GGG hopes to achieve by nerfing exp to the point that no one can get to level 100 in a challenge league? These are 3 month limited leagues and as such if GGG wasn't nerfing exp the challenge would be to see how many of the 7 character classes you could get to level 100 before the league ends. That would make for a worthy challenge to offer up to the elite racers. All GGG would need to do is place a group of high level grind worthy prizes for the player to choose from if he/she could advance a build in all 7 classes to level 100. The incentive for these uber racers would be to race 7 builds to level 100 in the 3 month league. It would be much better if GGG offered honey than vinegar to the top elite racers. A positive view of the endgame is much better than the approach GGG is currenty taking of punishing progress instead of rewarding progress. It's clear that punishing progress is leading to more top players quitting than doubling down on grinding. It's a shame GGG can't see and understand that biting the hand that feeds them is bad for business.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
GGG fails to realize that no matter what they do,

1) someone will break their game and find a way to beat everything effortlessly (see: wormblaster harvester build)

2) someone will always achieve everything there is to achieve way faster than they anticipate is possible

3) the people who do 1 and 2 will not quit for almost any reason.

When they nerf exp, they don't change anything for the top 0.1%, they just annoy the 99.9%, whose eventual goal is continually shifted further away. A moving goalpost is neither fun nor fair. The fact of the matter is that even if people aren't likely to ever reach 100, moving the goal even further away removes the sense of possibility; it is less likely that you can ever attain your goal; you've un-progressed. That is the single least fun feeling in a loot-based RPG. Even if people argue (probably correctly) that causals/moderates will never reach 100, nerfing exp is still a mental kick in the groin and doesn't really motivate normal players to play at all.
"
Arrowneous wrote:
"
brunowa wrote:

A better question to ask is what GGG hopes to achieve by nerfing exp to the point that no one can get to level 100 in a challenge league? These are 3 month limited leagues and as such if GGG wasn't nerfing exp the challenge would be to see how many of the 7 character classes you could get to level 100 before the league ends. That would make for a worthy challenge to offer up to the elite racers. All GGG would need to do is place a group of high level grind worthy prizes for the player to choose from if he/she could advance a build in all 7 classes to level 100. The incentive for these uber racers would be to race 7 builds to level 100 in the 3 month league. It would be much better if GGG offered honey than vinegar to the top elite racers. A positive view of the endgame is much better than the approach GGG is currenty taking of punishing progress instead of rewarding progress. It's clear that punishing progress is leading to more top players quitting than doubling down on grinding. It's a shame GGG can't see and understand that biting the hand that feeds them is bad for business.

You missed the point of my question.

GGG has provided a game and defined the rules. Ultimately, you have to play within those rules. So why complain about them?

I completely understand GGGs point of view. It's about providing an experience that never reaches completion (or should never reach completion hence the grind).

Its also psychological. Hence my question to OP. By having an open loop as such it makes people feel like they need to keep going to get closure.

It makes total sense. The thing is, as a player, you always have a choice as to what you want to do with the game, as long as it's within the rules of the game.
"
Bidoas wrote:
HOW ON EARTH are these people lvl 90+ with ONLY 4 and 1 challenges completed???

Lets see...
Spoiler
- Kill 40 monsters bearing silver? Most certainly
- Kill these normal act bosses? It would be pretty hard to reach 90 without doing these
- Kill cruel act bosses? Again pretty hard to reach 90
- Kill 500 rare monsters? Pretty crazy to think someone would be 90 without achieving this.
- Level a gem to 20? Possible to avoid especially right at level 90, also by swapping gems... seems stupid tho
- Reach level 90? Duh

Theres 6 right there, 4 at minimum (would really have to go out of yur way not to get any others)

Spoiler
Like what level 90+ hasnt done merciless lab?
No hideout? I mean you could but its pretty useful and a great place to trade unless yur SSF

Thats 2 more right there.

I dont believe your post sir

The lab achievement includes uber lab, not just merciless. And if a build is not planned carefully it won't do it even at 90.

Level 7 hideout can take a while and it's perfectly possible to not be done by 90. It's all RNG if you don't go to global 820. The challenge is to fully upgrade it, not just have it.
"
MeWhenum wrote:
GGG fails to realize that no matter what they do,

1) someone will break their game and find a way to beat everything effortlessly (see: wormblaster harvester build)

2) someone will always achieve everything there is to achieve way faster than they anticipate is possible

3) the people who do 1 and 2 will not quit for almost any reason.

When they nerf exp, they don't change anything for the top 0.1%, they just annoy the 99.9%, whose eventual goal is continually shifted further away. A moving goalpost is neither fun nor fair. The fact of the matter is that even if people aren't likely to ever reach 100, moving the goal even further away removes the sense of possibility; it is less likely that you can ever attain your goal; you've un-progressed. That is the single least fun feeling in a loot-based RPG. Even if people argue (probably correctly) that causals/moderates will never reach 100, nerfing exp is still a mental kick in the groin and doesn't really motivate normal players to play at all.

perfect description of the problem +1
"This is a Buff"
-------------------------------
There is an old almost forgotten prophecy, that hell will freeze over.
But we just recently discovered the true cause of this unlikely event:
By the time GGG manage to balance their game.
tba i would be fine with the exp rate if you didnt have to roll maps ..

what we have here right now is akin to leveling to 100 where you had to play a high rune every day for the privilege of farming throne of destruction .

and not some shitty pul rune either im talking Ist+

Last edited by Saltychipmunk on Sep 28, 2016, 7:30:32 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info