All dressed up with nowhere to go

(Not related to women cliffhanging you)

This seems to be the case in PoE ("lately"). You have a geared up character, ready for almost everything, but can't seem to build up your map pool. Hence; "nowhere to go", but under-level content - more than ready for the "next step".

I'm not one of those screaming "F**K GGG, bad game design" once I'm having trouble understanding a design choice. I can "happily" disagree with something, able to see the case from both sides. And I understand that GGG wants to "artificially" prolong their game with yet an other grinding obstacle, forcing us to use the tools at our disposal; trading, currency, party and so on.

But there isn't many "grinding games" out there, that gates on-level content in a similar way. I'm not sure I can think of any ARPG gating on-level content behind RNG/trading. Please feel free to inform me here.

What's the point of this thread? Well, I'm just curious: Is this mechanic something the community likes? Is it OK for you to be pushed down to under-level content every other map? And I'm asking everyone; the ones struggling to maintain a map pool, and those swimming in T14-16's.

Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last bumped on Sep 28, 2016, 6:49:29 PM
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 10:53:54 PM
"
Entropic_Fire wrote:
Maybe if you have this problem consistently you should invest more in your map pool instead of just focusing on your gear. You make it sound like a game balance problem when it's really your own resource allocation mistake.

I didn't even BEGIN to sum up MY view. Didn't write anything about MY map pool. I was trying to focus on the mechanic of RNG and content progression. And no matter how you "invest in your map pool", it's still RNG gated unless you trade. And that was a part of my question - are you fine with having to trade for on-level content?
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Yes....trading and player interaction are part of the game.....the question is why wouldn't I be ok with it?
I have done previous posts about gating high level content behind RNG, but now I realized I was wrong because I did not keep the correct path and because my faith was low. Recently I hit lvl 100 in the atlas and somehow clouds and darkness vanished, and I saw the light... look at my atlas

Then I run corrupted tier 13 maps and I got nice drops like

Also from tier14 maps

these drops have an important meaning, so I have the chance to go back for thanking all my past bosses, which of course is challenging for my tri-curse witch with only:

and

while mapping.

Thanks a lot!

P.S oh RNG I promise to be a nice fellow... please bless my drops.
"
Phrazz wrote:

I didn't even BEGIN to sum up MY view. Didn't write anything about MY map pool. I was trying to focus on the mechanic of RNG and content progression. And no matter how you "invest in your map pool", it's still RNG gated unless you trade. And that was a part of my question - are you fine with having to trade for on-level content?

I'm not fine with it, but I'm fine with GGG's decision to make it so. Totally convinced though that a more deterministic approach to not just mapping but the whole game would rake in tons of new players, without sacrificing any kind of challenges.

And I am a little disappointed that after Chris' remark that AoW would "completely change how we think about PoE's endgame" (or something like that) that totally didn't happen.
Maybe if you weren't so ENTITLED to higher maps, you'd clearly see the point.

Jk.

<3

Please don't hit me.

My personal opinion is that I think it's really shitty design to RNG gate so much, especially mapping progress. It's one of the things that really bugs me about this game, a room of devs high fiving each other because part of the player base struggles to get to Reds even. Yes, some of it is lack of knowledge of map rolling, but it's not like the game has any indication of how to do it, or any real tutorials that are in-house to help with that. There is an RNG factor though and people caught on the wrong end of it, as small as that sliver of the community is, I feel for them.

"
Jojas wrote:
"
Phrazz wrote:

I'm not fine with it, but I'm fine with GGG's decision to make it so. Totally convinced though that a more deterministic approach to not just mapping but the whole game would rake in tons of new players, without sacrificing any kind of challenges.

And I am a little disappointed that after Chris' remark that AoW would "completely change how we think about PoE's endgame" (or something like that) that totally didn't happen.

That comment was PR/hype BS which everyone should be used to by now imo. Endgame mapping basically didn't change, the only difference now is that you spend the first 1-3 days of the league sitting on poe.trade whispering people who aren't online or AFK to buy their maps so you can get credit for the Atlas. That must be what the expansion was, Atlas of Shitty 3rd Party Economy Simulator.

I do have an inkling that Map drops from bosses themselves got fucked pretty hard, but cannot confirm. To me I rarely see the +1 or +2 from Bosses anymore, and most of my drops are from the Map itself.

/shrug
Fake Temp League Elitists LUL
There seem to be two separate issues here, unlocking the atlas and maintaining your pool.

As for maintaining your pool, I feel that mitigating the RNG element of mapping is a skill that you have to acquire and for which you are appropriately rewarded.

As for unlocking the atlas in a new league, I'm a pure standard player, so don't know and don't care. (I had legacy t15s prepared and ran them asap)
"
Maybe if you weren't so ENTITLED to higher maps, you'd clearly see the point.

I lol'd :)

My views in ARPG is that party play should be a social choice, and not a requirement. Trading should be an advantage, but not a requirement. As map drops stand now, on of the two seems close to a requirement. But most of all, I miss some transparency from GGG on the matter: If they want trading or party play to be requirements, it's OK in my eyes - but come out and say so - don't go on pod casts and talk about how they want the difference between self found play and trading to be "small".

I'm OK with most things, as long as they're clear to everyone.
Trading isn't a requirement to hit high tier maps. The only requirement is knowing how to roll maps and doing content very often and consistently. I find the whole mapping system incredibly interesting, the idea that you not only have to manage your build and equipment, but also your ability to do content. If you approach the system as something to beat and conquer, rather than approaching it with preconceived notions of how something should work, it's quite fascinating how it works. The whole map system is very unlike anything else, I like it quite a lot. Unfortunately it's not very rewarding to the instant-gratification crowd because it's roots are based in statistics.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info