Casters need a way to leech mana other than relying on Warlord's Mark

Almost every caster is using warlord's mark, because no one wants to waste a link on the mana leech gem.
We need another way to leech mana on the passive tree, like those nodes Spirit/Vitality void nodes.
Last bumped on Sep 27, 2016, 7:39:11 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
lorem331 wrote:
Almost every caster is using warlord's mark, because no one wants to waste a link on the mana leech gem.
We need another way to leech mana on the passive tree, like those nodes Spirit/Vitality void nodes.

or you can open the passive tree and type 'mana' into the search box. think about it. mana is something you are expected to invest into. melee guys have it bit easier casters.. have to use few (~4?) points and some affixes on gear.

it isnt that hard. youll manage.
"
sidtherat wrote:
"
lorem331 wrote:

or you can open the passive tree and type 'mana' into the search box. think about it. mana is something you are expected to invest into. melee guys have it bit easier casters.. have to use few (~4?) points and some affixes on gear.

Not a very helpful, or useful reply mate. He's not quite wrong, tbh. Mana regen in endgame maps isn't quite as viable as it used to be. Too many frequent as well as rewarding map mods nerf regen/recovery into the ground.

Not saying his solution is the best, but casters do need an alternative for mana.
For try, for see, and for know.

This is a buff
there is an alternative to mana - blood magic

map mods are rewarding because they have a downside. why do you people want everything for free?

not a single one of my casters have mana issues - and in most cases it takes ~4 mana nodes and some thought when selecting rings for that mana/mana regen and thats it. i know that 4 passives == lots of damaga dakka but lets get real ok? premium stuff has premium prices. want cheap? less damage. unacceptable? tough.
"
Etherfire wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:
"
lorem331 wrote:

Not a very helpful, or useful reply mate. He's not quite wrong, tbh. Mana regen in endgame maps isn't quite as viable as it used to be. Too many frequent as well as rewarding map mods nerf regen/recovery into the ground.

Not saying his solution is the best, but casters do need an alternative for mana.

The map issue is good design, imo. You have to compromise (perhaps by swapping in a mana leech gem, or perhaps by swapping one of your support gems that has an especially harsh mana multiplier) in order to run those more rewarding maps.

Any aspect of the game that forces us to do this kind of thing encourages build diversity overall. Sidtherat's responses may not have been friendly (they rarely are), but they are essentially correct.
Wash your hands, Exile!
Last edited by gibbousmoon on Sep 25, 2016, 12:09:29 PM
4 Points?^^

One of the main reason I usually end up playing totems is that casting 3 times a second with a 120 Mana Spell is incredible expensive. Right now I have a total of 6 points invested in mana resulting in 35 Mana regenerated per second. Without Clarity or other Flat sources increasing mana reg is incredible hard.

Your total regeneration is 0,0175 x Total Mana x (1 + Inc. Manareg/100)

Lets assume you have 5k Mana. To reach 360 Mana reg you need about 300% increased mana regeneration. So investing in mana is mostly terrible if you need it for expensive spells. Of course only such powerful spells as Ball Lightning, Fireball or Ice Spear have such high mana costs, while weaker skills like Vortex need a lot less. (and yes I didn't include Bladefall for the expensive ones, becuase it would have made the irony less obvious).

And again that is pretty much the upper end of mana costs, which is hard to actually achieve, but you know what is also hard to achieve? 5.000 Mana and 300% increased mana reg for 4 skill points.

Btw.: Another small note. Guess how much mana you would need to sustain the same spell with Mana Leech? At least 1800. Because you would leech at 20% max. You even start out leeching only at 2% until you hit the enemy a few times (of course hitting multiple enemies works too). So against a boss you would need to hit 10 times before you reach full leach, so you might actually still need a flask or even more mana.
Casters have mana regeneration (depending on your tree), mana flask, clarity (gem), mana gained on hit jewels, mana gained on kill items/passives, and uniques/rares with high mana regen. Don't forget about curses, like Assassin Mark which provides mana on kill and damage.

There is also Ascendancy points for the Pathfinder, Trickster, and Hierophant that can regen mana.

Casters can get mana easily to be honest.
We're all just walkin' through this darkness on our own.
"
Emphasy wrote:
4 Points?^^

One of the main reason I usually end up playing totems is that casting 3 times a second with a 120 Mana Spell is incredible expensive. Right now I have a total of 6 points invested in mana resulting in 35 Mana regenerated per second. Without Clarity or other Flat sources increasing mana reg is incredible hard.

Your total regeneration is 0,0175 x Total Mana x (1 + Inc. Manareg/100)

Lets assume you have 5k Mana. To reach 360 Mana reg you need about 300% increased mana regeneration. So investing in mana is mostly terrible if you need it for expensive spells. Of course only such powerful spells as Ball Lightning, Fireball or Ice Spear have such high mana costs, while weaker skills like Vortex need a lot less. (and yes I didn't include Bladefall for the expensive ones, becuase it would have made the irony less obvious).

And again that is pretty much the upper end of mana costs, which is hard to actually achieve, but you know what is also hard to achieve? 5.000 Mana and 300% increased mana reg for 4 skill points.

Btw.: Another small note. Guess how much mana you would need to sustain the same spell with Mana Leech? At least 1800. Because you would leech at 20% max. You even start out leeching only at 2% until you hit the enemy a few times (of course hitting multiple enemies works too). So against a boss you would need to hit 10 times before you reach full leach, so you might actually still need a flask or even more mana.

No, 4 points alone is not enough. You also have to balance with gear, and everything else.

In any case, why do you dismiss clarity and flasks out of hand? They are in the game for a reason.
Wash your hands, Exile!
my ball lightning setup:

rest of the gear:
Spoiler

my ball lightning tree (not uber ascended yet, i havent played this char in months):

key to being mana efficient is understanding how Ball Lightning is (or should be as people have several ideas) scaled. i scale it as a DoT not as a on-hit spell and as such ignore cast speed. thus im not reaching unsustainable mana burn rate

my incinerate Templar uses %mana cost reduced nodes (to reach like 45% with jewels) so i can manage it even without eleron jewelry. there are tools. lots of tools to be used yet so many are ignored because the most visible ones are.. well.. the most visible?
Last edited by sidtherat on Sep 25, 2016, 12:19:20 PM
"
sidtherat wrote:
my ball lightning setup:

rest of the gear:
Spoiler

my ball lightning tree (not uber ascended yet, i havent played this char in months):

key to being mana efficient is understanding how Ball Lightning is (or should be as people have several ideas) scaled. i scale it as a DoT not as a on-hit spell and as such ignore cast speed. thus im not reaching unsustainable mana burn rate

my incinerate Templar uses %mana cost reduced nodes (to reach like 45% with jewels) so i can manage it even without eleron jewelry. there are tools. lots of tools to be used yet so many are ignored because the most visible ones are.. well.. the most visible?

Why do you have to be so condescending?
My point is not about getting things for free, it's about having more options for casters.
And why are you talking about ball lightning and DOT?
I am talking about casters in a general sense, not about ball lightning. There are some caster builds like fireball/freezing pulse that need to cast very fast, and these builds have trouble sustaining mana.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info