What do you prefer in D3 over PoE, and visa versa?

Bigger inventory (PoE inventory is cancer)
Some mechanics (like Whirlwind) are better than in PoE
Cinematics are pretty to look at

That's about it.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
D3
Endless Rifts. A way to compete besides i have zero life 100s here. Unlimited difficulty. Stable. difficulty slider.

PoE
Way more build diversity and far better itemization.
Git R Dun!
D3:

-Basically what has already been said. Looks flashy, contiguous gameplay and pretty neat build diversity (imo), although only a few builds are end-game capable.

-IMO, no real sense of accomplishment in acquiring gear.

POE:

-Complexity. Currently I am lvl 45 on Hardcore Essence, and this is the farthest I have progressed (in HC). The sense of accomplishment is REAL. It definitely takes application of knowledge, along with trial and error, to create a successful build.

-True Grit. This game's got it.
For me the only thing I think is better in d3 is the melee combat, though it was the same in d2. Being able to hold down the right mouse button until I get to an enemy then hit that enemy when they are in range is so much better. POE you can do it but the targeting is screwy and you will often stutter over stuff or miss completely and it will only let you run a short distance.

I am new to POE so I don't know the reasoning behind that decision but I just don't get it.
Path is the best arpg on the market today, even as an aging game - but Blizzard is difficult to top in PC gaming. Blizzard is a better company now than they were in the 2007-2012 era of post-merger transitioning. If they started D4 circa 2012 then PoE's lifespan would be shortened considerably.

That said, I think GGG had a an impact on both D3 and Blizzard in a few ways. They held a mirror to them imho. Fortunately Blizzard successfully answered the challenge - which no developers do any longer.
I always play PoE league for first month. Then when my friends hit t12-t13 maps and can't get higher cause rng they leave cause boring. After a week I hit t14's and can't go higher, then rng strikes again and I as a lvl 94+ char in 50+ ex worth of gear faceroll t10-t11.

There is a saying that perfectly describes PoE endgame - "All dressed up and nowhere to go".

So I go back to rifts and better graphics and better uniques that are not 99% trash to inflate loot tables and constantly accessible end game content and and and... but it's no secret that D3 budget was like 200 times that of PoE.

PoE devs made a great game considering limited resources and experience. Will still play leagues for a month or so.
-Forever Casual-
IGN: Zzerk
Path of Exile: Ability to store what you want in storage. Run out of space? Buy more storage!
Diablo 3: We don't like hoarders so we artificially limit players ability to put items in storage. We also don't give enough storage for it to be very useful (You get far less storage per tab than in POE and until the expansion was released you started with 1 less tab than POE too).

Path of Exile: Most environments consist of 3D models that allow for good lighting/shadowing (This combined with skills often producing light sources is the main reason POE performs worse).
Diablo 3: Most environments consist of 2D environments with faked lighting/shadowing, a forced perspective is used to hide the fact that the environments are mostly 2D objects.

Diablo 3: Good visual aesthetics.

Path of Exile: Okay story, nothing fantastic.
Diablo 3: Worst story I've had the pleasure of experiencing in my entire life, slightly edging out Starcraft 2.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Sep 23, 2016, 1:29:32 AM
The worst thing in whole Diablo III is that cartoon 'aesthetic'. That fat demon who appears through hologram while siege of human's castle in D3 is like villain from cartoon targeting 12 yo children. Just compare with Malachai's story, we read Malachai's letters and historic texts about him, but he appears only in final battle.

I have Collector Edition of Reaper of Souls and can't remember at least one character of the story. They aren't interesting. In PoE I can remember Malachai, Doryani, Atziri, Kaom, Dominus, Izaro, Cadiro, Chitus, Rigwald, etc.

Economy on PoE at least exists. I don't like full self-found as inescapable game mode.
"
Diablo 3: Most environments consist of 2D environments with faked lighting/shadowing, a forced perspective is used to hide the fact that the environments are mostly 2D objects.

I think you've mixed this up with Diablo 2. Diablo 3 is a fully 3D game, same as PoE.
I stepped away from D3 from quite a while - got a new PC recently and tried it again.
I like Adventure mode and not having to Trade

PoE is still my #1 game overall.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info