What do you prefer in D3 over PoE, and visa versa?

D3 +

1. Smartdrop system . Poe is pretty much farm for gold/currency orbs and buy what you need . This is pretty much how d3 vanilla was . d3 lets you actually find cool items . The only thing is that it needs to be toned down a bit .

2. Way cooler looking heroes . ( barbarian my favorite , looks like Conan as old , king Conan if you like )

3. The enemies is much more interesting imo . Its demons and angels which i personally find much more fascinating than the enemies in poe . They look a lot better than poes enemies too , though i dont like the angels wings that much , i prefer white birdwings like an angel should look like from mythology/religion . Poe looks a bit childish imo when you are fighting humans and skeletons at the same time ( when i play i go into this fantasy world in my head lol ) .

4. Better information/tutorial . Newer players needs this ggg , implement this to make a higher amount of new players stay . Small stuff like this can make your game grow . More players = more money to do stuff for you , pretty logical isn't it lol . Not only that it looks more professional to a new player and games in 2016 has this most of them .

5. I prefer the crafting in d3 , yes its a more simple system but in poe its more like gambling . I like crafting a lot but still to this day i havent crafted a single item in poe . If the essences is implemented into standard then maybe i give it a try . Another thing maybe a in game book in the game could be something cool in poe . a book you could write down stuff like recipes , crafting strategies etc etc , whatever you want really .

6. d3 is not dependent on 3rd party help like poe is . ( i know indie company right....right ?..... )

7. better servers .

8. developers : In poe i have a feeling the devs make the game the way they prefer to play the game themselves . No real life players ( the 1 % guys , really rich ) have a bit too much influence on their decision making also . Cant say this is a fact but it sure feels like it . example : the lab , people hate it ( i know some like it ) , they still make a uber lab despite what the obviously majority of the players want and make it mandatory to do it ( 8 points ) . D3 devs seems to me listen to the community much more . example : treasure goblin realm was a community idea and they implemented it . d3 devs seems to want a much more rewarding experience to the players and poe devs more punishing experience to the players .

9. No fucking xp nerf beyond ridiculousness . ggg you could have done this in a much better way . Why are you punishing the average joes in this game just to stop the 1 % guys . Those guys get to level 100 maybe a week later or something , big deal lol. Now the other players must pay this price with i dunno a year or so . The racing part shouldnt imo affect the whole game . Perhaps make a own league for racing for those players that enjoy that . In general the game is not as fun anymore to be completely honest with you ggg .

10 . d3 removed that we had to play the main game 3 times to get to end game , poe still have not . In d3 the monsters grow in power/level when you do , simple and genius way to do it ggg . hint hint .

11. Less 1 SHOT MECHANICS . Extremely annoying when it happens offscreen . The camera angels in d3 is better , its about the same as poe when it comes to the quality but in d3 its zoomed out and you can see more whats going on , and that = less 1 shot off screen situations . Still ggg nerf xp when the camera angels is so bad in poe , add a zoom in-out function would be really good for this game and this game needs it .

12. No xp loss on death , yeah i have to bring this one up , if it wasnt for all the massive xp nerf then it was almost ok before . not fun but almost ok . keyword " almost " , 10 % xp was pretty high amount of xp loss even before the 2 latest x nerf patches . If i die now with my level 96 witch , i probably drink myself waisted and go and find someone to beat up ( not kidding ) .

Poe +

1 . a huge skill tree that d3 lacks , this is awesome and d3 would be a much better game if they had something simular as this .

2. skill system in poe is miles ahead of d3 , gems is a very interesting way to make different builds . That being said , old and unplayed skillgems that are not used because they are bad should be buffed to be equal to the best skillgems . Why not just make all skillgems equally good but good in their own way . That should in theory open up A LOT MORE BUILD DIVERSITY , less typical meta builds . The skillgem system is imo nowhere near perfected yet .

3. tradeing , yes tradeing can be really cool , and its worth a + . But atm tradeing in its current form is simply not good enough in the year 2016 . You gotta find a way so we can trade offline and not having to waste time , so we actually trade with people . I have suggested it several times that you ggg take a break of making temp league content and prioritize the core game , use the game income on stuff the game desperately needs , this game needs core game improvements much more than a 3 months league that just dissapears anyway and i assume is not free to make . I cant see this game survive for a long time in the future the way ggg prioritze. Maybe even partner up with another gamecompany so you can get more money to improve this game . Just to be mentioned blizzard is working on a new diablo title , not sure what it is , but if it is d4 = ggg/poe rip . I really believe so because blizzard knows what the playerbase of d3 wants , they actually want it to be more like what poe is , and you really think that they are going to make d4 like d3 lol , the likelihood of that is very slim . The next diablo title is very likely going back to its roots of d1 and d2 . You gonna be sorry for not improving the core game ggg , better to be ahead and do it now . If d4 steals your skilltree and gemsystem , honestly i believe that game gonna be better in about every aspects .

4. character builds . Not really much point talk to much of this , its why we play poe over d3 most of us i guess . that being said , i think the build diversity is a bit of a illusion in poe . Yes you can do whatever you want with your character but for end game its another story .

In the end a game of a mix of d3 and poe i think would be the best version of a arpg .
thanks for reading the wall of text got a bit big ( sorry ) .
Have a nice day exiles :)
Last edited by Devonor on Sep 22, 2016, 6:44:54 AM
Diablo 3:
- More fluid graphics and gameplay
- Easier to experiment with builds
- Legendary and set items are easier to come by
- Works better in Linux

PoE:
- More different combinations of skills
- More variety for defensive strategies
- Unique items are not mandatory
- Larger number of different endgame environments
- Infinitely expandable storage

"
Phrazz wrote:
"
Diablo 3:

- Easy to "reset" a character to a different build

How anyone can view this as a "+" in a role playing game, is beyond me. But hey, we are different, and that's a good thing.

Oh come on, the "RPG" part in ARPGs is just a thin façade. The story makes up maybe 5% of the game, the rest is bashing monsters and collecting loot. Your role is pre-written for you and there are zero meaningful story choices (bandits in PoE is a stat choice, not a story choice). It's more like watching a movie than playing an actual RPG. Various forms of computer RPGs are so prevalent today that people have forgotten what true role-playing is and instead equate the term with assigning stat points or skills.

As for how "anyone" can view easy resets as a plus in a stat-assignment game, that's pretty simple: some people like to experiment without fear of repercussions. I think it's mostly casual players who don't want to spend a week re-leveling a character or wait three months for a free reset if they make a mistake. Other people like their choices to have consequences, and that's fine. There are enough ARPGs around to suit both groups.
Adventure mode. I am so sick of leveling new characters in PoE that I usually end up playing just one or two per league.
D3:
+ Self-found (though it can backfire if you try to play competitive).
+ No quick-exit, which results in mitigation/regen meta vs spike damage meta in PoE.
+ Each character can be male/female (yeah, it is REALLY important for me).
+ No Lab.
- It's Action, but not RPG really. Maybe it is great for someone, but I like RPGs.

PoE:
+ Tons of builds to design/calculate. TBH, build planning is more insteresting for me than actually playing the build.
+ You can "git gud" with your head, developing some really nice build. Like any RPG should.
+ Good value system. Like, builds killing Shaper or Uber Atziri are good. In D3 as long as you are not into top-10, you are just an ordinary Joe.

TBH, I believe that D3 is a good niche game, but it just sucks VERY hard as an RPG game. That's why I play PoE, even though all my RL friends play D3.
"
Phrazz wrote:
D3 pros:

- Mechanics
- Engine

PoE pros:

- Everything else

Diablo 3 failed HARD the moment they decided: "Yes, let's make an ARPG without builds".

As funny as it is I still play 8-10 hour of the D3 season to see what's up. Every season there's like 1-2 builds per class and that's pretty much it. I do think D3 messed up a lot when you basically can't trade and have to choose between so little skill variety. But ironically, still a better skill selection than Path of Ancestral Blade Vortextotems. Engine is so good though, as well as little things like forecasting Bearers, etc.
Fake Temp League Elitists LUL
I enjoy how easy it is to get to endgame in D3...

I mean, for the most part, I have to slog through 38 levels and 3.5 acts in order for my build to become even remotely fun or interesting. And for me, that is most likely 5-6 hours of play at the minimum. 5-6 hours of play, at minimum, to see if a build is fun or viable.

I would rather skip through the leveling content in 1 hour or so, get to mapping and enjoy mapping with my full build.
Slogging through the same content over and over and over 1000x before the fun stuff is just tedious.
"
Adventure mode. I am so sick of leveling new characters in PoE that I usually end up playing just one or two per league.

Yeah, I hear you. I just ripped due to lag (first time) last night. I MAY do one more character in this league in HC. Thats it. Then its back to standard for me where I have a ton of mats, uniques, and resources to do whatever I want with relative ease until the REAL game (mapping).
if poe could implemant endless rifts and forget about crazy nerfs , that game would be near perfect.....

have fun
learning is a painful process ... knowledge is the most deadly weapon.
I rarely comment on the forums. So here are my .02s from playing D3 from the start, at expansion and recently in season 6 ladder. PLaying POE from beta, open game, and on and off like D3.

Couple of things to consider: I often play D3 for a bit, then POE for a while and enjoy the different feeling to both. I have completed tons all endgame in D3 and pushed solo GR 90 in season 6. I have yet to complete uber atziri, pass lvl 92 or make it to the guardians in POE.

D3 - is fun to look at. It's pretty, dynamics are smooth and I feel overall more polished than POE.

POE - I feel D3 finally has builds (skill/item interaction to do fun/cool things) when before all the items were just a crit/crit damage push and almost the same. But I feel POE takes the cake here. Saw worm blaster build and though to myself that I love how creative that build is or other builds in general (yea I play BV, I'm pretty new still to POE)

D3 - Has an endless rift, which is fun until you reach a limit real quick. I find that all I did was rift. Bounties were like 5% of the time. Rifting and collecting blood shards was it. The endgame was trying to get "ancient" versions of the items you had to only push a few states up a bit.

POE - I haven't made it to endgame in POE yet. I haven't killed the guardians, I haven't killed Uber Atziri, I feel more invested in POE. I feel I have to trade more, grind more but to get more rewarding stuff. Compared to getting it pretty fast in D3 then just state pushing.

POE - the economy here, the orb idea is awesome. In D3 you got gold, and let's not forget the auction house and how maddening that made me. While I did find stuff, I think I won 1-2 bids the entire time playing it pre expansion. I'm not sure if having an auction house with bidding is a good idea. I think having a portal to trade through like poe.trade integrated in the game or using that is fine.

POE - New content. Seriously I feel these guys are always adding something to the game. A new skill, a new thing to collect, a new place. I enjoy that.

POE - Leagues vs Ladder. This is really my first league on POE and it's a blast. I'm enjoying it a lot and hoping to push to guardians soon. I just learned how POE.Trade works and am buying up all the maps I am missing. I feel this is fun and I have a target to move towards. D3's seasons is an endless ladder to no where. Paragon leveling isn't exciting and after 400 levels of it I am just excited to reach another 200 points so I can finally max out another state. It became a grind to nowhere faster than I feel POE has (at least for me).

POE - Races! Enough said

POE - Items and skills in POE are far beyond D3. While D3 has made big efforts to make people feel like we finally have builds (instead or just a bunch of useless skills).

D3 - self found. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. While in D3 you are completely playing self found. It just felt different. With the obvious removal of AH they shifted to completely self found. I like it but seriously, I might as well be playing offline then.

D3 - I felt like each class is different. Which is nice while POE simply influenced the starting position. With ascendancy though I know feel that POE does a better job offering a unique way that you character interacts with some element of the game. D3 now has the option of a few viable ways to play the game. It's come a long way.

POE - I don't mind saving up to get items. I feel my currency I'm finding and trading for is allowing me to move through the game at a fair pace (saving up for a high ES 5L and taste of hate at the moment).

POE - Maps and grinding. I love that maps roll mods and those mods influence how I play. I have rolled corrupted maps that just make me put them in a dark closet somewhere and think "well I'm never playing that bullshit." D3 has the same variables all the time. It doesn't change it just get's harder and harder via stats.

So while d3 allows you to progress through an endless ladder, with items that stat push and gems that stat push to face harder but the same content. I feel POE allows you to save for different items (I haven't fully finished end game POE or come close) I feel it allows me to face NEW content. Once that is over though... I don't know.

D3 - I always hope that one day it will be like D2 was to me. I doubt it ever will anymore. I feel POE is though.

D3 - I feel indifferent about being able to switch characters at will. At times I think it's to easy. In POE I wanted to make a switch from Life to ES and it cost me at least 2 ex trying to fix stupid mistakes I made. Almost quit but now I am ok. Not sure if this is a pro or a con.

Overall my feeling with D3 after playing the recent ladder and playing POE in the recent league is that D3 seems more polished and vibrant to look at but the push at the end simply to go from Great rift 85 to Great rift 87 made it boring. I'm not sure if I will ever fight the shaper this season (maybe near the end). But I have something I am racing towards and I like that much more.

Last edited by laxcrazy on Sep 22, 2016, 1:36:24 PM
D3:
-The sheer amount of interactions certain unique effects can have with others
-Some truly silly things that seem to exist purely for fun (turn into an exploding chicken!)
PoE:
-Flame dash totems
-Currency system
-Scrolls of f***ing wisdom (seriously, why did they remove the scrolls in D3???)
-everything else
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info