The Voll's Protector Crit Freezer

Hi everyone,

I really like the mechanics of Power Charges, but the surviability with Power Siphon lacks in my opinion, so I thought I combine Power Charges with the surviability of a Freezing Pulse Templar.

The Key to this specc is:

I linked Freezing Pulse with LMP/GMP (yet undecided what I like better) with Faster Projectiles, Life Leech and Blood Magic. Blood Magic, because I couldn't sustain Freezing Pulse due to the - 50 % max Mana of the Voll's Protector. My Auras are currently Vitality and Purity.

So far, I really like this specc. At the moment around 48 % crit chance with full Power Charges, + 5 % additional Freeze from "Freeze" passive and if needed additional freeze change from Frostbite.

For sniping Mobs I use Ice Spear with Faster Projectiles and Culling Strike.

For effective distraction I got a Spell Totem with Summon Skeletons, Faster Casting and Culling Strike (which works really well for Boss Mobs).

Build:

Next Steps are, that I get more HP nodes to boost my surviability if mobs get actually to hit me.

I would appreciate some feedback from you, what I could improve.

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by SeanRogerPierce on Feb 20, 2013, 11:14:24 AM
I'd say that the damage becomes a real issue. With two support gems for pure "casting" of the original spell (blood magic + life leech), I don't simply see how one could toss enough damage out.

...although wands and shields could give quite a boost. But still, can you reach 5k DPS for example?

This could work for PvP as long as your target doesn't have "cannot be frozen".
Composer, sound designer, game designer, producer, gaming journalist, gamer.
www.soundcloud.com/Artifex28
I really don't know if I could get to 5k dps. My gear is not very good at the moment, this is not my main character. But I plan to continue to upgrade my gear as I can. We'll have to wait and see, whats possible.
You already have to +8% mana nodes near the templar start, so grab a couple more mana nodes north of the witch start. Another 8% and the 18% will nearly cancel the mana cost of Voll's, which is additive not multiplicative. Then drop life leech and blood magic for mana leech, and add another gem.

I'm running a staff-based crit/stun templar based on glacial hammer and ground slam (which is fun, but probably not as effective as this build could be), and those 4 nodes make all the difference. For reference, here is my current tree:

Also, tell me where to find a 5L voll's ;)
Last edited by FrederickHermanJonesJr on Feb 20, 2013, 11:58:32 AM
"

Also, tell me where to find a 5L voll's ;)

Thanks for your reply. I will look into your suggestion.
And where you can find a 5 Link Protector, well. You need about 60 Jeweller Orbs and 150 Fusings and you got one. ;)

edit: One Problem with dropping Life Leech for Mana Leech. 3 green Sockets on a VP is very unlikely and would possibly be more diffcult than get the 5 link. But I give it maybe a try, when I stockpiled a lot of cromatics.
Last edited by SeanRogerPierce on Feb 20, 2013, 11:59:48 AM
Hm, yeah, it looks from this thread that around 5% of sockets would be green:

pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/20338/page/1

So (ignoring the other two sockets) this would be around a 0.1% chance, or ~1000 chromes.

Good luck! Or figure out how to get fast mana regen, I guess...
Better to go for 6 link. ;)
Yeah, you could think about going for eldritch battery. I'm not sure how much mana you'd need to get the regen working for you though.

Edit: also, thanks for posting your build. You've got me thinking about my mine :). I may drop the resist and life nodes near the marauder and instead go screaming over to near the shadow start like you did. Faster attacks + slightly more crit for lower resist seems like a decent trade.
Last edited by FrederickHermanJonesJr on Feb 20, 2013, 1:14:47 PM
if you want to increase your damage why not use added lightning damage instead of faster projectile ?
get the static blows and chance to shock passives (they aren't far from where you are : 3 Skill Points for the 2 of them).
with the high crit chance from power charges you can stack shock (it procs by chance and on crit) like crazy with gmp and do insane amount of damage.

might be worth the try.
I thought of it, but the bigger range with "Faster Projectiles" is hard to give up. I planned to add Lightning with a 6 Socket, but maybe it is just a matter of habit. I guess I have to take out the gem for a hour or two to test out if I could live with it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info