Looking for best RF build

"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
Pure rf is a death sentence.

My Trickster only uses RF, Vaal Disc and Whirling Blades. Trick of Flames because names are hard. VDisc pushes Regen to beyond 10k/sec and grants some 65% More Damage, Vinktar for Shock, Whirl applies EE. It's quite melty.

My usual partner in crime made a Life RF build (Pocket Sun) that only uses Flame Surge to melt Uniques, everything else dies from the AoE (and Vinktar). He uses Flame Surge a bit more liberally in Smothering Maps for the 1% Leech, but the casting slows him down a little (welp so much for synergy).

The Trickster is purely RF-based, and the Chieftain is essentially pure RF - the Flame Surge is for expedience, it's not a requisite. It's perfectly viable to use RF on its own.

"Easily Chieftain hands down. I don't think you can pick a node on that tree that doesn't help rf in some way other than Tukohama which would be rf totems."
This one's just a nitpick: Hinekora and Ngamahu also do nothing for RF. :p
(Damage over Time cannot benefit from conditional modifiers such as Ngamahu, sadly)

e; the Berserker could be a risky but highly powerful alternative. Huh. If I get a decent Life/Str helmet with the 40% More Elemental Damage essence, I will probably make a zerker for mad deeps.

I was more specifically referring to a bunch of life regen in chieftain tree, not so much the conditional modifiers.

And my earlier quote was referring to not being able to do 0 regen maps and making reduced regen maps painful (somewhat negligible when gear and stats are right). I also consider the ee whirling blades not just RF. You trigger EE, rf kills quicker than normal (not too much mind you) make reduced regen quicker since you aren't fighting monsters as long. Meanwhile when I was doing Firestorm rf, you can do 0 regen maps with just the firestorm, just nowhere near as quickly.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
Some good information here. Thank you.
"I also consider the ee whirling blades not just RF."
...So unspeccing EE would make it pure RF then? *rolls eyes*
If you want to be that specific about it, then I guess it's not pure RF.

---
No Regen and -Max Resists on red maps are the only mods I can't run, I'm pretty sure.
Yellow-tier -Max is doable but annoying. 40% Smothering is no big deal at all, 60% Smothering requires a dousing while backtracking but is otherwise fine - Vaal Disc is the best Flask. Blood Magic is no issue because all my Skills are free.

Having to reroll a whopping two Map mods is hardly a, quote, "death sentence". I'd rather spend a Scour or a Chaos than run a map not using my main Skill. That's just my preference though :)

Anyways, just want to have it said that Life RF can get really close to pure RF, and ES RF is as pure RF as it gets. Whether it truly qualifies depends on how specific your definition is.
I just got done levelling an RF Chieftain using these:

RF clears pretty well on its own, but I have Vortex as a secondary mob clearer, and of couse Flame Surge for single targets. With 700 STR and Iron Will it works pretty good I guess, but it turns out I'm not a fan of the playstyle in general (first ever RF build). Too slow and clunky for my taste.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"I also consider the ee whirling blades not just RF."
...So unspeccing EE would make it pure RF then? *rolls eyes*
If you want to be that specific about it, then I guess it's not pure RF.

---
No Regen and -Max Resists on red maps are the only mods I can't run, I'm pretty sure.
Yellow-tier -Max is doable but annoying. 40% Smothering is no big deal at all, 60% Smothering requires a dousing while backtracking but is otherwise fine - Vaal Disc is the best Flask. Blood Magic is no issue because all my Skills are free.

Having to reroll a whopping two Map mods is hardly a, quote, "death sentence". I'd rather spend a Scour or a Chaos than run a map not using my main Skill. That's just my preference though :)

Anyways, just want to have it said that Life RF can get really close to pure RF, and ES RF is as pure RF as it gets. Whether it truly qualifies depends on how specific your definition is.

I mostly just considered how OP originally started out with pure rf meaning to me that they likely wanted to just walk around. Death sentence was an exaggeration of that I admit, just emphasizing the need to chaos any no regen maps and prepping for reduced duration and -max. Even fire storming like I did doesn't get too far from "pure" rfing. But just having an additional 4 or 3l skill on top of rf makes the build a little more interactive and not something that gets too boring quickly - the second part of my death sentence exaggeration. I tried doing pure rf when I first made it, walking around just picking up loot. Without having the tv or youtube on I literally started falling asleep playing it since I didn't have much to do and wouldn't notice myself dozing off when the atmosphere in my apartment was just right.

Enough of my grammatical nitpicking though. Looks like we gave OP plenty to think about.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
"
"
spawn10459 wrote:
Good to know. So use RF as a spell booster.

What class makes the best RF/caster.

Easily Chieftain hands down. I don't think you can pick a node on that tree that doesn't help rf in some way other than Tukohama which would be rf totems.

imo inquisitor shits over chieftain for pure RF builds
I,m using RF to boost Incinerate both by its more modifier but also by Celestial Punishment interaction.Game style is as follows:
- leap slam into middle of a pack
- ablaze everything by combination of RF and Incinerate if anything somehow survived Commandment of Fire's shoot.

The class I'm using is templar inquisitor...well in short look at my Kwintus character.About the tree,I'm heading for Explosive Impact,after that I'll pick 2-3 additional sockets.
Last edited by MasterBLB on Aug 29, 2016, 1:18:14 AM
Pure RF is totally fine. I recommend juggernaut though. It's more tanky and actually gives you a lot more damage than chieftain.

Koams heart, two koams way rings for the regen, doryanis catalyst as weapon and saffels or rise of the phoenix. Get 250%+ life on the tree (not counting jewels), all the endurance charges, some increased aoe and fire damage. You might struggle with resists, so jewels help a lot here until you get some GG rares.

Was doing tier 7 maps at level 70 with over 7k life, and that was using a brightbeak since I couldn't use my doryanis catalyst yet (So was missing 130% increased ele damage). Still had heaps of life and fire damage nodes to pick up on the tree. (My next 10 points were all going to be extra life). In essence league you'll be able to get 40% more damage from the helmet essence too.

Oh yeah, get ele equilibrium and cyclone + fortify + lgoh + BM, and then get some lightning or cold damage on your amulet.

Run purity of fire or course, and then probably lightning is next best.

(I can't tell you about past the tier 7 maps though cause I got myself killed by forgetting to put my aura on when entering a map and then getting jumped by devourers while my fire res was at like 50%..) Definitely going to remake it on essence HC though because it was the most fun character I've ever played. I love tanky, and it was doing surprising amounts of damage.
Last edited by Muldeh on Aug 29, 2016, 3:29:36 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info