Atlas question

So, from the Atlas mechanics post:

"The new rule is that the maps that can drop are from the following groups:

Maps you've previously completed in this league (including on other characters).
Maps that are connected to the one you're playing on the Atlas.
Tier 1 maps.

When a map drops, its tier is entirely unchanged by the choice of which maps you have unlocked so far."

Also:

"You can trade for maps and play them regardless of which ones you've previously completed. If you trade for a map and complete it then it unlocks on your Atlas, even if it's not connected to any other ones."

Which means it is possible to bypass entire tiers of maps via trading, but what happens then when the game rolls a map tier to drop that I have no tilesets unlocked for? Any testers who have info on this?

Another problem is that if one tileset from a certain tier dominates all others in efficiency then it may end up profitable to simply leave all the other maps from the tier unlocked forever - regardless of the Atlas quantity bonus. I just hope they can make the layouts vary a lot less in desirability so that this doesn't become the "optimal" strategy.

Last bumped on Aug 24, 2016, 7:48:33 AM
Good question.

What I think happens there is the same thing that happens if the boss drops a +2 map when you do a higher tier map for the first time, it won't be among those connected to it so it wouldn't be able to drop and I assume the tier roll will repeat until it hits a tier for which you do have maps open.

So, to make up an example - if you keep buying and running only Collonade, you will be only able to drop
Mountain Ledge (T6)
Collonade (T5)
Pier (T5)
Arena (T5)
Spider Forest (T4)
and four T1 maps

Considering that the drop weight of T1 will probably be higher, you will likely drop them at a ratio like this
T6 - 15%
T5 - 20%
T4 - 25%
T1 - 40%

So, by forcing a map like that you will drop a lot of T1 maps and have no chance at +2, which sounds plausible. And running a Collonade shaped to T10 could drop shaped version of itself and tiers 6,4 and 1, which would probably also give crappy returns, that's the way I understood it.

Ideally, fully uncovering the atlas should give you the best map return, that's at least what I expect. Also, it would fuel the ol' pyramid, those that uncovered the atlas will have plenty maps to sell and their price won't be high so those that just want to push experience in Gorge will be able to buy their shortcut to level 100.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
I think the most important map won't be gorge, but shaped gorge. Regular gorge will drop quite a lot I think.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
FCK42 wrote:
I think the most important map won't be gorge, but shaped gorge. Regular gorge will drop quite a lot I think.

Gorge is tier 12, the highest-tier Shaper's Orb is for t10 maps.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
FCK42 wrote:

Gorge is tier 12, the highest-tier Shaper's Orb is for t10 maps.
ah, so no shaped gorges. Not sure if that's good or bad, but I'd say good.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
raics wrote:
Ideally, fully uncovering the atlas should give you the best map return

Though it's possible it just won't happen, if you buy only Gorge from T12, all the chokepoint T13s and then open the path to final four bosses on every side you'd only drop T1s, Gorge with neighbors, T13s and up. No idea if that kind of narrow selection with 10% more maps would beat a full map roster with 100% more map drops.

"
raics wrote:
"
raics wrote:
Ideally, fully uncovering the atlas should give you the best map return

Though it's possible it just won't happen, if you buy only Gorge from T12, all the chokepoint T13s and then open the path to final four bosses on every side you'd only drop T1s, Gorge with neighbors, T13s and up. No idea if that kind of narrow selection with 10% more maps would beat a full map roster with 100% more map drops.

Well to bring an example from the current map system you would probably:

- Unlock only Gorge, Plateau and Springs from their respective tiers
- Unlock everything else for close to 100% quantity bonus

IF you can indeed force a tier reroll by skipping lower tiers entirely that would make it a bit more complicated, but I think the above method alone is already problematic.

"
Zed_ wrote:
IF you can indeed force a tier reroll by skipping lower tiers entirely that would make it a bit more complicated, but I think the above method alone is already problematic.

Yeah, though it would depend a lot on tier weights, for example

1 - 40
2 - 38
3 - 36
4 - 34
5 - 32
6 - 30
7 - 28
8 - 26
9 - 24
10 - 22
11 - 20
12 - 18
13 - 16
14 - 14
15 - 12

So, if you've unlocked a total of 15 maps of tiers 1,12,13,14 and 15 and you're doing a T14 map your chances are:
T15 - 10%
T14 - 12%
T13 - 13%
T12 - 15%
T1 - 33%

If we include the 15% more map bonus you'd get 12 T15 maps and 14 T14 maps per 100 T14 runs. I'm a bit lazy to do it in detail but if you uncovered the entire atlas your chances for T14 and 15 would be around 60% of those, including 100% map quantity bonus. Now, it would be much different if map weighting is different, but we don't know the exact numbers.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info