Pretty New Players, and build recommendations

My girlfriend and I started playing Poe about 2 weeks ago. We're having lots of fun and want to have 2 characters that we only play when we're partied together (Since our current ones got a rather large level difference since I have no life) She will be playing this build https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1613456/page/1 and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for me that will work well with hers. I prefer casters but I'm open to anything that i can hold my own with but still be able to support her. Thanks guys.
Last bumped on Aug 24, 2016, 7:53:27 AM
I might recommend that she doesn't play the build you linked? There is no way you can get gear like that in 2 weeks. Unless you already realize you'll be playing a budget version of it -_-

Setting that aside, let's say she gets the build online in all of it's glory. The problem I frequently run into when playing with just one other person is that if one person is powerful (in this case she's near immortal and doing 300k AoE dps), you're gonna have a hard time finding a mob to kill no matter what you build. Unless you build a sick bow user, and kill stuff off screen before she sees it. In which case she would then be in the hypothetical predicament I just laid out for you. :o

So if you're ok with that scenario, then you can build literally anything. But there are two ways to be useful while being otherwise useless. You can build a magic find character that utilizes 'culling strike' support gem to 'snipe' boss kills from her, resulting in big loot explosions.

or

Build an 'aura bot' Templar and support her with useful auras and defenses (you can still tack some magic find onto this and use something with culling strike).

If these concepts sound foreign you can ask and I'm sure someone will explain in more detail.
@innervation - I'm pretty sure they will be levelling the characters up, of course they don't expect to have end-game characters from day 1 XD.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
We do plan on leveling them up from nothing and doing our best, She will be making due with what we can get for the build besides the mandatory Daggers and ring which we can already afford. So considering she won't be a godless killing machine for a long time, any other recommendations? I'm currently playing a Crit ark build and it's fun but i'm very tired of instantly dying to a reflect mob that isn't on my screen yet.
Not sure if this will be your thing, but here's my suggestion:

Try reverse knockback shockwave totems. Sucks the enemy mobs into tight packs for her to aoe down with the freeze pulse or whatever she's doing, and keeps you both safe in the process. You wont die to reflect, because totems. You'll still do decent damage and be able to use curses or whatever else you want to support with.

Basically empires grasp gauntlets are the only required unique. Get the extra totem keystone, a shockwave totem and knockback support gem, and the rest is up to you to play around with.
"
Muldeh wrote:
Not sure if this will be your thing, but here's my suggestion:

Try reverse knockback shockwave totems. Sucks the enemy mobs into tight packs for her to aoe down with the freeze pulse or whatever she's doing, and keeps you both safe in the process. You wont die to reflect, because totems. You'll still do decent damage and be able to use curses or whatever else you want to support with.

Basically empires grasp gauntlets are the only required unique. Get the extra totem keystone, a shockwave totem and knockback support gem, and the rest is up to you to play around with.

This is a very good and practical suggestion. Totems reflect damage to themselves, not to you, so you'll be happy to find that reflect will no longer be an issue for you. And getting a bunch of increased AoE from the skill tree (templar and witch areas) + the Increased AoE support gem with the Empire's Grasp gloves will combo nicely with a close range spell like freeze pulse.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Empire%27s_Grasp

There are the gloves, not sure if you've been to the wiki yet - it's a very nice place. And - actually - the gloves come with the knockback gem inherent in them (assuming you socket your shockwave totem into the gloves). So that's a 5L shockwave totem in your gloves, which would let you be very open to what you want to run in your other slots. Vaal skill gems like Vaal Grace, Vaal Haste, Vaal Discipline, Vaal Clarity and Vaal Summon Skeletons all linked with an Increased Duration Gem can make boss fights a lot smoother and safer.

The reason I mentioned running a budget version of the Freeze Pulse build is because he's using some 'legacy gear'. Namely the consuming dark daggers. The build will still work with the newer nerfed versions, just wanted to make sure your expectations were in the right place!
Your girlfriend's chosen build on the 'suitable for new players' scale:

terrible <===[]=============================> great

Unless she's extremely good and experienced in ARPGS.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Aug 24, 2016, 6:35:35 AM
Okay, I see. While I do think she can handle the build without problems, she also enjoys the look of this one aswell https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1668096 Do ya'll think this one is a better idea? Will it be effective against high level bosses? And the reverse knockback Totems sound really cool and helpful, I'll probably go with that is she goes an aoe build like this one. If we did go with these, how effective would we be versus those strong bosses since we focus on large smaller enemies?
The Ice Nova build is much better. It's life based. ES builds are much more expensive and require a lot of knowledge - how to start as life-based, how and when to transition, how to deal with ES mechanics. Lowlife is even trickier.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
The new build you linked for your gf has a set up for single target too. But you wont really be able to do that with the totems, aside from switching out increased aoe to conc effect if you don't already have conc effect in the main link set up. So I would expect the shockwave totems to be a little slow killing bosses, but hopefully your gfs single target will make up for it somewhat.. I haven't used flame surge before so I wouldn't know what it's like.

That said, being able to plant totems and let them do the work means you're free to focus on dodging everything that is being thrown at you by the boss, which seems like is going to be quite relevant with these new bosses. Just hopefully the aoe doesn't kill your totems too often!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info