Any good reason to go for life instead of ES ?

Do life based characters have any big advantages, besides life flasks and alot cheaper gear?

CI/Low life offers twice the amount of EHP, stun/freeze problems can be easily solved with flasks or some uniques.
Last bumped on Aug 22, 2016, 7:46:50 PM
"
Do life based characters have any big advantages, besides life flasks and alot cheaper gear?

CI/Low life offers twice the amount of EHP, stun/freeze problems can be easily solved with flasks or some uniques.

Well, that's the main advantages of life builds - less gear dependancy and ability to quickly recover HP pool. ES builds are very strong now mainly because of Occultist Ascendancy - it's actually OP because of easy ES "regen" (at least, for some time, usually enough to kill everything). But still, some builds would be kinda bad with ES. Take my Hegemony EQ slayer as an example. He's a clear examle of life build, that has insane HP recovery.

Do note, that in leagues, getting greatly-rolled ES gear can be a problem, especially at start.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
ES nodes are only really abundant in the top half of the tree, if you're looking for a non-caster character then getting enough ES while maintaining decent damage can be challenging (albeit very possible depending on build and gear available)

Also acrobatics op
For try for see and for know.
IGN: Sap
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
slayer

Also berserker. And some others ascendancies as well that work much better with life than ES.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
"
Bed wrote:
ES nodes are only really abundant in the top half of the tree, if you're looking for a non-caster character then getting enough ES while maintaining decent damage can be challenging (albeit very possible depending on build and gear available)

Also acrobatics op

I see, but life doesn't offer any chance of surviving big hits (volatile on hard maps)...
Depends on the ES build. I have a Lv 90 Occultist with 15,500 ES with around 2,300 ES regen a second. She can facetank a lot of things...but stuns and freeze wreck her bad. The build I followed (based on Dy'ness's tank) had a premise that the high ES and regen could survive just about anything...however in practice it's not quite the case. Some bosses stun lock and destroy her instantly (Maegara) and big hitting bosses like T14 Vaal and T13 Voll can do upwards of 10,000 damage a hit and have one shotted her with crits and bonuses from map mods.

And then there's my Pathfinder with 6200 life with 75/70 block from Rumis, 30% extra physical damage reduction from a Basalt flask, 13% reduction from Arctic Armour, Enfeeble curse and Fortify from her WB/Vagan Dagger combo...even hits from a powered up T13 Voll at most do half of her life. She can facetank bosses that destroy my high CI Occultist all day long.

And with a flask that gives almost 4,000 life per second which *never* runs out (the rest rarely do either)...I'll stick with life anyday...and stuns are extremely rare and she's immune to freeze (as well as ignite and shock) with her flasks constantly up. A CI based version of my build could be good if it had stun immunity and a way to refill ES quickly...but so far, I'll stick with life.

Volatiles and Bearer bombs can be dangerous...but most only do a small chunk of life.
"
"
Bed wrote:

Also acrobatics op

I see, but life doesn't offer any chance of surviving big hits (volatile on hard maps)...

For physical damage, you can (and should) stack endurance charges and some armour/phys reduction from slasks. For elemental damage - yes, that's the weakness of life builds. Life builds also use Fortify, enfefeble, Arctic Armour, block, dodge, evasion, etc. to mitigate damage.
But i can assure you, characters die from multiple non-fatal hits much more often, than from "oneshots". In that case, ES dont have so much an advantage.
And the last thing to consider. In PoE, your best defence is offence. Dead enemies deal no damage (well, with an exception of Volatile Blood, which is OP). 95%+ of builds CANT facetank mobs in difficult areas, and they dont - the just kill enemies so fast, that they dont have time to kill the character.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Aug 21, 2016, 2:24:25 PM
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
In PoE, your best defence is offence. Dead enemies deal no damage (well, with an exception of Volatile Blood, which is OP).

Volatile blood ain't got nothing on the burning man though... *remembers encounter* *shivers*
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
SasoriOtoko wrote:
Depends on the ES build. I have a Lv 90 Occultist with 15,500 ES with around 2,300 ES regen a second. She can facetank a lot of things...but stuns and freeze wreck her bad. The build I followed (based on Dy'ness's tank) had a premise that the high ES and regen could survive just about anything...however in practice it's not quite the case. Some bosses stun lock and destroy her instantly (Maegara) and big hitting bosses like T14 Vaal and T13 Voll can do upwards of 10,000 damage a hit and have one shotted her with crits and bonuses from map mods.

And then there's my Pathfinder with 6200 life with 75/70 block from Rumis, 30% extra physical damage reduction from a Basalt flask, 13% reduction from Arctic Armour, Enfeeble curse and Fortify from her WB/Vagan Dagger combo...even hits from a powered up T13 Voll at most do half of her life. She can facetank bosses that destroy my high CI Occultist all day long.

And with a flask that gives almost 4,000 life per second which *never* runs out (the rest rarely do either)...I'll stick with life anyday...and stuns are extremely rare and she's immune to freeze (as well as ignite and shock) with her flasks constantly up. A CI based version of my build could be good if it had stun immunity and a way to refill ES quickly...but so far, I'll stick with life.

Volatiles and Bearer bombs can be dangerous...but most only do a small chunk of life.

and why an es based char can't use block, basalt, arctic, enfeeble and fortify?
I agree with op, besides the stuns and the leech as well as the cost and transition to ES. Ghost reaver fixes the leech however. Only that if you are in the marauder section of the tree it is kind of stretching it a bit too far ...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info