Occultist builds for a novice

Are there any efficient build for a Guardian that use 2 handed weapons? I checked the guides section, but all Guardian builds there either use a shield or focus on spellcasting.
Last edited by Waret on Jul 31, 2016, 6:31:13 PM
Last bumped on Aug 1, 2016, 9:56:30 PM
Well, you can technically make a 2H build with a guardian but it won't be efficient because he has pretty much zero synergy with them. He has some mediocre block buffs and really good aura buffs you can take full advantage of only if you reserve life. That's the reason for spellcasting focus of Guardian builds, you're making a low life char and that spells caster, if you'll pardon the pun.

I suppose a staff build would make the most sense, just for the block buff. Bringer of rain, flask, a few jewels, you could probably get decent block chance that way.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Jul 31, 2016, 3:20:15 PM
Are other Templar classes better for 2h then? I really want to play that mighty templar hero with a two-handed hammer or a staff.
Last edited by Waret on Jul 31, 2016, 4:15:55 PM
Inquisitor would probably be a better choice, he rocks with anything crit and elemental so if you convert physical to elemental or find a worthy elemental staff it will work out.

Last edited by raics on Jul 31, 2016, 4:36:13 PM
"
raics wrote:
Inquisitor would probably be a better choice, he rocks with anything crit and elemental so if you convert physical to elemental or find a worthy elemental staff it will work out.

Thanks! See, I am a total noob here and when I read Inquisitor's description I thought he was a spellcaster class.
As a tip, good elemental staves are kinda hard to find so it would be a better idea to convert physical. Hegemony is a very nice and affordable staff, if you go for Ice Crash with phys to lightning and added fire while using Hatred aura you will do a ton of damage in all three elements. That would usually be a problem because we don't have a universal elemental penetration support but Inquisitor's resistance ignore on crit solves that.

That said, if you're a total noob you should probably go for something else first, something that works right off the bat and puts some range between your ass and monster claws until you learn the game a bit. It would indeed be much easier if you went for a caster, archer or totemist.

Last edited by raics on Jul 31, 2016, 4:56:53 PM
"
raics wrote:
It would indeed be much easier if you went for a caster, archer or totemist.

My Templar is only level 13 so I might aw well make a Witch. Is going for an Occultist a good idea for a novice? There are a few guides that seemed good.
You will have to link those that seemed interesting to you, I'm afraid. Most of the builds from there are strong, but some may be hard to pull off for a newcomer or too expensive.

"
raics wrote:
You will have to link those that seemed interesting to you, I'm afraid. Most of the builds from there are strong, but some may be hard to pull off for a newcomer or too expensive.

As I Occultist I just want to cast some long-range magic spells and see enemies die. I also don't want to use a bow or fight with a melee weapon (though just having a melee weapon equipped is fine.) When I read the guides I honestly don't understand all the terminology - especially regarding the items, but I guess just using proper Passive Skill Tree nodes would be sufficient for the first 20-30 levels.

There are several guides that seem to fit my needs:
Low Life Tri-Curse Poison Essence Drain Occultist - Uber Viable, 10k+ ES, 40k+ DoT dps
LL Crit Arc Occultist - Budget/CI version included - Core viable
Sextuple Cursing Occultist with Whispering Ice
Essence Drain + Contagion Build - Occultist Witch
Odas' Occultist Poison Nova Mine Guide [Budget][SC/HC viable][Uber Viable]
CheaP [HC]-Obli. Chaos explosion hybrid Occultist
Occultist (Contagion + Essence Drain) Beginner starting build

Thanks for spending your time!
"
Waret wrote:

Can't recommend this one, it's a low-life build so it requires high ES items you won't be able to afford straight away. The chest is especially tricky, until you can get it you will have a very rough time.

"
Waret wrote:

Same, if you see 'LL' that isn't really a good build to start exploring the game with.

"
Waret wrote:

Whispering Ice is a somewhat tricky build, you will either stack tons of INT or go home, because of that it will shine in ES version which has the same problem as above two. If you go life/ES 6 curse route like the guide suggests you won't be able to afford 6 curses because a +1 curse corrupted amulet and the chest are fairly pricey.

"
Waret wrote:

This one wouldn't be bad, all items are affordable enough except Heretic's Veil and it isn't really required, you can use ES gloves and a high ES chest instead until you got enough ES to sacrifice those slots for DPS. That said, it's a Chaos Innoculation (CI) build and that, again, means ES items, which again means you will need to do the transition from life to ES at some point which isn't fun. Also, Essence Drain builds aren't everyone's cup of tea, I suggest trying out the mechanics first, some find it clunky to use.

"
Waret wrote:

This is a mine build, more than some find (p)laying mines clunky. Also, you can't do 100% chaos conversion anymore.

"
Waret wrote:

This one seems to be work in progress.

"
Waret wrote:

This is basically a non-CI version of the Essence Drain build from above, it's probably your best shot if you're adamant about a chaos Occultist.

Now, this is probably a good build for a beginner, you want something that's simple, easy and cheap, the guide is also very detailed.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1460817

Another piece of advice - don't start in HC unless you absolutely have to, there's a lot to learn about the game and most of it is in endgame. That's hard to do if you keep restarting and you often won't know what exactly did you in until you die a few times to the same thing, I suggest learning the ropes in softcore first.

Last edited by raics on Jul 31, 2016, 11:04:04 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info