So why no shoulder pads/pauldrons in this game?

Tis just a random thoughts, anyone know why there weren't any shoulder pads/pauldrons added to the game? Hell, why no pants too? Has GGG ever mentioned this? It would be a big overhaul to the game if they added both, but would it make the game more interesting or fun?
Last bumped on Jul 29, 2016, 12:24:17 PM
If GGG plans to add more gear slot, it will require a lot of work/money to include the 3d art for early game to end game version. Not just that, but balancing around life, res, mana, ar/ev/es, and etc as well.

When it comes to this, 3.0 or any other major expansion (4.0, 5.0, ...) would be the best time introduce something major like new gear slots or more type of gears and weapons. Of course, that depends all on GGG.

Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Jul 27, 2016, 1:57:25 AM
fair enough, thanks for the insight!
Not sure how this would make the game more "fun" - it would make it more complicated, and I'm not sure if we need more of that. :P It seems that armor slot does the job of pants and pauldrons.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
Perq wrote:
It seems that armor slot does the job of pants

Somewhat poorly, if I might add.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
Perq wrote:
Not sure how this would make the game more "fun" - it would make it more complicated, and I'm not sure if we need more of that. :P It seems that armor slot does the job of pants and pauldrons.

Well, I was thinking of two ways. One being having more MTX options, so being able to customize your character more, and second allowing more uniques which provide qwerky bonuses.
It would be a lot of work, to be sure. Removing pauldrons from armors that have them, ensuring all combinations fit well together, solve clipping issues... that's a lot of development time, so it would be costly without adding much to the game. The same effect could be achieved by upping the stats and bonuses of other armor pieces, I suppose.

However, an offhand manica for 2H weapons could be interesting because it's a balance factor like quivers are for bows. Still, it would carry a similar set of problems.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
People have been asking for pants for a very long time.

Maybe we'll see them one day! But until then, most characters go pantsless. Only a few armours have pants built-in.

I agree with the general sentiment that body armour does a fine job of filling the pauldron slot. If all you want is customization, Armour can have multiple MTX effects--for example, boots can have both a footprints effect and a skin added. It would involve a bit of work to make sure the following suggestion looks graphically sane in all cases, but it wouldn't seem ridiculous to me for GGG to literally add pauldron MTX to add to body armours that go on top of other body armour MTX. This being without them ever needing to add an actual pauldron slot, which frankly seems like a silly thing you just stole from d3 :P
Last edited by codetaku on Jul 27, 2016, 8:33:03 AM
No, not stolen from D3, just a thought. Pants would definitely be a good thing though. I like to fantasize about additional content other than the usual stuff GGG releases, but I guess I just have an expensive imagination :P

Saying that, how much work would it be to add additional weapon? Not as much as adding shoulder pads I would imagine. Lots of people have been asking for spears...crossbows would fit in well with the feel of the game as well. All this would require is a change to the passive tree and model animations. There are so many different types of melee weapons (mace, axe, sword, dagger, claw) yet for range there's bows and wands...

I would like to see some suggestions for different types of caster weapons. Perhaps some kind of "wand" that has a slow attack speed but deals damage in an aoe radius? (Ranged melee splash so to speak).

Anyway, there I go again lol.
"
body armour does a fine job of filling the pauldron slot

The pauldron would have something that(outside of uniques) only it would do. Boots can have movement speed, gloves can have attack and minion damage, body armour can have up to six sockets etc.. Also, I want to add that pauldrons could be like jewelry and not have a 3d model. I mean if belts can be jewelry, then so can pauldrons.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info