Gladiator reave bleed build? I think so!

Hey! I have been away from PoE for a bit and would like to get back in. I was looking for a weapon that picked my interest to make a build with, and I found Rive, terror claw, which gives bleeding on hit. I picked it because it allows me to go over to the shadow area for DoT, and better life leech (voidheart could be used with a dagger, but I want to be able to make this build in a future league as well). Combining Rive with the gladiator skill tree bleed damage and explosion, clear speed should be fairly easy.

I think my five link will be
Reave, Melee physical damage, Multistike, faster attacks, and increased AoE.
Six link to he determined.

For my auras, I will run blasphemy vulnerability, and punishment for damage. Which means I will use a Deordre's ring or a corrupted amulet.
Unless I need defence, in which I will use grace instead of punishment.

Other gear will be
as well as an atziris step, and chest is to be determined.

Passive skill tree will be http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAQCAE2SI_aNfQz3qZWsr8C_j5kEhzJO7g7-un11WhrDM3aCyAy00SFgxyqbLV85sKsFLXTteu8Y27Gz-WNvV9YHFf2KOEscRfRkr4_BjYFh4lVLJpUM8qXLYqydqmyMZU1Hfr02vqeE2UMxhO8vzGLswYJNRr54CiYg4waLPQCBm1_abNjTfuywjAu5fHiuPeJI7vzFmmrgnwVmbycj09rBveZU_gguBLEbrXsUNj0WvxmO7YMAXhR1QKAV8AX5bWy0xVuvdPGyGTIBz3oppejWo4q1SOOfh3ZKfed0DY2bJk4qkAqK8MSCu54uI5OZ

If you have any advice or tips, please let me know. If you have a version of this build, please let me know. Thanks!
Last bumped on Aug 1, 2016, 8:20:43 AM
Note, I don not have as much critical chance as I would like.
You don't really need a Rive, the base bleed chance Gladiator gives you is enough to consistently bleed everything. Bleed doesn't stack and your attack speed is so high that almost everything will explode anyway.

Trying to get poison will be quite nice too, as you get the DoT passives already (that little chance given by dirty techniques is not enough). That will help you a lot with single target damage. Temporal chains over punishment would be both an offensive (poison duration) and defensive curse.

You may be going a bit overboard with the leech, you should test it and see how much you really need.

Picking Survivalist node is also a good defensive choice, that maximum cold resistance is quite useful, and you are just 2 points from it.
Last edited by Adser on Jul 26, 2016, 5:21:30 PM
I have been thinking about switching it to make it viperstrike instead. It is needing Melee splash, but with a six link

Viperstrike, Melee splash, Melee physical, void manipulation, faster attacks?
And 6l reduced duration,, to increase hit damage as well as DoT.

I would agree about the 50% chance to bleed I get from the tree being enough, but I had a build with 50% and it exploded only about 2 of every 10.

I think I will go single curse, and grace.

I would instead use a Ming's to get increased chaos damage, as well as a belly of the beast to help make up for the life loss from the ring.

And, is there such a thing as too much leech? If so, what would you change. Thank you! 😀
With 50% chance to bleed you need about 2 hits in average before a mob dies. If they are not exploding, then you really didn't need the explosion in the first place, as they are so weak you are sweeping them off. It can be annoying if you are counting on the explosions to quick-kill rares in the middle of a pack, but the DPS difference from using a good 1 handed weapon should be more than enough.

You can go Multistrike on a viperstrike, as the damage penalty does not double dips on the poison damage.

Ming is a nice pure dps ring, but that makes it even more important to get a good 1 handed weapon, make that life penalty be worth it :P

Well, if you are hitting the leech cap then any extra leech you get is not really useful. As you should be using blood rage, that gives you 1.2 life leech already, you should have no problem in capping your leech. Try fighting with no real investment in leech and if you haven't reached the leech cap yet then you can invest more.

About mana leech, melee skills have such a low mana cost that almost any amount of mana leech should allow you keep your attacks up. Getting more mana that what you use is a waste.
Last edited by Adser on Jul 26, 2016, 7:32:57 PM
Multi strike instead of faster attacks. I knew I was forgetting something. Thanks, lol.

As for using a rare,i may get a good one and try it out in comparison to Rive. But well see how it does. (I need to look into it, but with Multistike if the first hit doesn't bleed, the repeat hits will not either, just like critting), so it takes a decent amount to make them bleed, at least it did when I ran a rather pathetic low dps reave. Lots of hits and some still didn't bleed.

As for the life leech, I took the life leech side out of the tree and added those 4 points to survivalist and one jewel slot.

Would the viperstrike jewel (2% increased damage with viperstrike per poison stack on enemy) be useful, or naw?

And here is the new passive tree.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAQCAE2SI_aNfQz3qZWsr8C_j5kEhzJO7g7-un11WhrDM3aCyAy00SFgxyqbLV85sKsFLXTteu8Y27Gz-WPWBxX9SxyPwY2BYeJVSyaVDPKly2KsnapsjGVNR369Nr6nhNlDMYTvL8xi7MGCTUa-eAomIOMGiz0AgZtf2mzY037ssIwLuXx4rj3iSO78xZLzXkWaauCfBWZvJyPT2sGVzL3m7T9U_gguBLEbrXsUNj0WvxmO7YMAXhR1QKAV8AX5bWy0xVuvdPGyGTIBz3oppejWo4q1SOOfh3ZKfed0DY2bJk4qkAqK8MSCu54uI5OZAAAAAA==
To be perfectly honest, I consider myself not experienced enough for my comments to be of amuch use here, but I think that a rive-focused build would work best with an assassin. The bleed enables the poison/maim combo quite well and it also gives you the additional chaos damage.
Not sure about the viper strike jewel, but with a weapon with high base speed and multistrike, it might have pretty good boss killing potential.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
OK, thank you. I went with duelist cause I find it easier to lvl up with, and I get Much better spell defence and attack defence from blocking, which i found it very handy on my varunastra earthquake build last league. And I'm not into like any critting nodes. I also think that exploding enemies, like shattering, is defensive, and also VERY fun. I think I will run a duelist and a shadow version f this build and let ya know which one ands up the winner.

Rive only has 1.5base aps, but I think with my tree and Multistike, I can get about 7 attacks per second. Maybe. Thus ending up in 14% increased damage to enemy every second for, with reduced duration, probs about 5 seconds, for a total of 70% increased. +12% increased DoT. Ehh, it may be handy.

Thanks again. Did I miss anything?
"
EpicMaster207 wrote:
(I need to look into it, but with Multistike if the first hit doesn't bleed, the repeat hits will not either, just like critting)

Nnnope. Only Crits function this way (and due to the Crit Confirm roll, even that is not 100% accurate!). On-Hit effects are rolled per individual Hit, which means a single Reave swing can Bleed one enemy but not the other.
I started out wiht a similar idea to yours this league, it has slightly changed from the basic idea but still is based around rive, bleed, poison etc... it works surprisingly well and probably the most fun I had with a melee character and it can do any map tier deathless and with good clear speed, nothing insanely OP but great fun to play. Have a look at my character DanGun, saves me linking everything here :)
good luck!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info