To coc or not to coc - that is the question

cock of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRWztS3_L84

CoC is lame tho
just whip it out.
Why wait? Just go for it now.

As for the upcoming nerf, remember- GGG already nerfed CoC 5 times or something and it's still hilariously broken. Don't worry.
"
Bars wrote:
Do yourself a favour and play wand barrage coc - chain - ek - bladefall instead of the stupid bow builds. It's vastly superior.

I played on standard with someone using a build similar to this and his clear speed was very good. But still slower than coc+discharge builds.
Last edited by toyotatundra on Jul 28, 2016, 2:02:25 AM
"
toyotatundra wrote:
"
Bars wrote:
Do yourself a favour and play wand barrage coc - chain - ek - bladefall instead of the stupid bow builds. It's vastly superior.

I played on standard with someone using a build similar to this and his clear speed was very good. But still slower than coc+discharge builds.

If you build it right, the difference should be unnoticeable, if any. The combination of chain + herald of ice and hatred clears extremely well. I regularly offscreened the plateau and precinct bosses with this build. Anyway, I was discussing ranged builds since the guy mentioned he's thinking about quill rain coc. A wand coc build would be very similar to a bow, just better.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
I tried using The Tempest with 100% pierce spark and going for CoC from the get go. The thing was still riding hard on its 1-80 lightning base, HoT and a stray sparkie or two at level 50. Actually, it was so broken I abandoned it, there's only so much power I can handle.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
Bars wrote:
"
toyotatundra wrote:
"
Bars wrote:

If you build it right, the difference should be unnoticeable, if any. The combination of chain + herald of ice and hatred clears extremely well. I regularly offscreened the plateau and precinct bosses with this build. Anyway, I was discussing ranged builds since the guy mentioned he's thinking about quill rain coc. A wand coc build would be very similar to a bow, just better.

Im already have an idea for a wand coc build.
It just so happen that I have a 6L es chest I actually crated (started with 1s white ilvl 100 vaal regalia) and as much as Im proud of making it, its jst sits in my stash.
as you seems to be experiance in coc wand builds maybe you could have a look a the tree and let me know what you think:
YES I support the game, NO I don't agree with many GGG decisions

Lab still sucks balls.

I miss Zana already.
Last edited by Miazga on Jul 28, 2016, 5:05:24 AM
@Miazga:
About_the_build

A few adjustments to passive tree + reasoning:

tree

- you really want the Melding cluster + an energy from within jewel if you're gonna play a CI build
- Primal spirit and Finesse are excellent - they give you mana, strength and dex, attack speed and accuracy - you will want and need all of these
- Doom Cast and Annihilation are way too good to skip
- removed the aura cluster, you won't need it with the setup I'm going to recommend
- took two more jewels, jewel sockets are extremely good for this build in endgame. You can easily find jewels with three damage-increasing stats and even jewels with four if you are willing to pay well. Ways to scale damage with jewels: phys dmg, spell dmg, global crit multi, spell crit multi, attack speed with wands, attack speed while holding a shield, attack speed
- selected passive point instead of phys dmg from bandit reward - this build is point-heavy and I would personally opt for the flexibility of one more passive point, also a large portion of your damage will be elemental
- switched over from Assassinate to Toxic Delivery. Reason: first off, when you hit something with barrage and it procs CoC, your target is no longer on full life. You will also have a capped 95% crit chance with barrage, so Ambush will be wasted anyway. About Assassinate, it sounds good in theory but in reality you will oneshot everything apart from map bosses and you will kill even map bosses so quickly, you won't actually feel its effects. Toxic Delivery, on the other hand, will sometimes be felt. The barrage hits will apply bleeds, and then EK and Bladefall will have a chance to apply a super-buffed poison which deals a lot of damage. You can, for example, hit a boss once or twice and kite it while it dies from the poison. In the end, these are just details and the Assassinate route also works almost or just as well. Just a matter of preference, really.

Now, about the build itself:

6-link setup: you will have a big fucking problem there. My setup uses 5 green slots. Getting 5 green on a vaal regalia is next to impossible and will cost you many exalts in chromatic orbs - if you're lucky. A compromise would be to just use a different setup - perhaps replace bladefall or chain with arc. This will probably slow down the clear speed but it should still be good. Getting 4g on the chest armour will still be tricky. I would probably go with barrage level 1 (to keep mana cost down) - CoC - chain - arc - bladefall - controlled destruction.

other gem setups:

(3L) hatred + herald of ash + enlighten
(3L) herald of ice + curse on hit + assassin's mark
- the idea of this setup is to maintain your power charges. When you kill a pack, mobs explode with HoI and curse their neighbours with ass mark milliseconds before they explode too. What this does in practice is keeping your power charges up between packs.

Now, this will leave you with hatred, HoA and HoI and something like 97% reserved mana. Since the build is intelligence-heavy, your passive mana regen will be enough to sustain barrage for 2-3 attacks on its own. What you are going to do is get a jewel with +2 mana gain on hit. Just that, combined with the mana regen, will be sufficient to sustain your barrage without any issues.

(4L) cwdt lvl 1 - ice spear - GMP - PCoC > this is your third power charge generator besides from the assassin pasive and the curse on hit HoI - ass mark

(4L) cwdt lvl 1 - warlord's mark - increased duration - immortal call
- what this setup does is ensure you some leech and give you almost a second against phys reflect mobs, which doesn't sound as too much but actually helps a lot

Now, this will leave you with one unused 4l setup of your choice. Bear in mind that your unreserved mana will be very low, probably around 40-50, and will make a lot of spells unsustainable. I personally used flame dash for movement and another lvl 1 cwdt setup with a golem and I forgot what else, but you can choose something else.

Gear:
- Piscator's is like an entry level wand at day 1 or 2. I found a much better wand at day 3 of Prophecy league. It gives no spell damage, spell crit or crit multi. This makes it a super-budget solution and nothing else. What you want is a wand like this:
http://poe.trade/search/ezaukoromiuitu
or this: http://poe.trade/search/ohenasariniuke

As for dual wielding, I strongly recommend using a high-ES shield instead. The shield is the second most important source of ES and damage will be more than enough anyway, no need to compromise that by dual wielding.

About accuracy, you need 250 or more on two items out of 3 possible slots: 2 rings, helmet. I assume the amulet will be Eye of Chauyla.

Helmet: what I did was buy an ilvl84 hubris circlet with the 2 additional barrage projectiles enchant and chaos spam it until I got something satisfactory (it was life, accuracy and resists for my build, you'll want ES and accuracy).

Gloves: facebreakers rule here, no contest

Boots: good rare ES boots or Brineror Whalers

Dealing with reflect: atziri flask + taste of hate + the immortal call setup. You'll sometimes hit offscreen reflect mobs which will be impossible to pre-flask but you shouldn't oneshot yourself in them. I didn't at 4800 life and you'll have quite a bit more ES. Of course, the safest option will be a lifeleech gem but I don't think you'll want that, it's another offcolour in an already way too offcolour-heavy 6-link setup.

Now, all of this was written in a hurry and I may very well have missed something. Regardless, it should at least give you some ideas.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Jul 28, 2016, 6:42:54 AM
@ Bars.

TYVM dude, this is more then I expected as a answer to such a vague sketch of a build :)
These wands man, they will be gone by the time i get back home from work (not like i sit on poe forums all day while in office...) but will try to get something similar.
I will revise my build to include the proposals you made. 1 hand + shield is a good option too, I even though of giving this (
Spoiler
) wacky shield a go, but I got a feeling this is hinder me more then help, so will get some titanium rare shield instead.

I'm getting fired up to do a coc wand build more and more now :P i like the mid leveling to early end game part the most, but i promised myself to get my split arrow inquisitor to 90 and one gem to lvl 20 for another 2 challanges, as I would like to get to 36 this league.

now all I need is to figure out a way to get GGGGGB or GGGGBR on the chest :P...starting to save chromas , now !

PS: from vorici calc:

Craft Type Vorici 2G
Success Chance 0.14529%
Average Attempts 688.3
cost per try 25
avg cost in chroms 17,206.5
std.diviation 687.76

this may be hard ;)
YES I support the game, NO I don't agree with many GGG decisions

Lab still sucks balls.

I miss Zana already.
Last edited by Miazga on Jul 28, 2016, 7:11:26 AM
I would recommend just going for 4G. The cost is still steep but much more reasonable. If you want to play for 5 offcolour on a vaal regalia, you should have 20 spare exalt orbs and it's not guaranteed even then.

The other reasonable option is selling your vaal regalia and buying a 6-link Atziri's splendor or evasion/es base. You can go for five green there. It's actually what I would do if I had to play CI.

Third option: playing it life-based with a 6l belly. You will, of course, be at less hitpoints - I was at 4800 life and ~800 ES with my build. Which means you will sometimes die even if you oneshot everything. This only matters if you want to level past 90. I hit 92 with my guy.

Advantages: getting 5g on belly is a piece of cake, cheaper and easier gearing, can use life flasks, can use a volley fire jewel in the slot above Acuity, not caring about ES on helmet and shield makes it easier to get accuracy on helmet and spell damage / spell crit on shield.

my life-based tree

Fourth option: if you don't want to be a glass cannon, you can play life/ES hybrid with Ghost Reaver and VP to sustain your ES and some chaos resist + atziri flask to not die to chaos damage. The Shadow is actually the most suited for life/es hybrids with the numerous life/es nodes nearby. This will allow you to have more or less the same total hitpoints as with a CI build, still be able to use life flasks and deal with the 5g problem. The disadvantage - more expensive than pure life. Solid life/es chests, shields and helmets aren't cheap. Regardless, it's what I would have done if I cared about leveling after 92.
Last edited by Bars on Jul 28, 2016, 7:44:41 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info